2 Etapes confirmed, strange dates?

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited October 2010 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/503894/two-seperate-dates-for-this-year-s-etapes.html
2 Etapes confirmed but isn't it a bit of a shame that the first is so many days ahead of the actual Stage 19. I would have thought they'd be more sympathetic to those wanting to do the Stage 19 Etape and then watch the actual stage.

Comments

• cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    Looks like 'Marmotte Lite'
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Not much point in doing 'Marmotte Lite' is there?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    We'll see, this could have people queuing round the block. The sort of rider who might be scared off by the prospect of 100+ miles will now be interested.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Kléber wrote:
    We'll see, this could have people queuing round the block. The sort of rider who might be scared off by the prospect of 100+ miles will now be interested.
    Without a doubt, going to be sold out in no time.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Yeah, for someone like me who is very much a recreational rider who can't get as many miles in as I'd like, this is definitely more appealing.
    Love the idea of doing the Etape but it's the distance for me.
    Saying that, the Telegraphe, Galibier and Alpe d'Huez in the space of 60 odd miles!
    I take it there will still be cut offs etc...having not read the article.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Yeah i was considering the Alpe ride, but i'm planning on going down for the stage, so their dates don't really work for me.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    It will be sold out, but agree that it is definetly a "Marmotte lite", if you can call those climbs "lite". If the thought of only 60 miles appeals to the less prepared rider, there could be some suffering people by they time they get to La Garde.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Having done the Etape a few years ago (Pau to Hautacam), I'm surprised it's taken ASO so long to expand the format and increase the number of rides - it's a licence to print money. Demand for this year's ride to the Alpe will be mega - 109km is very doable, even with relatively modest preperation.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    The other less glamourous ride in the Massif Central will be the harder one of the two. It will be further, faster and the hills in that area jus tkeep on coming. The roads are usually heavy as well!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Interesting to see people assess the ride as more doable because it's only 109km, I see the point, but it's a very hilly course and I personally am not frightened by distances, it's the climbing that wears most people out.
    Of course that might mean we'll get lots of novices attempting it who might have looked simply at the distance and thought "I do that every weekend"...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    seems like a good idea to have two although they are saying it is 6000 for each rather than the 10,000 for one they usually have so not that many extra places.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I'm surprised it's taken ASO so long to expand the format and increase the number of rides - it's a licence to print money.

I did l'étape de légende a few years back from Strasbourg to the Ballon d'Alsace. I gather it was greatly undersubscribed. which is a shame as it was an excellent event. No real mountains, but the hills just kept coming, all 213km of them. Haven't seen that event advertised again.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    my French is non existent. I've tried the official etape web site but still don't know how to enter. Any ideas?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    sherer wrote:
    seems like a good idea to have two although they are saying it is 6000 for each rather than the 10,000 for one they usually have so not that many extra places.

Probably no extra places in reality. The ASO are going to do a "combined classification" for riders who complete both - so they are already offering an incentive to riders to double book.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    dandrew wrote:
    my French is non existent. I've tried the official etape web site but still don't know how to enter. Any ideas?

Go to the main site

http://www.letapedutour.com/

When you click on the links for the Tour ones you can then click the Union Jack to read them in English. The Roubaix one is French only at the moment
  • Think the Roubaix Sportive is a bit of a let down. Quite liked the idea of doing an event similar to Flanders before the race on the Sunday. But there's only one distance, rather than the 3 the summer event used to have (I think). And it doesn't even finish in Roubaix. Surely riding round the velodrome would be/is one of the best parts of going over to ride the course?