Sore throat since early August

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
I have a major sore throat that my quack thinks might be a virus.

Its awful with a big white spot of uber soreness on one side of the throat.

Could all the cycling and breathing in icy cold air in the mornings be stopping me from shaking it off? Its doing my head in.
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Possibly. You might try using a face mask or a buff to 'pre-heat' the air.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I have a buff but I inhale it when I'm gasping for air on steep hills :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    try and stay off dairy products, is it an infection, or a ulcer, rash? I would go back and see the doctor again maybe a different one especially if you've had it since the begining of August, there is something wrong. If your not happy keep asking.

hope it gets better soon.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    That's a long time to have a sore throat. As solsurf has said, go and badger your GP. Unless your cycling is eyeballs out all the time it shouldn't affect your recovery too badly. I'm pretty certain cold air is not a factor.

Any other environmental causes you can think of? Have you got any damp in your house, for example? Mold spores are nasty things.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Sounds rather like oral candida (google images and see if it looks similar). If so has your GP done any blood tests to check your immune system status? Are you on any asthma inhalers or long term steroids/antibiotics or diabetic (all of which can encourage this). If it doesn't look like candida and you have a white patch that has persisted for 2 months and is sore you need to be referred to an ENT clinic incase it is leucoplakia, it will probably need a biopsy in this case.

Your GP should have no problem doing this for you.
  • Thanks for the advice. It doesn't look like either of those two things. I do think it could be an ulcer though.

It's all flared up after I got submerged in the sea at Pembrey.

My GP is a disinterested and dismissive type and I don't see the point going there to be treated like a time waster, even though this is the first time in 5 years I have been to the doctors.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    It's one of those baby octopi gestating inside you.

Seriously, see another doctor. Don't take any crap from them.
  • Yeah I need to change my doctors.

I thought it was finally getting better over the last couple of days but its not feeling too good right now.

Still I'll be cycling in to work at 6am tomorrow morning and the cold, damp and scary unlit dark bits of my commute will take my mind of it.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    You should get this checked by a competent doctor asap.

My farther-in-law had the exact same symptom and it turned out to be something more serious than a virus.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Go to the doctor. Although other posters may have good info, bicycling forums are not where you should be getting your medical advice.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    You should get this checked by a competent doctor asap.

My farther-in-law had the exact same symptom and it turned out to be something more serious than a virus.

What was that then? :?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Don't want to scare you but it was Lymphoma.
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Hi there,

I have had similar symptoms in the past, i.e. white/yellow blob(s) on throat/tonsil area along with long-term sore throat. I am very prone to it now, and know the signs, and instantly rest. It is usually, for me, the first sign of a virus (or a lingering virus that I can't shake off), and/or stress, and/or over-doing things both exercise wise and late-night wise and work-wise etc etc. I have had ME too, as a result of a double-whammy flu thing that I didn't let rest properly and it just lingered for 1.25 yrs - sore throat and blobs was one of the many symptoms. So I would advise - see another Dr. and don't cycle into work every morning, and get lots of relaxation and rest. If it's a lingering virus your body needs time and energy to get rid of it. There is no way I would be cycling to work when I get the sore throat and blob, honestly.

By the way, have you tried removing the blob yourself? With mine, I can sort of squeeze them out (they are quite hard) by pushing with a finger or pencil just next to them so they pop out. Quite revolting, sorry everyone! Then gargle TCP or something. If it's not that type of blob, then I've probably been barking up the wrong tree!

Edit - mine are tonsil stones
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

take care,
    Lucy
  • Well I did ask Gazzaputt :shock:

My problem is exactly where them tonsil stones are but I still think it is an ulcer.

I am booked to see another doctor tomorrow but I am not confident it will help, although ironically my throat has not been so bad today.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Well, it's chronic tonsillitis and the other GP has given me a course of Penicillin to clear it up.

I'll be sure to refuse to see the other GP if I need to go back in future.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Well, it's chronic tonsillitis and the other GP has given me a course of Penicillin to clear it up.

I'll be sure to refuse to see the other GP if I need to go back in future.

I can imagine you're feeling somewhat relieved... that's good-ish news.
    Rules are for fools.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You may want to take it easy on the bike to make a full recovery. Things like that can flare up if you get tired.
  • MichaelW wrote:
    You may want to take it easy on the bike to make a full recovery. Things like that can flare up if you get tired.

Yes, I will have to feed the car with petrol and use that all week.

I've been doing 10 hour 6 days weeks with 7am starts for a while but I am just doing 9 to 5 Monday to Friday next week so I can have a lay in.

And all this weekend I will just slob about.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick