Strange 3 Wheel Recliner

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Whilst I was pushing myself through the City to Covent Garden, I spied a strange looking 3 wheeler by the Bank Of England being filmed by a crew on a motorbike. It was orangey/yellow and featured a full body fairing with an enclosed cockpit. Nothing like I've ever seen before I must admit - any ideas?

Comments

• Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    imagesqtbnand9gcqr7kif9.jpg was not that by any chance?
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    Do you mean recumbent? A recliner is a chair that lays back. If you saw one of those on three wheels being followed through London traffic by a film crew, that IS interesting!
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Valy wrote:
    imagesqtbnand9gcqr7kif9.jpg was not that by any chance?

Deffo not that, front wheel was a cycle size and was inside the "body", as were the back 2. The best way I can describe is the front end of Thunderbird 4, so if you look at the below picture and to the left of the black lines, then you get an idea. It was also slightly more rounded on the nose (aerodynamic?)...

mtb4a.jpg
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    That sounds like a velomobile. Wikipedia has an article with pictures, scroll down for something similar to what you describe. I understand they're popular in the (flat) Netherlands. There are many variations in design, some being fully faired with an enclosed cockpit, although most of them are of a "tadpole" configuration (two wheels at the front, one at the rear) rather than the "delta" layout you describe...
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is a 3-wheeled recumbant I see round Coventry frequantly, has a flag pole with flag and lights for visibility, 2 front 1 rear on that, no bodywork though!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    The Gadget Show were filming yesterday in Fenchurch St. Some orange enclosed 3 wheeler. They also had Monopoly signs up, so perhaps Bank was their next destination....?

Suppose you'll havev to watch the show to find out....