CAS on the 1 year salary lark

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2010 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cas-fin ... -not-valid

I think we all knew this was not enforcable, but I enjoyed this part most of all

“this initiative, put in place 19 days before the 2007 Tour, is nothing other than a public relations exercise with the aim of restoring the credibility and honesty of cycling in general. The UCI does not have sufficient legal basis to claim payment of a contribution based on the signing of this commitment by the riders
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I thought you'd like that.

I bet the Mantua Engine feels a bit daft today.
  • This wording:-

“I accept, if it should happen that I violate the rules and am granted a standard sanction of a two-year suspension or more, in the Puerto affair or in any other anti-doping proceedings, to pay the UCI, in addition to the standard sanctions, an amount equal to my annual salary for 2008 as a contribution to the fight against doping.”

If your banned/retired in 2007, your 2008 salary won't amount to much anyway. A major loophole, with or without legal basis? :roll:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The UCI is really struggling these days, everything they touch turns to disaster.

This example reeked of a media stunt cooked up in the heat of the Puerto scandal. What is even more daft is that the UCI actually tried to enforce it, that they tried to claw the money out of Vino.

If you want to get so much as a fiver out of someone you need a watertight contract, it will probably run to several pages that specify which country's law is to apply, what definition of salary is and many other important precisions. If you don't get these basics right, you're asking for trouble. What is more embarrassing is the way the UCI actually believed this version of a Scout's Promise.
  • iainf72
  • iainf72
    Nice blog post from 39teeth

http://theinnerring.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... t-top.html

It is true - When they make these "agreements", why don't they lawyer up in advance and draw formal contracts?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    When they make these "agreements", why don't they lawyer up in advance and draw formal contracts?
    Because it's all talk, just like Teflon Tony's pronunciations on crime & ejookashun.
    Good soundbites for press & public consumption.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.