Post accident things to check

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Mentioned it on Friday, but I had an altercation with a VW Touareg on the commute into work. Collision was outside 'On Your Bike' in London Bridge so I left the bike there for them to check over, which they'll be doing today.

It's a Boardman Team Carbon.
Carbon frame and forks, Compact SRAM.

What should I ensure they've checked, and any questions to be asking to be certain that nothing's been missed etc? I have Mr Touareg's details and imagine I'll be asking him to foot the bill for repairs so the priority is that the bike doesn't suffer :D
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• dhope
    Gents on Friday @ Morpeth mentioned frame, forks, headset. Carbon more prone to catastrophic failure vs visible dinks you might get on Alu.

Handlebars, gear alignment? Anything out of the ordinary to be checking or asking LBS to check?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Be carefull with carbon frames, bike shop may well tell you it's toast.

Really worth checking very closely because cracks will grow and can't easily be repaired. Can't always see the damage though depending how much of a beating it took they might reccomend a new one anyway.

Make sure they check the rear mech hanger, can bend easily without being easy to spot.

First things first though, check your trouser furniture is ok, bikes can be replaced :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • dhope
    prawny wrote:
    Be carefull with carbon frames, bike shop may well tell you it's toast.

Really worth checking very closely because cracks will grow and can't easily be repaired. Can't always see the damage though depending how much of a beating it took they might reccomend a new one anyway.

Make sure they check the rear mech hanger, can bend easily without being easy to spot.

First things first though, check your trouser furniture is ok, bikes can be replaced :wink:

Popped into A&E after work on Friday, aside from a couple of impressive bruises I think I'm about fine.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Looking at it the other way, ask them to talk you through what they have checked and what they have needed to repair/adjust.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Post-accident Checklist:

1) Did anyone see me look stupid
    2) Is my bike ok
    3) Am I ok
  • Trev71
    Trev71 Posts: 46
    Crashed recently and in my hurry to get away from the two dog walkers who saw me looking like a complete knob, didn't check the bike properly. Found out about a minute later that my mech hanger was bent and that I had somehow managed to get a bubble into my hydraulic brakes - squeezed the lever, it came back to the bar, 'sh*****tt!!'