City - Canary Wharf.

BR 1979
BR 1979 Posts: 296
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Need to pop from City to Barclays Capital at lunch.

Commercial Road or The Hwy/Limehouse Link or something else?

Cycled around London loads, but never been east of the City!

Not fussed on fastest, but don't want to end up on some hideously scary stretch of road.

Going at 1pm, thanks for any thoughts.

Cheers.

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    DLR not an option? :wink:

Sorry, I can't help with a route but I 'm not sure Limehouse Link is a good option unless you're in a car.
  • The ''cycle superhighway'' (CS3, I think it is) runs close by Canary Wharf. I know you can pick it up just north of Tower Bridge but I don't know where it starts.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Quickest legal route is Highway, and then cross at the pedestrian crossing just before the tunnel and join Narrow Street. No scarier than many other London roads...

I did the Limehouse Tunnel route once; it's quite a lot quicker (and no scarier than the rest of the route) but despite the apparent lack of signage in that direction I'm quite sure bikes are not allowed.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Ooh - too late to be of help maybe but CS3 starts @ Tower Hill. The Highway and into Narrow Street is probably best but Commercial Road and down @ West India Dock Road. Both come into Westferry Road....
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Also too late but CS3 down Cable street from Tower Hill would have been the way to go.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Thanks everyone.

Took the CS3. Nice little route, though found it tricky to actually get from the CS to the bank buildings on North Colonade etc. Ended up carrying my bike over a DLR footbridge (Poplar?).

Anyway, the CSs seem quite handy if the CS3's anything to go by, but quite slow and wiggly. Not sure what I'd expected, but was expecting to have priority over motor traffic etc, which definitely isn't the case - A lot of stopping at junctions, where sometimes the traffic light phases seem to make you wait longer than the cars in the road right next to you.

Anyway, makes for a refreshingly quiet journey on what could be a very busy route on normal roads.

Cheers again.
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    I too have been through Limehouse Links a couple of times, and I concur; if you're happy on the rest of that road, it's fine. OTOH I am more inclined to assume that bikes are allowed if the signs don't say otherwise. I felt it wise to really put the hammer down and be as fast as I could through there, which was also fun.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    SamWise72 wrote:
    I too have been through Limehouse Links a couple of times, and I concur; if you're happy on the rest of that road, it's fine. OTOH I am more inclined to assume that bikes are allowed if the signs don't say otherwise. I felt it wise to really put the hammer down and be as fast as I could through there, which was also fun.
    I'm sceptical, because bikes are very clearly forbidden in the opposite direction; I suspect that they are (supposed to be) forbidden east-bound, but the signage is either poor or missing.

If you were caught, I'm sure you could point out the lack of signage and get away with a telling off...
    Pannier, 120rpm.