Cycling Buddies

deptfordmarmoset
deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
edited May 2017 in Commuting general
Would you be prepared to put your name down as someone happy to act as a guide to a new or returning commuter? A bit of route advice, encouragement, road tips....that sort of help and guidance.

Or are you thinking about taking the plunge but are still a little hesitant, unsure of the route or traffic conditions?

If your answer is yes, I've put up a loose and evolving online spreadsheet where you can put your name down if you're happy to help or where you can look to see whether anyone is already riding a similar route who might be able to help you.

A little background introduction with links to the spreadsheet

Or go straight to the names and routes

I can't seem to get the first link to work in IE though. It works fine in other browsers, so if you can't see it without having to go through the rigmarole of registering or signing in, the links and background are also here

CB1.png

Comments

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Great work DM and Cyclopsbiker in pushing this, let's hope it get's some takers.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • :?:

seems to interesting
  • signed up
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Topic isnt so fresh but thinking about signing up just to put another northerner on the map :)
  • sneill
    sneill Posts: 22
    New here, just bought a road bike as I've wanted one for a while and figured if I use it for commuting it pays for itself and some! The spreadsheet doesn't seem to be loading properly for me, only shows 3 people signed up?

Anyway, is there anyone that cycles from Sutton to Bond Street or nearby? I start work at 9am, so 7.30 start and I'll vary on the return journey time, sometimes 5.30 sometimes 8 or 9.
  • sneill wrote:
    New here, just bought a road bike as I've wanted one for a while and figured if I use it for commuting it pays for itself and some! The spreadsheet doesn't seem to be loading properly for me, only shows 3 people signed up?

Anyway, is there anyone that cycles from Sutton to Bond Street or nearby? I start work at 9am, so 7.30 start and I'll vary on the return journey time, sometimes 5.30 sometimes 8 or 9.

Sneill, someone had applied a filter so that it only showed Leeds riders. I've reset it.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Just added myself as a buddy,

NW london (Barnet) into the city - westminster - via a load of popular destinations

PM me if you need a buddy
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • sneill
    sneill wrote:

Sneill, someone had applied a filter so that it only showed Leeds riders. I've reset it.

Thanks, nobody on my route though. I would sign up but I'm a complete novice commuter so best to get some experience before offering myself as a buddy. I'm never too sure about just starting conversation with other cyclists at traffic lights etc. I'm used to the train, where talking to strangers is strictly taboo! Is it similar for the cycling commute?
  • sneill wrote:
    sneill wrote:

Thanks, nobody on my route though. I would sign up but I'm a complete novice commuter so best to get some experience before offering myself as a buddy. I'm never too sure about just starting conversation with other cyclists at traffic lights etc. I'm used to the train, where talking to strangers is strictly taboo! Is it similar for the cycling commute?

Where about's are you commuting from - too?
  • sneill
    Sutton to Central London (wigmore street).
  • ok, sadly im Uppp north!
  • dezbruce
    dezbruce Posts: 15
    Seems to be forgotten about but i've added to this. :)
  • Added on to list.

Brian
    It\'s not what we own, but what we value that makes us rich.
  • Ciar
    Ciar Posts: 28
    Hi All,

Just got myself back in the saddle first time since my early 20's, mainly due to quitting smoking 10 months ago, been on the bike with a friend regular saturday's out and using the turbo trainer, but now looking to commute to work, im based in South Woodford and work in Canary Wharf, im a novice in regards to commuting but have been out on the road a few times, been scouting various forums and just came across this one, be great if there is someone else who commutes to the same area, or any pointers on routes would be great.

had a check on the list, what a great idea, first of its kind i have found over the various websites i have signed up to,hopefully someone will be able to give me pointers or a buddy to commute with.

Cheers
    Ciar
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Not sure how to add to the spreadsheet but this seems a decent idea.

Ciar I notice you are close(ish) to me, I commute daily from Barking to St Pauls, let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Hi Goonz, simply add your details to the nearest empty row and I'll be along in a while to re-sort it alphabetically. If I was cleverer I would have figured out how to make a form for entering information on google spreadsheets but I'm not so I didn't.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I did try that but it wasn't typing anything, perhaps my work browser is not supported by BR? Could be the problem?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Ciar
    Ciar Posts: 28
    goonz wrote:
    Not sure how to add to the spreadsheet but this seems a decent idea.

Ciar I notice you are close(ish) to me, I commute daily from Barking to St Pauls, let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.

cheers mate, I will drop you a PM.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Thread resurrection! Added myself...
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Living near Lancaster, one of the 5 original cycling demonstration towns, used to operate a bike buddies scheme. Basically you sign up through the website. Someone then contacts you, gives you a recommended route for commuting and then rides it with you. I signed up but saw their route via canal so just got on commuting via the main road which was direct. Saved myself a few miles of windy canal and lots of time on the journey.
    I reckon this version is better if you find someone near you. It consists of keen cyclists who know the best commuting routes in their area I reckon. I thought I knew my best commute route until a work colleague told me of a short cut I'd not spotted. A simple pedestrian bridge you go over with bike on shoulder up the steps saves half mile or so.
  • Does anyone know if this list is still working or if its the most up-to-date?
  • I can't guarantee that the list is up to date but if you can see anybody with a similar route it's worth sending them a PM or an email.
  • Cool, Thanks, sadly now one seems to be on my route....
  • Newbie here! Biking is my way of life. Not only that it can physically benefited you, it can also help you financially! Lol!
  • Ed_P
    Ed_P Posts: 12
    Newbie here! Biking is my way of life. Not only that it can physically benefited you, it can also help you financially! Lol!

That certainly is true! Being a poor student cycling has helped me save as much money as possible for the important things in life! :mrgreen: Oh, and it keeps me trim as well considering the problems that I have getting to the gym!
  • This seems kind of neat. A big ol' database of cyclers in various parts of the country looking to meet up with other biking enthusiasts and share a common interest?

Heck yea. Sign me up!
  • geryben
    geryben Posts: 15
    I usually ride where nobody skates
    Near my private house
    I go to the track and travel all evening there)