Interesting comments from Cav and Millar....

jamlala
jamlala Posts: 284
edited October 2010 in Pro race
Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
__@    
_`\<,_   
---- (*)/ (*)

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,539
    Fixed the link for you

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,16299_6446259,00.html#ss-bookmark

Almost stopped reading after the first line which said that Millar and Cav were the only British A list riders at the games. Has he not heard of Pooley, Armistead and Cooke then or does women's racing not count? However, Cav's comments in particular are refreshing and certainly more mature than many people expect from him.
  • A good piece from Sky Sports, which make a change
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pross wrote:
    or does women's racing not count?

Sadly, No.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    The racing went OK in the end didn't it - despite the views of many before the event I think those that missed it made a mistake and Cav and Millar emerge with reputations enhanced.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Sadly, No.

To be fair to the reporter he said A-listers not a-list riders. I think he was referring to all sports rather than just cycling. And in that context cav and millar are A-list in comparison.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,539
    EPC06 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Sadly, No.

To be fair to the reporter he said A-listers not a-list riders. I think he was referring to all sports rather than just cycling. And in that context cav and millar are A-list in comparison.

I thought about that but then decided it was even less true if you take all sports into account as there was Addlington in swimming and Daly in the diving to name two.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    Pross wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Sadly, No.

I thought about that but then decided it was even less true if you take all sports into account as there was Addlington in swimming and Daly in the diving to name two.

True

Back to the report though, the anecdote of Cav acting as mechanic, and his comments about his team mates certainly endear you to him
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I suppose the journo could say he was just talking about the mens road race or the mens cycling events. It weakens his argument a bit if he included the women as there the A listers did travel. And you never know - maybe someone chopped a line mentioning the women in the editing process.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mens cycling is a much bigger sport than womens cycling and while he commonwealths will have made no difference to miller and cavendish's careers the commonwealth games have the potential to make a difference to the women's and so it would have been less of a deal for them to ride it.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Journalist in exaggerating story scandal :shock:
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    an odd story... Pls stop thinking of an angle Richard and just write..some of us knew the person holding the pen :roll: