1 X 10 Gearing set up

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Thinking of swapping my HT to a 10 spd set up - with a 11-36 cassette and a single ring on the front.

Questions are: What size front ring do people use - I am thinking a 32 to start off and see how I get on with that but would be interested to know what others use and where they ride! What chainring would anyone recommend - makes - looked at the Shimano Saint single ring with bash guard.

I will probably fit a basic chain device (superstar) as it seems sensible to make a single ring set up secure too.

While I am at it it would be great to up grade the fork, wheels and finishing kit and get the frame resprayed so my final question is - can anyone lend me some money! :wink:
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    running a 1x9 with a 34t FSA DH ring , £14.41 from ukbikesdepot.com, up front and a MRP 1.x. It's quite flat round here so don't need a 32t. Also haven't bothered with a bash.
    The superstar chain device is almost identical to the MRP one, but doesn't have the stoopid alu bolts that the factory round off for you.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I have a double up front, and find that I'm spinning out the 36tooth on long descents pretty easily. I use the granny from time to tiem because I'm a pussy.
    It depends on what terrain you're riding. If you don't go down to the granny very often I'd suggest a 36 otherwise you won't get the top end speed.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I was thinking of doing it for racing next year, with either a 34 or 36. Depends on the bike and the legs as much as anything!
  • paul.skibum
    Are you spinning out the 36t on the 11t at the rear though? My FS has a double set up at the front (22-32) and an 11-34 at the rear which I used in the Alps and didnt find I was spinning out on the big front and small rear except on fire roads by which time I was going plenty quick enough for my linking!

My HT currently has a 26-36-48 chainset and to keep the chain taight and stop it skipping at Afan this weekend I was running it on the big cog front and say the 3rd largest rear which left the chainline less than ideal but reduced slap - I found generally that this was pedallable still as well except when really motoring. On the ups I was dropping to the small but running on the 2nd largest at the rear.

So my thinking (without doing any maths) was that a 32 or 34 single ring chainset and a 11-36 rear 9 or 10 spd would be a good compromise - I can always play with the chainring size but if I can get it right first time out that'd be good!
  • njee20
    This is good if you want to work out which gears you'll lose.
  • paul.skibum
    :? Njee20 that may help you but its been 20+ years since i last did physics and that tells me nothing - what's a Gain Ratio? For example!
  • njee20
    It's simply the ratio, so 44:11 is 4:1.

Do it by MPH at a given speed if that's easier, it's just a comparison so you can see that (for example) if you had a 36 you're top gear would be equivalent to 44/12 or whatever!
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I managed to destroy a couple of rear mechs/hangers when in the middle ring and the big (climbing) gear at the back. Not sure what size these are but there is a big strain on the chain in that gear which gave up when the suspension took a quick impact (usually something like going into a ditch/hole and trying to power out the other side).

Might be worth considering if it's a FS with a single ring.....
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • njee20
    No particular reason for that frankly, if you were big/big I could understand it, but that should be fine.
  • paul.skibum
    I suppose it depends how taught your chainline is - my query is re a HT in any case. :wink:

I know I rarely use 48 x 11 (down hill tarmac maybe) probably 48 x 3rd or 4th from smallest cog (whatever size that is - 15/17t I guess) when cranking on flat and 48 x 5th or 6th (20/23?) for downs and undulations local to me Id go to 26 x 34 for long steep climbs spinning up but generally can make it round most things on the 36 at present.

So current 26/34 = 0.765
    but the 9 spd or 10 spd would be say 32/36 = 0.89

and at top 32/11 = 2.91 vs a current set up of 48/11 = 4.36

See that means nothing to me! I guess I stick a 34t cog on the front and try riding in that gear alone for a bit!
  • njee20
    Right... if you have an 11-34 the ratios are something like:

11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34

48/17 = 2.82

So... if you had a 32t single ring it would be roughly equivalent to your current big ring, 4th from bottom gear. See what I mean?
  • paul.skibum
    So a 32t front 11t rear is equivelant to a 48t on 17t in that they both equate to 2.82 or thereabouts ratio right? and a 32t to a 36t on the cassette is going to be harder work than a 26t granny to a 34t cassette by 0.89 to 0.76 but I tooled up Whites Level in granny and 2nd or 3rd biggest which equates to 0.87/1.0 give or take so all things being equal a single front ring and a 11-36 rear cassette would get me up the same hill.

Right on - cheers Njee. Now I just need some money.......