Would you scalp George Osborne

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Yep, lets talk politics.

Courtesy of the BBC: - Spending review at a glance.
Chancellor George Osborne has announced the government's four-year Spending Review to Parliament, revealing some of the deepest cuts in public spending in decades.

The key announcements:

* About 490,000 public sector jobs likely to be lost
* Average 19% four-year cut in departmental budgets
* Structural deficit to be eliminated by 2015
* £7bn in additional welfare budget cuts
* Police funding cut by 4% a year
* Retirement age to rise from 65 to 66 by 2020
* NHS budget protected; £2bn extra for social care
* Schools budget to rise every year until 2015
* £30bn capital spending on transport
* Permanent bank levy

How do you feel about it?

Will you go all France, pitchforks sharpened? Will a younger generation invent a new style of music just to express their frustrations with this emerging new society? Or do you think this right, just and a masterstroke that will usher a golden era?

Will the Greg's once again be allowed to slap poor people across the face with money? What do you think the future holds?

But seriously what's your thoughts?

Discuss.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That yet another Labour Govt left us knee-deep in the financial do-do again?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    The Greggs can slap me round the face with money as long as they use £50 notes I can then keep :lol:

Need to read the fine print over the coming weeks to find out how shafted I will be, unless all my nephews/nieces are in high-paying jobs or own their own business to fund my miniscule future pension.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Our structural deficit clearly means we couldn't afford those jobs anyway. We spend £34bn a year on interest payments to service our current debt alone; I don't think Ocean Finance are going to help so I guess we had better rein in our spending.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Or do you think this right, just and a masterstroke that will usher a golden era?

1) Right? Cuts have to be made so in a sense it is "right". If you look at public spending, it assumes a level of growth that we don't have at the moment

2) Just? The cuts are deeper than they need to be and target groups that the Tories don't like, such as unions. But the Tories were elected by the schmucks that are getting the sack. In a sense, democracy is a chance to make the wrong choices

3) Golden era? Usually golden eras require an optimistic out look. I think most commentators agree that the next few years are going to be shit
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    My thoughts.

Who are the Greggs?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    cjcp wrote:

Thats what you're meant to think.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    have to say, i'd like to smack up up-side his smug little head.
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:

I thin Darling's 'comedy' note saying 'Sorry, there's no money left....' that he left on his desk for Osborne kinda makes you think that was his opinion too.

As for who the Greggs are; either bakers or bankers, I always get them confused. Either way they are likely to do ok out of this.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    suzyb wrote:
    My thoughts.

Who are the Greggs?

They make cheap baked goods.

Cuts like this just mean that everyone has to look out for number one. We can't afford the luxury of compassion or empathy.
  • notsoblue
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I thin Darling's 'comedy' note saying 'Sorry, there's no money left....' that he left on his desk for Osborne kinda makes you think that was his opinion too.

As for who the Greggs are; either bakers or bankers, I always get them confused. Either way they are likely to do ok out of this.

If you're going to quote that, at least credit the right guy...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010 ... -successor
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Cafewanda wrote:
    The Greggs can slap me round the face with money as long as they use £50 notes I can then keep :lol:

blah blah blah

find out how shafted I will be.

ahem

How many notes exactly, now that we agree in principal and are now just talking terms.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • asprilla
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Sorry. Politicians all look the same to me though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • notsoblue
    Asprilla wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Really? Jeeze, in that case, I'd hate to think that you might have voted in the last election! Please tell me you didn't :P
  • asprilla
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Really? Jeeze, in that case, I'd hate to think that you might have voted in the last election! Please tell me you didn't :P

Of course I didn't vote; I voted LibDem, in Surrey.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Cafewanda
    edited October 2010
    Greg T wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

blah blah blah

ahem

How many notes exactly, now that we agree in principal and are now just talking terms.

Let me do some in-depth research and I'll get back to you. Need to use a calculator plus acquire medical personnel for the occasion :)

Edit: A mere 200 notes...... Not greedy, me 8)
  • notsoblue
    Asprilla wrote:
    Of course I didn't vote; I voted LibDem, in Surrey.....

Actually, voting LibDem *anywhere* appears to have been a waste of time :(
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Let me do some in-depth research and I'll get back to you. Need to use a calculator plus acquire medical personnel for the occasion :)

You only need a very short and cheeky nurses uniform....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    notsoblue wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    My thoughts.

Who are the Greggs?

They make cheap baked goods.

Cuts like this just mean that everyone has to look out for number one. We can't afford the luxury of compassion or empathy.
    So no change then.
  • Cafewanda
    Greg T wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

You only need a very short and cheeky nurses uniform....

Acquired :lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Just found this, which may be relevant :D
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Greg T wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

blah blah blah

ahem

Devil take the hindmost.

That will be your end then.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

That what has to be done is necessary and unpleasant.

That winning the election was a poisoned chalice.

That the country is in a period of vacillation between the two major parties, and in all likelihood we will next revert to a Lab Govt, or a Lab-led coalition. And we're in for a few terms of red/blue/red/blue, much like the 1970s.

That no one likes having to suffer the consequences of mess being cleaned up: Thatcher would almost certainly have lost at the end of her first term, absent the Falklands war (one certainty is that no war will save a British Govt for a while).

That I think it was wrong to protect the NHS.

That the weight of public sector infrastructure created by the last govt was simply too great to sustain, and its cost far outweighed its benefits.

Probably some other stuff too.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Cafewanda
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just found this, which may be relevant :D

Might stop at the chippie in defiance. Drinks on standby :lol:
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ...That I think it was wrong to protect the NHS...

Hell yes. Utterly ridiculous.
    Rules are for fools.
  • notsoblue
    Waddlie wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Why?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Waddlie wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I imagine it's still considered political suicide to be seen to cut the NHS, which rather confirms my suspicions that the cuts are as much ideologically as financially motivated.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Waddlie wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

The reason is that one generation do a lot of the voting and they'll need the NHS more than most over the next couple of decades.

Should have been first on the list for cuts. Well second, after housing benefit.
    exercise.png
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Waddlie wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah, the poor and the sick get on my nerves too

Let them die
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    notsoblue wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Why?

The NHS budget is enormous; apparently larger than defence and education combined (I'm sure I read this today but can't find the link. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.) We like to think of it being spent on doctors, nurses, drugs and hospitals. Sadly, it is also spent on layer upon layer of management, consultants, homeopaths and complete nonsense. Homeopaths, for God's sake. Have a look at Connecting For Health, how much it has cost and what it's achieved. To set the NHS aside and pretend there isn't a substantial amount of fat that could be trimmed from it is ludicrous.
    Rules are for fools.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Waddlie wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Why?

The NHS budget is enormous; apparently larger than defence and education combined (I'm sure I read this today but can't find the link. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.) We like to think of it being spent on doctors, nurses, drugs and hospitals. Sadly, it is also spent on layer upon layer of management, consultants, homeopaths and complete nonsense. Homeopaths, for God's sake. Have a look at Connecting For Health, how much it has cost and what it's achieved. To set the NHS aside and pretend there isn't a substantial amount of fat that could be trimmed from it is ludicrous.

It's also the third largest employer in the world, after the Chinese army and the Indian Railway! If that isn't a great example of a bloated government department ripe for a cull I don't know what is...