New Rear Wheel

SkidMerckx
SkidMerckx Posts: 72
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
My commuting bike (a Focus Merluza) needs a new back wheel as I have worn it out! Inexplicably, this bike came with Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels, which have been surprisingly good considering I weigh 210lbs (the ideal weight for someone of 6’ 6”; unfortunately I am only 5’10”!).

Can anyone recommend either a factory or Hand built wheel with the following spec that will not break the bank?

Black rim, spokes and hub
Lighter than the Fulcrums 1,109g
Will support a fat bloke
Sealed bearings
Shimano free hub

I commute around a 100 miles a week and use the bike for the odd 50 miler at the weekend.

I am sure that all you guy’s on bike radar are svelte, fit and well within your recommended BMI, but perhaps you know someone who is not and can recommend me the wheels they use :wink:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I'm around the 220lb mark and use Mavic Ksyrium Elites which seem plenty tough enough and are certainly light and fast. As for bank breaking that depends on the size of your bank but they are still significantly cheaper than the SSC SL version.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Get yourself a pair of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38867

My brother is about 210lbs and has powerful legs, so after wrecking his previous wheels, bought a pair. They're stiff, strong and well priced.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Thanks Guy's.

Particularly MattC, I was leaning towards Open Pros (I have them on my fixed wheel bike) but not sure what Freehub to go for!

This combo sounds interesting, but Chain Reaction are out of stock at the moment!

Anyone else recommend a good Simano compatible Freehub?