Families that dope together...

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2010 in Pro race
Stay together

Rui Costa and his bro Mario positive in the Portguese ITT champs.

Now you know why Caisse didn't let Rui race since the Tour....
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    Vacansoleil should offer them a contract
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    A Bikepure rider too. Just saying you ride clean does not necessarily mean you ride clean. Shocking, I know.

Maybe young Rui thought the blue wristband was a free pass to get past the doping control wagon. Just flash your Bikepure membership and away you go, like the frickin' Stonecutters.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    afx237vi wrote:
    A Bikepure rider too. Just saying you ride clean does not necessarily mean you ride clean. Shocking, I know.

Maybe young Rui thought the blue wristband was a free pass to get past the doping control wagon. Just flash your Bikepure membership and away you go, like the frickin' Stonecutters.

Yes, I wondered how long it would be before the blue writstband was tainted.

I believe I posted on here a while ago, hoping that Myles would turn up to explain how he knew that everyone who signed up to BikePure was, indeed, pure.

The question still stands - BikePure, are you just taking their word for it that they're clean when you sign up a rider? How many more BikePure athletes do you think are doping?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    bike pure have deleted his entry

DELETED
    tdf10st06-fight.jpg
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    edited October 2010
    Phew, I thought I was coming to this thread to read some revelation or another about the Schlecks, that would be the last thing the sport needs right now.

EDIT I'm not naive enough not to suspect that it might though :?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Are they trying to fix a puncture....or studying rim wear :-)
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    "Writing on his Facebook page, Costa has said that he believes that he ingested the product concerned in a dietary supplement. He denies doping."

These guys all should be a little more careful. :roll:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Methylhexanamine is a stimulant - same thing that a couple of Nigerian track and field athletes were caught for at the Commonwealth Games

"Methylhexaneamine is also a constituent of flower oil, sold as an integral component of nutritional supplements"
  • slojo
    slojo Posts: 56
    From Jan 2011 methylexaneamine becomes a 'specified' stimulant on the WADA banned list.
    This means it is open to 'a credible, non-doping explanation' and the athlete will probably get away with just a warning.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    slojo wrote:
    From Jan 2011 methylexaneamine becomes a 'specified' stimulant on the WADA banned list.
    This means it is open to 'a credible, non-doping explanation' and the athlete will probably get away with just a warning.

:roll:
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    slojo wrote:

So why is there even a violation? Is it on the UCI list but not WADAs?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Because it's banned in 2010!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Is it just me, or does the way the authorities handled the recent scandals make you question what their motivations really were?

I mean, I know it was hardly ever noble and honest to begin with, but it seems to be getting more and more blatant and, seemingly incompetant - either at making face that they are in it for the right reasons, or actually doing the right thing.

It seems to be more and more like the political wranglings in the The Wire every week.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Methylexaneamine was sold as a legitimate medicine until the beginning of the 1970s and has known medicinal properties. To WADA’s knowledge, the substance has not been sold as a medicine since the 1970s. However, during the course of 2010, the anti-doping community noticed evidence that this substance had reappeared in a number of nutritional supplements and was therefore subject to potential inadvertent use by athletes.

While athletes are responsible for everything they use under the strict liability principle applied in the fight against doping, international experts forming WADA’s Scientific Committees took this reality into account to reclassify methylexaneamine into the “specified stimulants” category of the 2011 List.

Generally speaking, “specified substances” are substances that are more susceptible to a credible, non-doping explanation. If the athlete can prove that he or she did not intend to enhance performance by using them to the satisfaction of the results management authority, the sanction under the World Anti-Doping Code can go from a warning to a 2-year ban.

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/Science-Medi ... ited-List/
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Rui Costa just has to buy some more of the supplement and get it tested, this will clear him. The fact that he was busted back in June but can't come up with anything more than a Facebook "boo hoo, I didn't mean it" suggests he's struggling.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Is it just me, or does the way the authorities handled the recent scandals make you question what their motivations really were?

I mean, I know it was hardly ever noble and honest to begin with, but it seems to be getting more and more blatant and, seemingly incompetant - either at making face that they are in it for the right reasons, or actually doing the right thing.

It seems to be more and more like the political wranglings in the The Wire every week.

welcome to the fight

pick a side or create your own.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Does the fact that they were both caught add any credence to the 'contaminated supplement' excuse or just suggest that they both had bad advice off their supplier?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    x610-11.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Ah Ian you didn't disappoint. I see you were first with this news.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    DaveyL wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Yes, I wondered how long it would be before the blue writstband was tainted.

I believe I posted on here a while ago, hoping that Myles would turn up to explain how he knew that everyone who signed up to BikePure was, indeed, pure.

The question still stands - BikePure, are you just taking their word for it that they're clean when you sign up a rider? How many more BikePure athletes do you think are doping?

Just wondering, have you ever even sent an email to Myles asking him these valid questions? The guy is very accessible.

Just mentioning your concerns on here doesn't really amount to much.

BTW, if you go over to bike pure.org, you will see they readily admit there are flaws with the 'sign up procedure', and are looking at ways of improving it.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    DaveyL wrote:
    http://bikepure.org/2010/10/sad-day/
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • From the bikepure website:
    We have tried to contact Rui Costa today, we still await a reply.

:lol::lol::lol: