fork upgrade

mith150176
mith150176 Posts: 41
edited October 2010 in MTB general
I have recently bought a cube hardtail(http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2010)I am wondering out of curiosity if the suspension could be upgraded to 120/150mm travel?

Comments

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I think you bought the wrong bike if you want to do that.
    But if you do nothing more than cross country you don't need an upgrade, the current fork is decent enough.
  • a lot of cross country, but sometimes trail centres at weekends.was thinking of the ocassional downhills-do u not think it would suit the geometry of the bike up to 120mm?
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    If I remember correctly, those Manitou forks aren't adjustable in travel.

The bike will probably handle 120mm travel forks, 150mm may rip your headtube off though.
  • psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    i used to work there, and i used to build them. in fact i probably know the guy who built it!

a 120mm fork wouldnt be too bad. but check the manual as longer forks have more shearing force, although the top/down tubes look strong.
    itd slow the handling down, but that might be a good thing, but raise the toptube so less standover (a tiny bit)

personally, from memory, id fit a shorter stem and wider bars, these are typical euro bikes with long stem and skinny bars.
  • ok,thanks i'll bear that in mind.what would u expect to pay for 120mm air forks of the same standard?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you really want to do some proper downhilling, and need a bigger fork, then you need a more suited bike imho.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    je james has sale on all there rock shox,i have 100mm travel on my genesis and do xc and trail centres and have no problem with my forks
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    mith150176 wrote:
    ok,thanks i'll bear that in mind.what would u expect to pay for 120mm air forks of the same standard?
    At least £250, or almost the third of the bike's price.

I would go with shorter stem as mentioned, give it a try.