the Cyclo cross racing post

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    First cross race(this year) last Saturday for me in the Notts and Derby League.
    Big turn out and about 170 in the seniors/vets/grand vets(that's me)/women
    Started in about 130th with the way the gridding worked so busy first couple of laps
    Had forgotten how hard the races were!!!!!!

Anyway ended up 35th and 3rd in my age category so not too bad for the first race of the season and a few ranking points to boot
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Well done Mike.

Went to the Central league training day, really good day. But I'm now planning a new bike! May have to wait until next year as Jnr's new cross bike has priority.
  • MikeWW wrote:
    First cross race(this year) last Saturday for me in the Notts and Derby League.
    Big turn out and about 170 in the seniors/vets/grand vets(that's me)/women
    Started in about 130th with the way the gridding worked so busy first couple of laps
    Had forgotten how hard the races were!!!!!!

Anyway ended up 35th and 3rd in my age category so not too bad for the first race of the season and a few ranking points to boot

Was my first experience of cross racing, albeit as a marshall. Kudos to all of you, looked v hard work.
  • hammerite wrote:
    mikenetic, I know you asked about training..... the central league have organised a coaching day. http://centralcxl.org.uk/wpcx/?p=10

thanks for the link, unfortunately I've been away on holiday and missed it. Ah well, I'm just going to have to chuck myself in the deep end :P
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    hammerite wrote:
    Went to the Central league training day, really good day. But I'm now planning a new bike! May have to wait until next year as Jnr's new cross bike has priority.

had a great day there as well - forgotten how much of a total body workout 'cross is, and ache like a dog tonight!

I know I spoke/raced with you back in 2010 but did I talk with you again yesterday? I was the only BMCC rider in team kit so couldnt miss me. There were lots of BRCC and Trisports guys I was talking with but wasnt sure if one was you?
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • hammerite
    Bigpikle wrote:

had a great day there as well - forgotten how much of a total body workout 'cross is, and ache like a dog tonight!

I know I spoke/raced with you back in 2010 but did I talk with you again yesterday? I was the only BMCC rider in team kit so couldnt miss me. There were lots of BRCC and Trisports guys I was talking with but wasnt sure if one was you?

Yes I ache a bit too! Having to do double hurdles x 2 every minute for about half an hour starts to take it's toll!

There were only 2 BRCC riders there, my stepson and myself. Yes I'm sure we spoke, we were talking about your crash in a sportive I think.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Yep - those hurdles hurt after a while!

Are you racing the season opener for the Wessex league on Sat? Its Oxford, and vets race with women and juniors and only for 40 mins, so I figured a good practice race before the serius stuff in the Central.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • hammerite
    No not racing on Saturday. I'm organising a road race which is on Sunday so I think I'll be running around like a blue a*sed fly all day!

Have a good one.
  • MikeWW
    So who is racing where this weekend?

Its Notts and Derby for me on Saturday and the the first of the West Mids rounds Sunday.
  • I'm also going to be doing the first round of the west mids on sunday which is my first cross race :?
    going to treat the first one as a bit of a fact finding mission and build on it from there
  • MikeWW
    I am sure you will enjoy it
    Its at Pitcher Oak and quite different to most of the courses in that it is closer to a mountain bike circuit. Plenty of climbing, a few roots and singletrack.
    Good luck
  • Cheers Mike. I just hope its not too technical as recent training proved that my off road skills have deserted me!
  • MikeWW
    Its all rideable apart from some logs that you jump over
    Spare set of lungs after the climb is handy :D
  • Bigpikle wrote:
    Yep - those hurdles hurt after a while!

Are you racing the season opener for the Wessex league on Sat? Its Oxford, and vets race with women and juniors and only for 40 mins, so I figured a good practice race before the serius stuff in the Central.

I'd have liked to have gone to Oxford on Saturday but I'll be stuck in work for a good part of the day. :(

As things stand, my season should be kicking off at Hillingdon on the 30th; the aim is to do 6 Central events and 6 Wessex ones this season (plus a few odds & ends over Christmas such as one or both of the Herne Hill "Double-Cross" promotions and the Macclesfield Supercross whilst visiting friends up in Cheshire) and see how I place in each league.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I'll be at Notts and Derby too. How does the standard vary between the two leagues Mike? Idle curiosity more than anything - quite unlikely to ride in 2 races in a weekend and quite impressed that your legs are up to it!
  • MikeWW
    Not that much in it. Probably the standard is slightly higher in the West Mids. Both are a similar format this year whereas last year it was a stand alone race in the West Mids for Seniors. Big fields in Notts and Derby
    Good luck Puttyknees
  • Didn't see you on the results Mike, change your mind? Hot and fast today at notts and derby. Went pretty well for me apart from cramp on the last lap losing me a bit. Good luck to those racing tomorrow.
  • MikeWW
    I was there
    40th overall and 3rd in the grand vets
    It was pretty quick-where did you finish?
  • Ah yes I see you now, nice work. I came in 67, which is my best result. I was pretty daft as I could feel cramp coming on but kept pushing and that lost me quite a few places, but gives me hope for the season.
  • My first season of cross started this weekend with a top 20 ( i think, but the results were a mess and they had me an extra lap down than I actually was) at the Wessex league race in Oxford yesterday and 4th in the Western league at Gloucester this morning. I was off the pace of the winning group in both races, but happy enough with the result.

Had mechanical trouble in both races....never buy a superstar components chain catcher! They are shite!! I'l bodge something out of it though.

Great weekends racing..it's like road racing but...fun... people laugh when you dive up the inside of a corner, there are no vague shouts of 'hold your line' and its alaways balls out.

Bring on next weekend!
  • What exactly is the point in BC cross points?

They're used for gridding purposes in top level races - national trophy races / national champs etc. If you don't do these, then no point.
  • Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Cheers.

Was nobody else racing this weekend?
  • Was nobody else racing this weekend?

No, thanks to work commitments I couldn't make Oxford last Saturday else I'd have definitely given it a go. As part of my dual Wessex/Central campaign this season I should be at Hillingdon this Sunday though for the Central opener.

David
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    I too raced at Oxford - it was my first experience of cross so I started DFL to avoid ruining anyone elses day.
    Throughly enjoyed it though and due to starting at the back was able to work my way up, got lapped by the top 6-8 riders but that was all.

I'm still hoping to see some results but the BC website only seems to have the top 10 so far.

Anyway I liked it enough I'm off to Swindon tonight to try the Floodlit race. Should be interesting.
  • Results are up. I was about 10 places further back than I thought. which is annoying but I had a fair bit of mechanical trouble so that makes up for it a bit. a long way to go before I'm competitive though!

I best get training!
  • hammerite
    you're best checking the league website for full results than BC... http://www.wessexcx.co.uk/2012/09/15/ra ... sept-2012/

David - don't turn up to Hillingdon this weekend, the race is the following weekend!
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    Well I failed to make it to swindon tonight due to van hire confusion but on the plus side turns out I finished 29/60 at the oxford race on saturday. Since I started DFL I passed 30 people! I'll call that a good start to my cross career!
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Anyone racing in the Central League? Just over a week to go till first race of the season!
  • hammerite wrote:
    you're best checking the league website for full results than BC... http://www.wessexcx.co.uk/2012/09/15/ra ... sept-2012/

David - don't turn up to Hillingdon this weekend, the race is the following weekend!

Dunno why I wrote that as I had it firmly lodged in my brain that it's on the 30th!! 4 hours at work followed by a tough 23-mile TT for me on Saturday, so my Sunday this weekend will actually be spent doing as little as possible other than watching the Worlds RR on BBC2. :)

David