Sweaty Feet or Cold Toes

sc999cs
sc999cs Posts: 596
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
When the weather is on the border of being pleasantly mild or cold would you rather wear thermal socks/ overshoes etc and get sweaty feet or normal socks and have cold toes?
Steve C

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Cold feet? Pull the other one.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    My feet get frozen even on hot sunny days, so i'm dreading any long rides now.

I've still not found a solution to stop it happening either. Any advice, oh great gods of bikeradar?
    us0.png
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Goretex shoes to keep the wind out and remember to stop to loosen them after 30mins or so as your feet swell up and the circulation then stops!

Even now I can wear my gortex shoes with thin summer socks and my feet stay a pleasant temperature unless standing around for a while.
  • Having had chilblains last winter I am all about warm feet this year.

They were awful. Just awful.
  • Warm feet every time.
  • FeynmanC wrote:
    My feet get frozen even on hot sunny days, so i'm dreading any long rides now.

I've still not found a solution to stop it happening either. Any advice, oh great gods of bikeradar?

I suffered from numb toes last year.

This year I have changed the pedals back to toe clips to allow me to wear whatever shoes I need.

I have walking shoes and boots which I can wear ski socks under and even layer underneath the ski socks.

However for this level of socks/shoes I am sure it will be under zero degrees and I cannot see the roads being safe from ice at that temperature but that is for another thread!
  • http://www.lazyboneuk.com/products/Batt ... Socks.html

I'm a 'cold feet' rider, overshoes don't come out the drawer until Jan :)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Go Goretex and wear wicking socks. Should lbe able to have warm and dry feet!
  • Warm toes every time..

Any recommendations on good overshoes? The ones I got last year are on the way out (mtb shoes so the tread tends to 'eat' the bottom. Quite fancy some with reflective scotchlite on them so I can have whirling silver feet at night :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Normal short socks and Spesh Taho MTB shoes, never too hot or too cold, so I can't vote as there is no 'just right' option!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I heve the worst of both worlds, cold on the commute rising to sweaty as the day goes on.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    This morning I had cold sweaty feet. Note to self nappy bags in between two pairs of sock does not work.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Sweaty Feet. I would rather stink than be cold (my work colleagues love me)