"Wheel Heroes" Cotswold Sportives 22nd May 2011

pinchazomike
pinchazomike Posts: 49
A cycling event that actually uses cycling to benefit children with cancer. 100 mile and 100k routes organised for my charity "Cyclists Fighting Cancer" we give new bikes and adapted trikes to children affected by cancer to aid in their well being and rehabilitation during and after cancer treatments. For full details visit http://www.cyclistsfc.org.uk. Comments and feedback welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I cannot think of a better reason to go out and ride, and the lanes around Chipping Campden / Stow make for some excellent routes. There are some decent climbs out there as well, so I will be interested to see the route details when they are published.

Keep us up to date when further details are realeased, and good luck with your planning.
  • Thanks for the words of support.

As you say it is fantastic cycling country with limitless virtually traffic lanes, I have based the routes on my own favourite rides. Essentially both routes head off initially on level terrain through the Vale of Evesham and then get a bit lumpy through the Cotswolds, then an undulating last third into a fast flat last 10 miles.

The routes are available via links on the web page (below) and entry can be made on line via the link at active.com.

http://www.wheelheroes.org.uk

Best wishes
    Mike
  • ajb72
    Thanks for the link - don't know how I missed that.

Seems to offer at least as much support as the other sportives in the area, whislt at the same time being charity based and cheaper than most.

Good luck, I'm sure it will be a huge success.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I must admit I was completely baffled by the website as well. I couldn't work out any details of the ride or entry (ended up bookmarking it and writing a note on my calendar for later in the year).

I'll have a look at that link. I'm quite partial to lumpy rides in the Cotswolds and this one looks to be in a great cause...
  • Hi

Thanks for the comments.

For clarity http://www.cyclistsfc.org.uk is the charity site and explains what we do. Details of the ride are under the events tab on the menu bar.

http://www.wheelheroes.org.uk is the event page where you can see full details routes, enter etc.

Thanks again

Mike
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Entered!
  • I'd be well up for this...........love riding around the Cotswolds.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Looks good and certainly a lovely area
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Good training for the Dragon ride too, nicely timed with a couple of weeks for recovery between them :)

Just signed up, bit surprised by the booking fee £2.30 which seems a tad steep. I wouldn't mind if a few quid was added on for the charity but a couple of quid for payment processing via self serve on the web? Ho hum.
  • Hi

Thanks for your entry and for the comment on the booking fee, in effect that amount would have to be paid for in full by Cyclists Fighting Cancer for the use of Active network system, so in effect the fee is going to the charity, hope that makes sense?!

Cheers

Mike
  • Stanley222 wrote:
    Bloody hell - I mentioned it at work and there is 15 of us doing it now!!! :wink:

Great news, there is a facility to enter as team on the entry system if that's of any help?

Best wishes

Mike
  • Anybody looking for a well organised sportive next summer should take a look at the Wheel Heroes 100s sportive. Not only are you cycling in some of the countrys most beautiful scenery with amazing testing climbs, you will also be raising money for a worthy cause. With both 100 miles or 100 km distances to choose from you really are in for a great time. So get your entry in now. There may be room for 1000 riders but we all now how quickly these rides sell out. I've ridden quite a few sportives for the CFC charity and they are always really well organised and friendly affairs. Also if you raise a certain amount of money you get a completely free CFC jersey which looks great, almost like a Rabobank team jersey but with more style !
    Getting my entry in now Griz

Marcus Mingins (Cult Racing)
  • Just confirmed http://www.performancecycles.co.uk of Cirencester for mechanical support and sag wagon etc. Thanks Andy!
  • Entries are going really well and beyond expectations should be able to make the target of 1000 riders all being well. The organistion is also going well with all the feed stations manned, courses risk assessed, nutrition partner on board http://www.mybikefood.com and insurance from British Cycling for each individual rider.

entry and details via http://www.wheelheroes.org.uk
  • ajb72
    what sort of numbers are you up to on registration? I ask as a few of us have agreed in principle to ride this event together.
  • Over 220 with online and off line entries so far, really taking off now with 10 a day for the last week, long may it continue! I look forward to seeing you all on the day.

Mike
  • cheaperholidays
    cheaperholidays Posts: 151
    edited January 2011
    Hi is this ride anything like the Autum Epic, which had so it felt, far more ups than downs some of which were brutal..
    We are an online travel agency.

Specialized Sirrus (converting to road bars) - Honda Fireblade.
  • The route is aimed at riders looking for a fast but challenging 100, perfect preparation for anyone doing the Dragon Ride, La Marmotte, the Etapes or any of the more severe rides later in the season. So really we haven't gone looking for all the hard climbs at all but I think the route will offer a good opportunity to post a good time for those interested. We are aiming the 100k at novice riders so I didn't want to put them off cycling for life!!!

Check out the profiles for your self at http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails.aspx?eventid=2923

Mike Grisenthwaite
    Cyclists Fighting Cancer
    http://www.wheelheroes.org.uk
  • If you want to pay less for an excellent Cotswolds event, you want go far wrong by waiting for the Beacon RCC's Cotswolds audaxes on 19th June. They only cost £8 and have all the spirit of a a sportive. I rode it last year and it was great. It starts from Birmingham though, before heading off to the Cotswolds. I think there are usually three distances, 100, 150 and 200km.

I rode the 200km which started off from South Brum before heading to Broadway, Burford, Kingham and then back through Warwickshire.
  • dead sheep wrote:
    If you want to pay less for an excellent Cotswolds event, you want go far wrong by waiting for the Beacon RCC's Cotswolds audaxes on 19th June. They only cost £8 and have all the spirit of a a sportive. I rode it last year and it was great. It starts from Birmingham though, before heading off to the Cotswolds. I think there are usually three distances, 100, 150 and 200km.

I rode the 200km which started off from South Brum before heading to Broadway, Burford, Kingham and then back through Warwickshire.

Thanks for that dead sheep, perhaps you can tell me how many children will benefit from that event please?

This is fully sportive event with everything thing that goes with that, sadly £8 doesn't cut the cheese!

Mike
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    dead sheep wrote:
    If you want to pay less for an excellent Cotswolds event, you want go far wrong by waiting for the Beacon RCC's Cotswolds audaxes on 19th June. They only cost £8 and have all the spirit of a a sportive. I rode it last year and it was great. It starts from Birmingham though, before heading off to the Cotswolds. I think there are usually three distances, 100, 150 and 200km.

Thanks for that dead sheep, perhaps you can tell me how many children will benefit from that event please?

This is fully sportive event with everything thing that goes with that, sadly £8 doesn't cut the cheese!

Mike

Yeah, that Audax won't have as many dentists, that's fo' sho'.
  • No it will be an event with 1000 people of all backgrounds having a great day out, fully supported to acheive their own personal goals and at the same time helping to buy specially adapted trikes and bikes for children with cancer to help them rehabilatate physically, regain some self esteem after years of invasive treatment.

Nuff said!
  • Would be nice for kids and partners left behind to have a ten or twenty mile ride for say £10, I know my partner would enjoy a shorter ride while i am out riding all day
  • mac111051 wrote:
    Would be nice for kids and partners left behind to have a ten or twenty mile ride for say £10, I know my partner would enjoy a shorter ride while i am out riding all day

Thanks for pointing that out, the racecourse is flanked by the "Greenway" which is the old railway perfect for cycling. A 10 mile return trip with two cafes along the way or you can loop around through the quiet lanes around it. All for frree

Methinks that needs flagging up!

Mike

PS The parks by the river are only a ten minute walk away great for picnic etc.
  • dead sheep wrote:

Oh goodie. I had been wondering if this event was running again in 2011 when I noticed that it was absent from the AUK listings - though I have just noticed that the Beacon have it posted on their website. Last year I rode the 200km Cotswolds Expedition but will probably ride the shorter 150km Cotswolds Journey this year for a change.

I am also riding their Snowdrop Express later in February - I shall ask The Doc if he knows any details.