Cycling for a Sense of Wellbeing

drays
drays Posts: 119
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
I moved house last year and now have a 10 mile commute. Childcare arrangements mean most of the week I need to drive so I can drop off and pick up the little one while Mrs drays is at work. I have started commuting by bike when I can earlier this year, and usually do so once a week.

There is a massive difference in my sense of wellbeing when I cycle to work compared to driving. Driving used to be quite enjoyable (many years ago when I passed my test!) but I find it just winds me up these days :evil: . By comparison, cycling starts my day off in a much better light, and I feel much better for it :P .

Is this a typical view, and does cycling have such a positive influence on any of you guys?

2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB

Comments

• Oh lord yes, I have a 30min ride though Bushy Park, etc or I can try my luck with the A316 in the car...

at the moment the deer are in rut so it's just lovely.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Definitely feel much better on the bike. This morning I stopped just to look at a mist-cloaked hillside simply because it made me happier than a pair of kittens in a bucket.

I reckon half the reason we remember driving used to be good is 'cos when most of us passed our tests we were driving around at times of less traffic (students, y'see). Now we're all old and have got proper jobs* we get stuck in the commuter traffic. The other other reason is there actually were fewer cars.

*: Not necessarily true.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Oh lord yes, I have a 30min ride though Bushy Park, etc or I can try my luck with the A316 in the car...

err..... :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • drays
    davis wrote:
    I reckon half the reason we remember driving used to be good is 'cos when most of us passed our tests we were driving around at times of less traffic (students, y'see). Now we're all old and have got proper jobs* we get stuck in the commuter traffic. The other other reason is there actually were fewer cars.

*: Not necessarily true.

This much is true. Being stuck in commuter traffic is very far removed from an enjoyable drive on the open road, lady by your side, with no particular place to go...... :P
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    You know you can drop off and pick up kids with a bike too?
  • drays
    ndru wrote:
    You know you can drop off and pick up kids with a bike too?

Very good point.i do have a Hamax child seat for the bike. However, 10 miles with my work bag plus 2 bags of essentials for the little'un might be pushing it!
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Oh lord yes, I have a 30min ride though Bushy Park, etc or I can try my luck with the A316 in the car...

err..... :shock:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8766162@N04/5086271135/ I Quite often have to stop to let them pass, and I'm really not going to bother a horny forty stone stag. Is lovely this time of year, I'm normally passing though before 7am so all foggy etc.

They don't half smell either....
  • davis wrote:
    This morning I stopped just to look at a mist-cloaked hillside simply because it made me happier than a pair of kittens in a bucket.

It makes you happy to drown kittens? :shock: Davis, I thought better of you.
  • Its awesome to ride in the morning blowing the monday blues away as you put the power down and show the pootlers a quick flash of awesome that they can't help but admire, raising a smile and helping them feel better too :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    davis wrote:
    This morning I stopped just to look at a mist-cloaked hillside simply because it made me happier than a pair of kittens in a bucket.

It makes you happy to drown kittens? :shock: Davis, I thought better of you.

I said nothing about water.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    That'd definitely be a challenge at least at first, but just think about the respect you'd get from the community. You could even think about getting a bakfiets or a trailer.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I wake up and look forwards to my commute, even if it is through London. The ride home de-stresses me and helps ensure that I arrive home a more relaxed person. The other half can always tell the days that I take PT to get home and not just because I come home smelling of booze ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    its a drug, the more you do the less you can live without it, if I have to drive a week to work I am miserable. All the time I keep thinking why is everyone stressed, ill, and miserable, then I drive for a week, then I get it. driving everyday would change me beyond recognition, a little part of me would die.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I wake up and look forwards to my commute, even if it is through London. The ride home de-stresses me and helps ensure that I arrive home a more relaxed person. The other half can always tell the days that I take PT to get home and not just because I come home smelling of booze ;)

This. Usually a dead giveaway if I've been on PT.
  • ketsbaia wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Do you drink to forget your awful commute?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    its the only reason I keep getting back on PT, I forget how bad it is
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I love it, I feel so much more awake after riding to work then the stinky train with all the brain dead morons that seem to use it at the same time as me.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Do you drink to forget your awful commute?

