Ex team bikes......

Neil Buckley
Neil Buckley Posts: 334
edited November 2010 in Pro race
Apart from Garmin do any of the teams sell their kit off, that you know of?

Would be nice to get a few bargins, gotta be a cheap Cervelo somewere!!!
Helmand Province is such a nice place.....

Comments

• Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    There's a rumour that US Postal sold their bikes so maybe RadioShack now do the same :D
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Funny you should mention that - was talking to a guy on Saturday who has had a USP and and Astana team bike - must be some kind of cycle to work scheme eh !

He reckoned the Radioshack bikes weren't going to be available from the same channels anyway.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Thing is, would they be worth it? Yes, they are professionally maintained but they would have taken quite a bit of punishment! I have seen some ex-team bikes from smaller (US) teams on eBay but I'd rather something with "one careful lady owner" myself.
  • Pross wrote:
    Thing is, would they be worth it? Yes, they are professionally maintained but they would have taken quite a bit of punishment! I have seen some ex-team bikes from smaller (US) teams on eBay but I'd rather something with "one careful lady owner" myself.
    Not sure I'd want a lady's bike mate. Or are you thinking something like this:

Matt-Lucas-and-David-Wall-001.jpg
    Can I upgrade???
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Apart from Garmin do any of the teams sell their kit off, that you know of?

Would be nice to get a few bargins, gotta be a cheap Cervelo somewere!!!

Best advice would be to e-mail all the teams and see what you get back.

Depends on the bike some take loads of damage but i'm sure there must be a few frames that see little or no use.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Pross wrote:

Mos'def! Not sure i'd wanna be paying thousands, and it will be thousands judging from the Garmin ones last year, for a bike thats been ridden as hard as they will have...
  • If you would like a blue-fucsia Wilier, try here?

http://www.lampre-farnese.com/home/index_U.asp
  • I know team halfords sold their Boardman's off after their last season.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    You can find a bargain but these bikes get a battering in the year, being placed on roof racks, travelling by plane and getting jet washed.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I'd steer clear of anything from Rabobank in case Menchov's had his hands on it. :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Moomaloid wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Mos'def! Not sure i'd wanna be paying thousands, and it will be thousands judging from the Garmin ones last year, for a bike thats been ridden as hard as they will have...

I have one of last years Garmin bikes its in top nick, go check it out on the my road bikes section, they do get looked after
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I know that British Cycling sold off their team bikes from the Velodrome a few years back, dunno if they do it every year - but to be honest - didnt look like great value to me. And theres no way you'll ever get a 'cheap' Cervelo !
  • Not bikes but I've just got a jersey off ebay from a young chap in a pro cycling team and theres quite a bit of team gb stuff too. not bad for 3 quid
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Omega Pharma-Lotto do, if you're in Belgium next week:

http://www.omegapharma-lotto.be/site201 ... agging=110
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    blim wrote:
    Omega Pharma-Lotto do, if you're in Belgium next week:

http://www.omegapharma-lotto.be/site201 ... agging=110

Very cool. I'd love to buy Gilbert's bike. Not to ride, just to own. :oops:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    You can get the Bianchi which Pantani rode in the '98 Tour (the year he won) if you bid high enough at the auctioning off of the bike, on 13 January 2011 (Pantani's birthday). The money it goes for is being given to charity.
    5135162051_55045e0c44.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    knedlicky wrote:
    You can get the Bianchi which Pantani rode in the '98 Tour (the year he won) if you bid high enough at the auctioning off of the bike, on 13 January 2011 (Pantani's birthday). The money it goes for is being given to charity.
    5135162051_55045e0c44.jpg

That will go for a lot.

That would be the only retro bike I would actually want.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I've seen several Pantani bikes that are apparently his but closer scrutiny reveals they are replicas. Is it the actual bike?
  • I'd hope so as they're hoping for e250,000 for it according to italian cycling journal
  • and same journal now says the pantani family are saying it is not his ex-tdf bike, i thought it odd he's use the same bike for the tour and MSR....caveat emptor
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Garmin's ex-team bikes now on sale: http://eu.shopslipstreamsports.com/

At € 4,074.99 I'd probably skip Farrar's bike. I suspect he's put a lot of stress on the frame.