Evans bike shop replaces BMW dealership!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
On my way to Morrisons in Wimbledon (broadway) I saw one of the nicest and most ironic things. An Evans cycle store, replacing the BMW dealership that had been in Wimbledon for a fair few years. It's next to the JD Wetherspoons.

To me its ironic as the BMW garage closed down at the height of the recession as part of a scale back on dealerships on BMW's part. Its absence and the lengthy period of not having the space filled was, for me, an indication of the economic slow down.

What a lovely surprise that a well-reknowed car manufacturers showroom is replaced by a bike showroom!

And what a show room. Floor to celling glass, all open plan and huge. It looks more like a designer shop than a bike store. Even the mechanics - and there are a number of work benches - are completely open. Its a little like those new-fandangled restaurants that let you see the chefs in the kitchen.

Proper stylish. Staff seem friendly too!
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    all hail the inexorable rise of the mamil ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I'm not really sure why you're so pleased that it's a car dealer, rather than say an estate agent, that has been closed down?

I'm also not sure why it's ironic? It's not like cars and bikes are mutally exclusive.

Still, I'm sure it was "nice" for those employees to have lost their jobs and I'm sure they join you in your evident delight.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    W1 lighten up.

It's conceivable that some of those BMW staff might have retrained and now work for Evans at their new shop.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    W1 wrote:
    I'm not really sure why you're so pleased that it's a car dealer, rather than say an estate agent, that has been closed down?

I'm also not sure why it's ironic? It's not like cars and bikes are mutally exclusive.

Still, I'm sure it was "nice" for those employees to have lost their jobs and I'm sure they join you in your evident delight.

lol, what?

Ironic indeed! MAMIL's do appear to have a fair bit of spending power. I saw one in Bristol over the weekend, head to toe in Castelli riding a Trek Madone cautiously on the pavement...
  • DonDaddyD
    edited October 2010
    Edit:
    W1 wrote:
    What W1 said

Really...

When you were born and the doctor slapped your bum did you open your eyes and think to yourself "for f*cksake I'm going to start dying now!" and immediately became resentful that he did it?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    W1 wrote:

woah, confrontational much?

why is an estate agent more fireable than a bmw dealer? and it's faily obviously ironic to see a high end car manufacturer struggling only to be superceded by a 'more budget' transport operation as they're generally viewed... lighten up a bit eh?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As the vast majority of BMW dealerships are franchised, I doubt BMW UK Ltd, let alone BMW AG had much to do with it closing.......

As For Evans being able to afford an ex-BMW showroom, proves they are overpriced I guess if they are making that much out of us, sorry 'you' as I don't think I've ever bought anything there!

Personally I wouldn't want the average car salesman trying to sell me a bike!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • W1
    I just don't understand the mentality that suggests that to like bikes and cycling you have to hate cars. It's total ball-cocks.

I suppose if it were a Ferrari dealer you'd all be doing high fives.

Why not just be pleased that Evans have opened a new shop for you, and less gleefull as to what was there before? Maybe BMW couldn't agree terms with the landlord? Maybe they've opened a massive new operation elsewhere?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Y'see, I didn't get glee from DDD's post. I got:
    1) BMW dealership closed.
    2) Store remained empty for some time
    3) Bright, shiny bike shop opened
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    The OP should change the thread title to include 'BMW'.

That'll get the car haters all worked up. It may even keep us going til Friday.

Oh wait!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • W1
    JonGinge wrote:
    Y'see, I didn't get glee from DDD's post. I got:
    1) BMW dealership closed.
    2) Store remained empty for some time
    3) Bright, shiny bike shop opened

Well I got:

"I saw one of the nicest and most ironic things"
  • W1
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Edit:
    W1 wrote:
    What W1 said

Really...

When you were born and the doctor slapped your bum did you open your eyes and think to yourself "for f*cksake I'm going to start dying now!" and immediately became resentful that he did it?

What?
  • Alphabet
    to be fair, Evans are about as evil as BMW anyway.

I don't hate car dealerships as a whole, but i do hate BMW car dealerships. Never had anything more than grief and an empty wallet post sales.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Just a shame it's an Evans (unless it's one of the rare 'decent' Evans)...
  • DonDaddyD
    edited October 2010
    Jesus (spelt properly!)

There must be something in the air.

Did the Druids remember to sacrifice the goat?
    As For Evans being able to afford an ex-BMW showroom, proves they are overpriced I guess if they are making that much out of us, sorry 'you' as I don't think I've ever bought anything there!

Buying from Evans is now EVIL... when did that happen.

As for being able to afford an ex-showroom. The place was empty for a year or two (soon after I moved to Wimbledon actually) so we don't know how much they were asking or willing to knock off the price to get the place filled.

There is also the little matter of a bike sale boom, so I think that has more to do with them being able to expand as an organisation than ripping customers off...
    W wrote:
    I just don't understand the mentality that suggests that to like bikes and cycling you have to hate cars. It's total ball-cocks.

