anyone used chase skills?

bowtimer
bowtimer Posts: 5
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
anyone used chase skills down at cannock,or can anyone recommend a good course/instructor in the midlands thinkin winters the time to polish up ready for the summer(oh the summer)

Comments

• x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Hi there,

You'd be more than welcome to attend one of our courses. Hopefully one of our previous attendees will be along soon to let you know their experience.

If you have access to Facebook, you could always pop along to our page and ask one of the many previous attendees who is a "like" of the page.

Facebook Page

.....you're right about the summer! What a feeling thinking it's soooooo far away again. However, I do like the night rides! :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
    Craig Rogers
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Don't forget that there's also http://www.thebikeschool.net, who obviously have a better pupil/teacher ratio.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    It would be remiss of me not to recommend Jedi at UK Bike Skills/...

Do a search on here and you'll see all the positive feedback. Well worth the investment.[/url]
  • I too am looking at doing some skills courses and have looked around before splashing the cash.

I was lucky enough to speak to a MIAS assessor a few weeks back and got a lot of information from him, but he's far to far away for me to go on a course with him and he did mention a few guys. Dirt School (but again too far away), Chase Skills and Cycle Active, all with some good feedback.

There does seem to be loads of people popping up everywhere lately which must be good for us all.

I've heard good stuff about a lot of skills guys which again is good.

After speaking with the assessor, as long as the groups are small enough, I don't really see any benefit in running more than one coach, so not sure that the pupil/teacher ratio is really valid unless the group sizes are large.

I've read about the Jedi too, but again, not really in the midlands and I'd like to keep it local if I can.
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I did the level 2 skills course with Chase Skills two weeks ago, and it was great - really confidence inspiring. Although you're in a group, you still get individual advice and attention.
  • Hi guys

Just thought we should introduce our self’s we are the bike of school Cannock Chase and we are providing skills training of several disciplines check out our new website www.thebikeschool.net for more info.

We are local guys to Cannock chase and have a lot to do with the local downhill scene the racers guild. We have been set up providing skills training for a couple of months now check out some of our testimonials’ http://www.thebikeschool.net/testimonials.html. We have full backing from the local guys at Chase trails, swinnerton cycle and the racers guild, we also provide chasetrail members with a 15% discount! Check out our site for more details

Thanks Adam Halling
  • ckc69
    ckc69 Posts: 29
    I used Chase Skills for their Level 2 course yesterday.

I have been riding trails around the country for about 18months now (Mainly Cannock and Wales) and I am able to ride most of them comfortably, Cannock is my local trail centre. I have improved greatly over this time but I wish I had paid for a course like this much earlier.

Some of the basic skills such as manuals, bunny hops and jumps etc my current technique was poor and I didn't really know what to do in order to improve myself. I feel that learning by trial and error is OK up to a point but I needed more expert tuition in order to ramp up my learning curve.

I walked away from yesterdays training course feeling very enthusiastic about the months ahead. I now have clear direction of what I should be practicing.

Craig Rogers is a good teacher. He explains the theory of each skill in a clear and concise manner including practical demonstrations and then he critiqued each of our attempts at performing the skill.

In the past, when I had a spare £60 I'd either piss it up the wall or spend it on bike related equipment. I now know that professional training pays far greater dividends than a nice, new cycling jacket!
  • x-isle
    Hi ckc69,

I'm guessing from the username it's Craig (another Craig), I'm so glad that you took so much from the day. It certainly makes my day when I read that people's experience is so good.

Many thanks for all the kind words and good luck with all your future riding!
    Craig Rogers
  • Lucozade1
    Lucozade1 Posts: 171
    bowtimer wrote:
    anyone used chase skills down at cannock,or can anyone recommend a good course/instructor in the midlands thinkin winters the time to polish up ready for the summer(oh the summer)

Chase Skills have a free taster course day on December 4th i fthere any spaces still free as they were going like hot cakes at the weekend.. :wink:
    It's all in the glory!!!

2011 Giant Trance X2
    [url=ihttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa452/Lucozadejim/MyMachine4.jpg]ihttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa ... chine4.jpg[/url]
    2008 Rockrider HT
  • endrick
    endrick Posts: 30
    Lucozade1 wrote:
    Chase Skills have a free taster course day on December 4th i fthere any spaces still free as they were going like hot cakes at the weekend.. :wink:

Booked mine last night thanks Craig.

Will get my name down for a Level 1 course once the 2011 dates are released. :D
  • ckc69
    ckc69 Posts: 29
    Hi Craig.... Yes it is Craig :)

I am looking forward to practising what I learned last week tomorrow on the Chase!

Cheers Mate!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Chase skills = top banana.

My missus did the ladies course with him yesterday and she's much more up for mountain biking than ever, very keen to practice what she's learnt and she learnt a hell of a lot considering the amount of times I tried to show her what to do, she was just a point the bike and roll over everything person.

Think I'll have to get myself booked in for a course too.

Cheers from me and the missus Craig ;)
  • Some one on this thread questioned the benifit of having 2 insructors per group.

The reasons we www.thebikeschool.net use 2 instructors per group are;

One instructor rides a HT the other a dual suss. This means all riders can relate better to what is possible on each type of bike as there are subtle differences in techniques for HT and DS riding.

More 1-2-1 time beween each instructor and rider.

One rider can demo whilst the other explains.

Worse case senario and something goes wrong, two guys to sort it out.

One guy to fix or help you fix your bike whilst the session continues for the other riders.
    etc....

We are not saying you need 2 instructors, it's just the way we like to do things at the bike school.

Check out our video to see what we are about. http://www.thebikeschool.net/

You will also find some testimonials on the site. Worth a look!
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Some one on this thread questioned the benifit of having 2 insructors per group.

I cant see a post on this thread that raises that issue?....Oh wait yep just seen it :D I haven't got a full suss...does that mean only one of you would speak to me if I came on a course? :D
  • x-isle
    Briggo wrote:
    Chase skills = top banana.

My missus did the ladies course with him yesterday and she's much more up for mountain biking than ever, very keen to practice what she's learnt and she learnt a hell of a lot considering the amount of times I tried to show her what to do, she was just a point the bike and roll over everything person.

Think I'll have to get myself booked in for a course too.

Cheers from me and the missus Craig ;)

Thanks Liam,

I'm glad she got a lot out of it, I'm sure the confidence will soon follow and she'll be giving you a run for your money! :D
    Craig Rogers