Bell pack of brake/gear cables/sleeves/caps etc. £4!!

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited October 2010 in The workshop
Just seen this in Asda.

seriously - replace all 4 cables/sleeves the lot for £4.

Now, my MTB is never used seriously, just a bit of pootling on tracks towpaths etc, and mostly with a bike seat for my little'un.

How much difference can there be in quality, and what difference am I likely to see - given my fairly moderate use of the bike.

Likewise, my chain has reached its limit. didn't really want to replace chain and cassette before winter. asda also selling a bell chain 5-8spd for £4! I've bought it, but not pu it on yet....presumably it's probably not the lightest, but it won't disintegrate on me, will it???

Am I being too pikey? (just to reiterate, its not a performance bike, used to it's limits!!)

Comments

• lae
    lae Posts: 555
    I'd go for it. If you can lock up the wheels, which is very easy to do with V-Brakes, then your brake cables are doing their job. Modulation is important for descending Ventoux with caliper brakes, not so much for pootling along towpaths!

I'd say make sure you file the ends of the cables well and use the end caps, and a bit of heavy oil on the cables to help them slide a bit easier, and it'll be fine.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wilkinsons sell brake cables (inner and outer) for £1.04, and gear (inner only) cables for 97p.

If that £4 includes gear outers it has to be a bargain by any standard, they also sell Bell brand folding tyres for £10, but no-one has any experience.

See all these in Wallmart while on hols this summer, glad they are coming to the UK, but I doubt they get much take on the 'monster 4r5e' saddle they sell, must be 8" wide!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.