No, I drink to forget my awful other half. :lol:

*runs*
  • drays wrote:
    I moved house last year and now have a 10 mile commute. Childcare arrangements mean most of the week I need to drive so I can drop off and pick up the little one while Mrs drays is at work. I have started commuting by bike when I can earlier this year, and usually do so once a week.

There is a massive difference in my sense of wellbeing when I cycle to work compared to driving. Driving used to be quite enjoyable (many years ago when I passed my test!) but I find it just winds me up these days :evil: . By comparison, cycling starts my day off in a much better light, and I feel much better for it :P .

Is this a typical view, and does cycling have such a positive influence on any of you guys?

concur
  • drays wrote:

concur
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I have just come back from London, and the underground was more smelly and hot than I remembered. I had been enviously looking at the Boris bikes and wishing the causal user system had been sorted out, but instead walked where possible - central London isn't really very big.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    drays wrote:
    I believe it is and yes it most definitely does!

I started cycling through Shrewsbury 4 years ago, when I got fed up of sitting in queues during a 4/5 mile commute. I'd not ridden much for years but it clicked straight away, and when the dark evenings came I just bought some lights and carried on.

It has become an essential part of my routine. Only a dream job would persuade me to give it up. The office has relocated 3 miles further out of town, which is great as I get to spend longer on my bike and ride round the country lanes. The odd days I have to take the car are tedious, even Radio 4 can't compensate for the uninvolving, zombie-like passive experience.

In the winter my colleagues arrive at work feeling sleepy and cold (even with A/C), they head for the kettle for caffeine before they can function. I'm always bright, even in the rain. On every ride I feel truly alive, I smell the air, watch the seasons change and greet any wildlife and walkers I meet. No two are ever the same.

I like my work but when 5 o'clock comes I'm looking forward to the best part of the day. When I leave the office I pull out onto a busy A-road but immediately turn off onto a tiny back lane lined by tall, unkempt hedges. I have escaped! Within a few yards I see the Breidden hills, my heart skips and anything work related is forgotten. I can that view now, and it never fails to cheer me.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I love the freedom of the bike...

the fitness aspect and the competition for better faster times drives me on
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Finlab6
    Finlab6 Posts: 127
    I agree also. Cant remember who posted but the advice that caused me to enjoy it even more was "stop trying to beat your best time and just enjoy it"
    MTB GT Avalanche 1.0
    Road - Specialized Allez Sport

exercise.png
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Simon E wrote:
    drays wrote:
    I believe it is and yes it most definitely does!

I started cycling through Shrewsbury 4 years ago, when I got fed up of sitting in queues during a 4/5 mile commute. I'd not ridden much for years but it clicked straight away, and when the dark evenings came I just bought some lights and carried on.

It has become an essential part of my routine. Only a dream job would persuade me to give it up. The office has relocated 3 miles further out of town, which is great as I get to spend longer on my bike and ride round the country lanes. The odd days I have to take the car are tedious, even Radio 4 can't compensate for the uninvolving, zombie-like passive experience.

In the winter my colleagues arrive at work feeling sleepy and cold (even with A/C), they head for the kettle for caffeine before they can function. I'm always bright, even in the rain. On every ride I feel truly alive, I smell the air, watch the seasons change and greet any wildlife and walkers I meet. No two are ever the same.

I like my work but when 5 o'clock comes I'm looking forward to the best part of the day. When I leave the office I pull out onto a busy A-road but immediately turn off onto a tiny back lane lined by tall, unkempt hedges. I have escaped! Within a few yards I see the Breidden hills, my heart skips and anything work related is forgotten. I can that view now, and it never fails to cheer me.

Very well put Simon, I agree.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    jimmypippa wrote:
    ... enviously looking at the Boris bikes and wishing the causal user system had been sorted out, ....

There's a good joke in there somewhere about causal users and effective users and which one's which... but I just can't find it! :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Simon E wrote:

I like my work but when 5 o'clock comes I'm looking forward to the best part of the day....

And there you have it as my sound bite to colleagues: it turns the worst part of the day into the best part of the day.

Even though I spend a fortune on it :oops:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.