Why not just be pleased that Evans have opened a new shop for you, and less gleefull as to what was there before? Maybe BMW couldn't agree terms with the landlord? Maybe they've opened a massive new operation elsewhere?

I'm beginning to love your posts:

Ok,

1). No one suggested or portrayed that to like bikes and cycling they must hate cars. Finding it ironic that a car dealership is now a bike shop, thereby demonstrating the changing social conciousness, does not suggest that that person (me) hates cars and likes bike. FACT.

2). If it were a Ferrari dealer no I wouldn't do hgh-fives.

3). Speaking for myself, I am happy that Evans has opened. Hence the thread. I am gleefull because before Evans opened there was nothing but an empty space where a BMW dealership used to be. I wouldn't have minded if another car dealership opened but I am more excited that it is a bike shop. There is no shame in that.

As for the BMW garage, split the stock with other dealerships in the area.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Evans seem to be as liked as Halfords on here but on the few occasions I`ve used them they have price matched to anything I could find online. How does that make them expensive?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    W1 wrote:

I find that BMW drivers seem to be aggressive on the road in a way that is dangerous to cyclists. I've been run off the road by a Beamer before

So although bicycles and cars are not mutually exclusive, the BMW and the bicycle are usually not a good combination.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Also I'd like to see people cycle a bit more and drive a bit less if possible and this is an indicator of that. Bravo!
  • W1
    vorsprung wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I find that BMW drivers seem to be aggressive on the road in a way that is dangerous to cyclists. I've been run off the road by a Beamer before

So although bicycles and cars are not mutually exclusive, the BMW and the bicycle are usually not a good combination.

I have both in my garage.

I've also been run off the road by a Beemer. And a taxi. And a coach. And a few motorbikes. I'm not sure it's a decisive factor in reality!
  • W1
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    W wrote:

I'm beginning to love your posts:

Ok,

1). No one suggested or portrayed that to like bikes and cycling they must hate cars. Finding it ironic that a car dealership is now a bike shop, thereby demonstrating the changing social conciousness, does not suggest that that person (me) hates cars and likes bike. FACT.

2). If it were a Ferrari dealer no I wouldn't do hgh-fives.

3). Speaking for myself, I am happy that Evans has opened. Hence the thread. I am gleefull because before Evans opened there was nothing but an empty space where a BMW dealership used to be. I wouldn't have minded if another car dealership opened but I am more excited that it is a bike shop. There is no shame in that.

As for the BMW garage, split the stock with other dealerships in the area.

Well in that case I completely misread your post, and for that I apologise.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    W1 wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    BMW and the bicycle are usually not a good combination.

I've also been run off the road by a Beemer. !

Has Mrs W1 an alibi?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Alphabet
    W1 wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Has Mrs W1 an alibi?

haha
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    W1 wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Has Mrs W1 an alibi?

Well that made me lol. Thank you.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    The cycling market is booming, against all economic trends - possibly people who still have money are diverting from buying posh cars (which everyone notices and may attract scorn) to posh bikes (which attract little notice, and are no more scorned than any other bikes, with the possible exception of Bromptons and Boris Bikes) (oh, and bikes are cheaper than BMWs)

Plus modern Beemers are a bit...ugly but dull looking ( :? )

Anyway, it's nice to see what is presumably a really big bike shop open up - this will make a nice change, most bike shops are in standard retail units which are inevitably compromised as for a retail item a bike is quite big.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dugliss wrote:
    Evans seem to be as liked as Halfords on here but on the few occasions I`ve used them they have price matched to anything I could find online. How does that make them expensive?

Don't much care for Halfords, they are expensive and struck me as a shop that sells some bike stuff rather than a bike shop. I got my Boardman from there though so they certainly sell some good stuff, just expensive for the accessories.

Evans pricematch. Love them for this. I've taken in a printout from Wiggle or lesser known sites and they've always matched with no questions asked.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • W1
    W1 wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Has Mrs W1 an alibi?

Good point.

Although unless she's morphed my humble 10 year old BM into a new 7 series I think she's off the hook.....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Evans Cycles: a lot more of us shop there than will admit to it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Evans Cycles: a lot more of us shop there than will admit to it.

Quite. They are the Richard Nixon of the cycling retailers.

Although I want to make it clear that I have not, nor will I ever, shop at Evans. Ever. So it must be you lot keeping them afloat.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Evans is fine if you want to buy a standard, off-the-shelf item and can avoid any interaction with the mostly hopeless (IMHO) staff.

They have, invariably and without exception, failed to offer any useful information or service on the occasions when I've asked. On these occasions, they have happily recommended items that happen to be in stock rather than provide any insight as to what is best and most appropriate for need. When asked why a particular item has been recommended, a mysterious blank expression appears on the face of the retail-monkey stood infront of me...

They must be doing something right if they're continuing to grow, but I'll avoid if there's another option.
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    Like the Canary Wharf Evans, IIRC when office relocated here 10yrs ago the site was a high end car dealership. Which then became a Smart Car dealership. And now an Evans.

And since its practically next door to the office, of course I've shopped there.
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween