Titanium related suprise raises pedal related question

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2010 in MTB general
i ordered some second hand wellgo mg1 pedals, recieved them today and noticed they were pretty light, put them on the scales and they come in at about 300g, nice i thought considering the v8s they replace were about 550g

so, 250ish grams for 23 quid seems a bit of a bargain!!

nyhoo, i noticed the axles are a different colour to those on my other mg1 pedals, looking around it looks like i have managed to buy a set of pedals with the Ti axle: bonus.

i remember reading that the titanium axles are a bit weaker than the steel ones. as a bit of a monster should i be concerned about this?

Comments

• Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    from DRMs website
    Loose another 80g from your V12’s or Mag V12’s by fitting these Titanium Nitride coated Solid Titanium axles. "Maximum rider weight is not too exceed 185lbs or 85kgs
    http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=produc ... d=PEDAXLTi

you could always sell them on (just the axles) you could probaby sell them for more than you paid for the pedals = free pedals :D

i dont know much about Ti, is it prone to snapping? or would it bend?

if its brittle, i wouldn't chance it personally, it could end in disaster. if its just going to bend, then give it a go, enjoy the lightness while it lasts. you never know though, they might never bend/ break.

either way, it was a good buy!
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I reckon you'll be fine with them TBH - couple of the ahem , bigger units that I ride with have the Ti axle versions with no problem so I reckon all is cool.

How near is the build now??
  • psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    i'll monster your concern in a minute!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    i ordered some second hand wellgo mg1 pedals, recieved them today and noticed they were pretty light, put them on the scales and they come in at about 300g, nice i thought considering the v8s they replace were about 550g

so, 250ish grams for 23 quid seems a bit of a bargain!!

nyhoo, i noticed the axles are a different colour to those on my other mg1 pedals, looking around it looks like i have managed to buy a set of pedals with the Ti axle: bonus.

i remember reading that the titanium axles are a bit weaker than the steel ones. as a bit of a monster should i be concerned about this?

Go for it, you'll be fine.
    And make sure you post the bloody pictures here if I'm wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    buy a service kit and sell the Ti axles.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    so is it true that ti axles are prone to a bit of the old snapping?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Steel is simply stronger than titanium for this application.

I'll swap you.
  • Anonymous
    andyrm wrote:

nearly there, its physically built and sorted but i need to think about changing the wheels.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    andyrm wrote:

nearly there, its physically built and sorted but i need to think about changing the wheels.

I wouldn't swear to it but I think a certain someone has a couple of sets knocking about - might be worth tapping him up when he gets back for some serious bargainism........ :D
  • Anonymous
    :lol::lol:
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    I managed to bend a steel one at 14 1/2 stone so I wouldnt go with titanium - I think I have said this before. Strength wise they should be fine but stiffness wise - nope. Hence the 85kg limit.

My MG-1s were 160g each when I measured them so not exactly heavy in standard form.

Fog the axles.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I weigh as much as a bag of sugar and I have a pair of steel axled MG1s in the garage, I'm prepared to make the sacrifice of swapping ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I used a set of Welgo M3's with Ti axles for a number of years, when I was nearly 15 stone and I'm a big gear pusher. No issues at all, they're currently seeing service on the TT bike. It is possible to bend Ti though, as I found out when stripping the free-hub on a set of Hope XC hubs to find I'd completely deformed it. :shock:
  • if you want to swap axles let me know, i m only 70kg
    Show me your green bits i might buy them !