Inner tubes/tyres - life span

themoog
themoog Posts: 22
edited October 2010 in The workshop
Over the last couple of years I've amassed a fair collection of inner tubes with a hole in (I usually just replace the whole tube when I puncture then put the used tube to one side to repair on a rainy day - as yet that rainy day hasn't happened).

Do inner tubes have a lifespan over which they naturally deteriorate? If so, am I better off just chucking the old ones now or would they still be ok to repair and re-use? Is a repaired tyre as good as new anyway?

I also have the same question for tyres - I have a few that are still in good nick (just been used for a few races) and been stored for a year or so. Would they still be ok to use?

thanks for your help.

Comments

• So long as they've been stored out of the light, I don't see that you should need to bin them. The only inner tube that I recall binning was due to a tear at the valve; I'm still (re-)using one or two that are now probably twice their initial weight!

_
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    still using 2 inner tubes that were part of the original bike from 15 years ago, admittedly they've been moved to the bad weather / offroad wheels / tyres but still in use
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cheap tubes and tyres will degrade, especially if stored in sunlight, decent quality ones will be fine, especially if stored in the dark.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • themoog
    themoog Posts: 22
    thanks for the great responses everyone. Looks like I have some work to do in repairing all the old tubes