Riding footpaths at the weekend- Winn Hill

mlbaker
mlbaker Posts: 77
edited October 2010 in Routes
I get angry at the twunts who insist on riding footpath decent's in the Peak District on busy, sunny weekends.

I am not opposed to riding the occasional footpath but would never do so at peak time when it would irritate a lot of walkers. There are ample legal decent's in the Peak District.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited October 2010
    Remember that walkers only got their rights to the footpaths by being irritating themselves, and by deliberate trespass. Consider why they have exclusive rights and then try to find a logical reason for it (there isn't one).

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010/09 ... all-areas/

And remember also it's not illegal to ride footpaths (except where bylaws say so). It's just you don't have a right to it granted by law, unlike walkers. Bikers are denied this right by comparison to horses (which we are not) and the law at the time never considered mountain bikes. The land owner can still grant a right, and even if they don't it's down to them to stop you getting on the land.

Anyway, fair enough with riding with consideration for peak periods and conservation of the trail, but I'd still ride it if there was capacity and I wouldn't hurtle down it if I'm likely to be running into walkers.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Was on Winn Hill around midday yesterday, spoke to loads of walkers and no-one had a bad thing to say. Said hello to everyone I rode past on the way down and didn't get any animosity. Got some air of some rocks and a 'hurray' from some kids who though i'd bottle it.
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    i rode winn hill two weeks ago on a beautiful sunny day, everyone was happy and enjoying themselves, no animosity what so ever.

ride/walk with care and consideration, the world is for shareing and we ain't on it for that long
  • Was on Winn Hill around midday yesterday, spoke to loads of walkers and no-one had a bad thing to say. Said hello to everyone I rode past on the way down and didn't get any animosity. Got some air of some rocks and a 'hurray' from some kids who though i'd bottle it.

This was my exact expirience yesterday too - lovely day for it! Think it must of been the first weekend of Duke of Edinburgh training though - lots of kids around
  • mskjlk
    mskjlk Posts: 2
    After having a look at the legislation, I can't find anything prohibiting a Bicycle from using a footpath as we know it, Road traffic Act 1988, and Countryside and rights of way act 2000.

I know there are restrictions on the riding of a bike on a footpath 'the paved area that is to the side the side of a road'

Must dig deeper.... :shock:

It's not a hill, just some negative down gradient
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    mskjlk wrote:
    After having a look at the legislation, I can't find anything prohibiting a Bicycle from using a footpath as we know it, Road traffic Act 1988, and Countryside and rights of way act 2000.

Must dig deeper.... :shock:
    Thre Crow act 2000 opened up access for walkkers.Cycling is still covered by the access act of 1968 allowing cycling/horses on Bridleways but prohibiting cycling/horses on footpaths.This doesn't acrtually mean pavements it means FPs in open countryside etc.
    The Government have no plans to give cyclists the same access in England and Wales as riders in Scotland have.
    A group of us have been writing to our MPs regarding this and just last week I recieved a letter from the MP in charge of Defra confirming the this.
    There's a Facebook group called a bike is not a horse who are trying to get the law changed.
  • Anonymous
    The law doesn't make it an automatic crime, it just doesn't make it a legal right. That means cycling on footpaths counts as trespass, just the same as a walker going through a field where there's no public footpath.

It's up to the land owner to do something about it. They could decide to let you roam on their land, wherever you want (as Hurtwood & various land owners do in parts of the Surrey Hills, with some minor exceptions). Or they could, like most, decide the risk of getting sued if there are accidents is too much and just forbid you from riding there.

In my opinion it's the risk aspect that needs a change in the law. Remove the risk to the landowner and place it at our own risk if we choose to ride there, but still leaving it to the land owner to grant access, and more land owners will welcome cycling.

Failing that, changing it to the more open Scottish law is good too. Though it still doesn't mean you can just go ride anywhere you like.

And then you have National Parks to contend with. Many of these are quite anti-bike. Dartmoor and New Forest for example. Strict rules insist you stick to bridleways and cycle paths, and in the New Forest especially the local nimbys police it strongly. Meanwhile walkers can walk anywhere they like.

Which is why I hope the North Downs and Surrey Hills never get turned into a National Park.
  • sniper68
    deadkenny wrote:
    Failing that, changing it to the more open Scottish law is good too. Though it still doesn't mean you can just go ride anywhere you like.

Here's a direct quote from a letter I received from Richard Benyon MP who is the current minister for the Countryside/fisheries and head of Defra

Mr Ibbo made suggestions for changes to public rights of way legislation,but the Government have no plans to introduce access provisions in England similar to those in the Land Reform Act in Scotland.

The legislation has already been subject to a recent comprehensive review with direct input from user groups.In Autumn 2008 Natural England set up a Stakeholder Working Group with a focus on the issues around the planned extinguishment by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act in 2026 of pre-1946 public rights of way not yet recorded on the official definitive map held by surveying authorities.
    :?

The complete letter keeps referring to cyclists and not Mountain Bikers.Although there plans for cycle lanes/tracks/disused railways etc there are no plans to actually change access legislation.
  • sniper68
    deadkenny wrote:

Here's a direct quote from a letter I received from Richard Benyon MP who is the current minister for the Countryside/fisheries and head of Defra

Mr Ibbo made suggestions for changes to public rights of way legislation,but the Government have no plans to introduce access provisions in England similar to those in the Land Reform Act in Scotland.

The legislation has already been subject to a recent comprehensive review with direct input from user groups.In Autumn 2008 Natural England set up a Stakeholder Working Group with a focus on the issues around the planned extinguishment by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act in 2026 of pre-1946 public rights of way not yet recorded on the official definitive map held by surveying authorities.
    :?

The complete letter keeps referring to cyclists and not Mountain Bikers.Although there plans for cycle lanes/tracks/disused railways etc there are no plans to actually change access legislation.
  • Anonymous
    ibbo68 wrote:
    That's another problem. There's more acceptance for commuters cycling to work or families out on a leisure ride with their kids along a footpath as these are seen as nearly as acceptable as the walker with his/her stick and flask of tea. Herds of mountain bikers churning up the countryside is not so well an accepted image (even though walkers churn up the countryside as well, as plenty of well trodden boggy cycle-free footpaths show only too well!).

What's going on with Hurtwood is an interesting experiment to watch as the idea there is to allow access with the aim of managing access and conflict between bikers, walkers and horse riders rather than alienating everyone and having to police access. The aim is that all users should act responsibly basically, with care for the land and other users but not being too restricted. It seems to be working pretty well.

It's interesting that MoD access is fairly relaxed. Whilst in legal terms the opening of access to MoD land still just applies to walkers, they are typically not enforcing bans on bikes. Obviously there are restrictions where there may be exercises though, but it's useful to note that some MoD land is used by Army mountain bikers and they often don't mind public riding on the land and even invite them to take part in events. Though publicly they may deny knowledge of any rights, but again this is a liability issue. You ride at your own risk, don't sue us basically.