Is This Normal ?

Silversladey
Silversladey Posts: 450
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Had my Mtb 6 months, just had a service and the following parts have worn and need replacing now or within the next few months:-

Bottom Bracket
Rear Hub
chainset
Cassette
1 set of pads
Saddle
Seat post
1 x Rota
also been through two sets of grips

All this from a bike that cost me £1800 just 6 months ago, I do ride 2 or 3 times a week so the bike has probably done about 2000 hard miles but still !!

So am i being tight or this just the norm :x :x :x

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    pretty much yes.

Add suspension bushes/bearings to that soon too :(
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Do you clean the bike regularly, dirty drivetrains in particular will wear out very quickly (I did and "experiment with not cleaning the bike through winter and had to replace nearly the whole lot after about 4 months - I clean it now!)

BB (particularly if it was a Race Face), Cassette, chain, disk pads - yes

Chainset - do you mean chainrings? - not great for 6 months but if you ve done 2000miles, ok

rear hub - what did you do to that?

Seat post, saddle, grips - ???how the hell do you "wear them out" are you sure you just did nt change them for pimpage value?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Grips wear out so I can understand that. Not sure why a seat post would need replacing unless you crashed?

The rest of the stuff wears out so it's normal to get replacements.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seems excessive to me. Never seen a worn out seatpost.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ok you got me I pimped the grips but they have worn, The seat post is scratched and i want to replace it for cosmetic reasons the rest of the stuff is worn
    The guy who serviced my bike who i implicitly trust said that the cones are worn on the hub, I religiously clean the bike after every ride and always lube everything.
    I ride Cwmcarn at least once a week and i did the Brecon Beast, I was just hopeing that these components would last longer.
    Going to have to start a secret savings stash away from the wife to pay for all the work :cry:
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    seems a bit excesive, but if your hard on your gear:

learn how to, and service your hubs more often.

check your drivechain for wear regularly.

saddle and seatpost: battlescars, if it still works dont waste £££

get that stash going tho, you'll need it at some point :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You wore out a brake ROTOR in 6 months?
  • Check your wheels for play every ride, it makes the difference between a quick 'nip up' and a new hub. Step 2 learn to tighten the cones yourself.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    SDK2007 wrote:
    Grips wear out so I can understand that

Yeah but two in 6 months?!

Sounds like you might be better off with some more durable hubs with sealed bearings (at least they re easy to replace) - the legendary/contraversial Hope Pro II's perhaps?!

and I still think you ve been a bit unlucky with the rest really....I'm a big guy and ride twice a week on average (not sure I'd rack up 2000m in 6 months though) and I suppose my drivetrain stuff lasts for about a year give or take...The plan is usually to ride it into the ground over the winter and replace stuff when the sun comes out again!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • You wore out a brake ROTOR in 6 months?

Apologies I bent the rotor, not worn

Thanks for all the advice will run the worn parts over the winter and replace with better quality (possibly anodised) bits in the spring :D

P.S.
    Rode Whites Level today and still IMO the best Man Made trail in S Wales
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's not many trails that aren't man made in some way or another.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    There's not many trails that aren't man made in some way or another.
    I spend quite a lot of time pondering this.

I ride to the official trails on Cannock via the...unofficial trails and I wonder how they were made. There are no obvious signs of cutting/digging/sawing and yet they are remarkably buff and...MTB size IYKWIM.

People say they are deer tracks all I can say is the deer must be f*cking brilliant at building trails.
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    I say you're getting stung!

How do you wear out a seat post!? And how do you wear out a cassette and chainset but not the chain!?? :lol::lol:
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Neily03 wrote:
    And how do you wear out a cassette and chainset but not the chain!?? :lol::lol:

I'd was going to say - sounds like you need to replace your chain more often (works out a lot cheaper than replacing the cassette and chainrings!)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160