Bike in the Rain

getonyourbike
getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
How many poeple have somewhere to put their bike that is out of the rain at work? Because I've got my MTB, I spent £600 on it so I don't want it becoming a wreck. ill it be fine in the rain?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, mine stays inside. You can buy some cheaper covers at Halfords, keep that at work and then sling it over the bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Leant against my desk, but luckier than most that I'm allowed to do that I guess.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if there is a bike shop nearby try them. You could book it in for a service every day.,
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    Indoor lock up at work, so no problem. If you can't do that then as CJ mentions, some plastic covers, bit of elastic and Bob's your uncle, but I'd be more worried about it getting nicked from outside, esp if it's a MTB.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I think they know if I dont take my bike into work ill get no work done as ill be constantly checking it lol
  • howie3472
    howie3472 Posts: 110
    I am luky as i have found a seldom used store room to tuck my bike in to, but dose not stop me worring ever time some one dose go in to that room. The boss has not said any thing as he know the bike provision at work is poor.
    Trek 1.2
    FCN 5
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It doesn't rain that much ( :shock: ), and your bike will be okay. Wipe it down when you get home. I would smear some grease on bits like bolt heads / other steel bits (not brake discs obviously!).
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    This sounds a bit sarcastic, but...

1. Don't buy a £600 quid MTB if you don't want a drop of rain on it.

2. Go to the pound shop and buy a rain cover.

3. Stay at home when it rains.

4. Take it into the Gent and use the hand dryer.

5. MTFU

6. Buy a cheap hack bike like the knowledgeable commuters do.

7. Rain melts carbon bikes...so beware.

8. Rain will rust and corrode your bike to pieces......eh, after about 25 years.

9. No bike has ever lasted more then 12 months after a drizzle.

10. You think nowt of keeping a car outside, but terrified about a bike being outside in the rain?

Seriously, my hack bike has been out in the rain/snow for 5 years now. It's not the rain that's the problem its the road contaminates such as salt, diesel, chippings, nails that's the problem.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Mine some times ends up in random bits of the warehouse, but yeah, I get to bring it in. If I did have to keep it out side a plastic bag over the seat would suffice.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Secure parking in the basement :)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • It looks like the best option is the cover left at school. While I keep nagging for a proper lock up outside so the bike doesn't get wet. At my school I'm confident it won't get nicked. I'll be using a big chain through the rear wheel and the frame and another through the front and frame. Then a cable lock through the saddle rails. It should be fine.
  • Undercover lockups with security at my work! Pity the security insist on switching on lights and not turning them off :( . I've had to ride home quite a few times with a less than powerful rear light. At least my bike was safe :P .
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At my daughters old school (brand new Labour PFI build) they had lots of bike racks with no cover, she used to keep a carrier bag stuffed under the saddle to keep the saddle dry, then a squirt of teflon carring aerosol lube on cassette and chain when it got home if it had been raining hard.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    the bikes stashed in our office - there's usually three of em, but one chap is away today. oh and there's a brompton under one of the desks.

C360_2010-10-19%2009-09-37.jpg

in fact, i'm still sat here in my cycling shorts. really should go and get changed...
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    This sounds a bit sarcastic, but...

7. Rain melts carbon bikes...so beware.

+1000
  • Thanks god mines alu then. Perfectly fine.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Mate if you bought a commuter bike without a chain-case and internal gears you will need to relube your chain after heavy rain if you leave it outside, but TBH a good bike is meant to live outdoors. If it deteriorates it means it was never a good bike.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    In in a reversal of sensible practice that only a true moron would endorse, my old rusty steelie lives out doors and is now...rusty (mind you, could do with some paint) but the unrustable ally machine lives under cover except when being ridden - and at one end it's even heated :D

PS: I know, I know, get the damn thing painted

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • My commuter bike (a Scott Speedster 30 that cost c. £800) is currently outside getting a thorough soaking. This happens far too often for my liking but it doesn't seem to do it any harm; I just make sure the chainset gets a good clean and lubing once at least once a week
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Since we made some people redundant last year, we have some empty space so both the Gary & the Ghost are currently in an empty key-coded office, close by the back door. Been a busy morning, so I'm still in my shorts & t-shirt :D
  • Alphabet wrote:
    the bikes stashed in our office - there's usually three of em, but one chap is away today. oh and there's a brompton under one of the desks.

in fact, i'm still sat here in my cycling shorts. really should go and get changed...

nice carpet though... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I used a cover at work for over a year.

Now carry my bike into my office ! :D
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    Alphabet wrote:

nice carpet though... :D

beautiful isn't it? even better with the puddle of chain oil over there :roll:
  • I'm put my bike in an old building at work. It's secure but it's only a couple of butchers hooks away from looking like something out of a horror film. I would be reight scared if I wern't so hard :lol:
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Got a nice bike shelter, half full of bikes permenantly left there by people who've bought a bike on C2W, and used it a few times before leaving it. Gits. At least it gives me somewhere to keep a lock all the time. Not exactly dry, but keeps the worst off.
  • Harveytile wrote:
    Undercover lockups with security at my work! Pity the security insist on switching on lights and not turning them off :( . I've had to ride home quite a few times with a less than powerful rear light. At least my bike was safe :P .

Why the light rule?! I usually turn a few off when I arrive in the morning, good samaritan am I.

Underground secure parking here too, almost too convenient, leaves me feeling pampered and unsure how to deal with the big bad outside world :cry:
    Souped-Up Trek Hybrid ( Clipless & Skinnies - FCN 6 )

Regularly humbled by the RP3LC, and the FG temptation is getting too much.
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    I am luky

Why, have you finally got a place on a spelling course ?