hydraulic brakes verses mechanical and v

2»

Comments

• mainly because it doesnt agree with paint, skin and eyes
    never trust a fart
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    So don't get it on paint, skin or eyes...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Well you don't want to get too much hydraulic fluid in your eyes either :) Just be cautious with it but it's not acid, even if you get it on paint it does damage it but not instantly (if the paint is any good anyway). If you get any sort of skin conditions- excema, dermatitis- you might want to wear latex or vinyl gloves though while handling it.

Some people are terrified of it, you need to treat it with care and respect but it's not that bad.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I finished the bike, with the 160mm tektro disc on the rear and the grimeca 160mm on the front, i also used a set of longer levers that i had(really shabby quality though),but they helped her pulling power.
    we went for a nice little ride yesterday and she loved it, the brakes were a success so im not going to bother with hydraulics.(never say never tho)

I now need to get some better quality three or four finger levers, theres a set on ebay but they are for cantilever brakes, will they work ok?

I had a go on the bike and found the rear brake better than the front, so im also going to match up the front with a tektro caliper and 180mm disc, that will make it a good set up, for the type of riding were doing at the moment anyway.

thanks again for all your input,
    never trust a fart
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Hope brakes use dot oil and I had no problems with those corroding the calipers - they're going strong since 2004 on a mate's bike. Same with the Hayes 9's that were going on my bike for years and are now serving on my brother's.

Hell, my motorbike's brakes use dot oil and the calipers are still the original, uncorroded 1996 ones!
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    My first bike came with tektro mechanical disc brakes not great tbh

I then fitted avids BB7's great brake powerfull and modulated was happy with them till winter got fed up with having to adjust them on rides up the peak district when the weather was bad, i would say they would be great in most conditions but anywhere gritty and you end up adjusting them mid ride.

BB7's plus decent levers and cables dont actually work out that cheap i replaced them with shimano SLX hydros and they were great fit and forget until pads need replacing.

since then bike was stolen my new bike has Avid juicy 7 and they are excellent as well.

Not all hydraulics are two pot soles are one pot you still have to adjust the back pad.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    So looks like Hayes Soles are the example of hydro brakes with a single piston, sorry i was wrong. Finding a positive review of them seems even harder.

can't see the point to be honest maybe for roadbikes?
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    had the soles on one of my bikes for a couple of rides had them off my mate brand new.

He bought a bike from his LBS to strip for the parts and didnt need the brakes.

They were not all that powerfull and did indeed feel wooden either on or off not much in between.
  • well guys,after adding up the cost of buying 2 half decent levers and another matching tektro caliper, i kept an eye for some hydraulics and this morning got a set of shimano M535 Deore off ebay, so ill be fitting them when they arrive

they use mineral oil so no dot 4 in the eyes after all. tee hee
    never trust a fart
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Two additional points if you haven't already done this. Ensure the cables and cable outers are clean and well lubricated this will make a big difference, also make sure the calipers and levers are movingly freely. Finally as most women have smaller hands try moving the lever in closer to the bar this will enable your wife to apply more pressure more comfortably.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    My Mrs has the M585s on her bike. The levers really suit as they're close to the bar (too close for me) and the size is spot on... properly rinky dink in size compared to the Tektro Aurigas on mine.

I didn't realise when I bought her bike that both Tektro Airigas and some Shimanos take the same brake pad. Which is handy.

And you can get multipacks of pads from Superstar for peanuts.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • ive seen the superstar pads on ebay, what are they like?
    never trust a fart
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Initially they seem the same, but I've only had them fitted for 1 ride :-)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Used superstar components pads and they are excellent value for money and performance is great too
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'm probably on 20th+ set of Superstar pads. You can order them direct on the website. My advice is to find out who needs the same pads as you and buy a mixed pack of 10 using the special codes if you can.

Their grips are good too
  • while were on the subject, what type of pads should i be using, i just read another thread on here about it and there talking about using different ones front and rear, different ones for different seasons, plus talk of using 3 sets over 27 miles, it all sounds a bit crazy.

we arent doing any mental downhill stuff, not yet anyway, i was kinda thinking of good all rounders without changing for the seasons,
    any suggestions?
    never trust a fart
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Superstar's kevlars are the best allrounders I've found. Any decent sintered will do as well. Not sure why you'd want to use different pads front and back really, I like my brakes to feel the same- I've got a mismatch in the hemlock just now and it can be a wee bit unsettling, just wearing out an old set.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • i agree same pad type front and rear

as for pad wear it all depends on what you are doing and the conditions you ride in.
    From the sounds of it i dont think you need to worry i ride locally woods and bridleways have also been to peak district loads of times and i have so far got 800+ miles out of the set that are on.

I have been on a ride in the peaks once and it was incredibly muddy and gritty it wore out my front pads, they were about half worn at the start of the ride though.

I have also found as i get more experienced i tend to use the brakes less.
  • im not far from the peak district, do you know what type of pads you are using
    never trust a fart
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    peaks = sintered pads (superstar or discobrakes)

especially after the volume of water that it's just put down this week. all other compounds will be destroyed.
  • as above sintered for the peaks
  • shitfabraynz
    shitfabraynz Posts: 26
    edited November 2010
    sintered pads it is then!
    i live near the peaks but not on the peaks, it is quite wet and bit hilly though,
    sintered are the ones which last longer but not quite as much stopping power, and wear your discs down quicker?
    I still havent recieved the hydraulic calipers which i got on ebay last sunday, im getting a bit restless now!
    never trust a fart
  • not that i need to worry about wearing discs out
    never trust a fart
  • shitfabraynz
    shitfabraynz Posts: 26
    edited November 2010
    another quick Q for you guys in the know,
    whats the talk about bedding them in, are you meant to take it easy for a while or get them as hot as possible?
    never trust a fart
  • your discs should last for ages

As for bedding them in i think your supposed to ride up to speed then stop quickly about ten times on each brake.