Cateye Single Shot Plus- have they got any better?

MrChuck
MrChuck Posts: 1,663
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
A couple of winters ago I splashed out on a Single Shot plus light, and while the light itself was great I ended up sending it back with a broken bracket- like pretty much everybody else who had one I think!

Anyway, I'm looking at lights again and wondering if anybody knows if Cateye have re-designed the bracket or addressed the problem? If so I'd maybe get another, if not I'll rule it out.

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Old Technology, still rubbish. Go for Hope/Exposure etc etc, not cateye - cateye sell overpriced front lights.
  • MrChuck
    fossyant wrote:
    Old Technology, still rubbish. Go for Hope/Exposure etc etc, not cateye - cateye sell overpriced front lights.

There are no direct Hope or Exposure competitors at the same sort of price as far as I can see.
  • fossyant
    Hope 1 can be got for £70 ish
  • MrChuck
    It doesn't have any side visibility, and the batteries can't be charged in the unit AFAIK...?
  • fossyant
    It's visible enough - I use two, and a blinky up front. As for charging - I have stacks of AA rechargeables and a 7dayshop smart charger at home and work (only cost £10) and always have one set of spare AA's on me.

The cateye is a fraction of the power of the Hope. You could always go for a magicshine for £50.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I wouldn't trust my cateye on its own on the unlit country roads I cycle on. It's my secondary light to the Hope Vision 2.

I use it pointing directly at the road in front of me and the Hope pointing down the road.

Oh. I've had the cateye (single shot plus btw) for 2 years and the bracket is fine....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • My first one lasted well over a year of living on the bike full time, until I read a thread about brackets failing, then I looked at mine and found it had cracked. Free replacement (through Chainreaction) is still going strong.
    The bracket has been modified, the rails have been made a bit thicker.