Cycling in Autumn

diamondbacker
diamondbacker Posts: 224
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Went for a ride in the woods this afternoon having not been in for a few weeks. It was lethal even at half speed! Leaves covering holes, roots and stumps. Didn't help that I also had semi slicks on as it was a spur of the moment decision.

Still, at least it made the ride interesting!

Comments

• Get better tyres for the conditions on and just be careful.

Not much else apart from that can be said really.
  • What sort of tyres are worth a punt over the winter? I'd be looking towards the cheap and cheerful end of the market if I'm honest!
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    I also had semi slicks on

therin lies your problem, but....yes:

"the season of mellow mists and fruitfullness", and leaves on the lawn...and slimy roots...various fungi.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    What sort of tyres are worth a punt over the winter? I'd be looking towards the cheap and cheerful end of the market if I'm honest!

Depends on the terrain/gradients etc, "woods" is very general.

Cheaper end though Specialized Storms are supposed to be very good for the money, £20 per tyre.
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    I like the wonderful illusions that occur- we were out in the woods yesterday, and sweet chestnut leaves and small but nasty rocks look the same in dappled shade..... Until you hit the wrong one too fast :shock:

had great fun, and got a very muddy bum- heaven!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    What sort of tyres are worth a punt over the winter? I'd be looking towards the cheap and cheerful end of the market if I'm honest!

Panaracer, Fire XC Pro 2.1's best all rounders going you can get the cheap version (exactly the same as the "real" ones just with out the same logo and coloured side walls) for as low as 20quid I have seen offers as low as 2 for 25quid on CRC but that was some time back.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54055

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Panaracer-Fire- ... _15929.htm
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • What sort of tyres are worth a punt over the winter? I'd be looking towards the cheap and cheerful end of the market if I'm honest!

Panaracer Trailrakers & Bontrager Mud X's are both excellent winter mud tyres. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What do you ride and what style? Loads of options.

I do techy trails and the odd bit of steep stuff (usually involving me falling off), which was fun with the leaves on yesterday! I've got Maxxis High Roller on the back and Minion DHF on the front. If you're going to be on roads for a fair portion of your ride though these will drag badly on tarmac. They work best in the crud, dirt, gravel, rocks, etc. Didn't seem to slip about on the leaves either, though they were dry. Will see how it goes on wet leaves.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    J L wrote:
    Panaracer, Fire XC Pro 2.1's best all rounders going you can get the cheap version (exactly the same as the "real" ones just with out the same logo and coloured side walls) for as low as 20quid I have seen offers as low as 2 for 25quid on CRC but that was some time back.

Merlin do a pair of the cheap version for £24. They are not the same compound as the Pros.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Drop your air presures as well.
    I'm Currently 25 psi on the front and 33 on the back.
    Don't think, BE:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    tsenior wrote:
    I also had semi slicks on
    therin lies your problem
    +1

Was round the Monkey on Sat afternoon when it suddenly started raining in that dense, swirly misty kind of way. My mate promptly fell off on the 'squirrely' fireroad descent on the way to Upper Cliff it was like an earthquake. The bike cartwheeled down the track and my mate ran alongside it for like 10m before stumbling and falling over.

Oh how we laughed at the cut on his leg and buckled rear wheel.
  • Just a quick update - I was out on my bike again with better tyres this time in the woods. All going well until I tried to avoid a big hole in the ground and cycled straight in to a big rock hidden by leaves. Result - me going over the handlebars and landing heavily on my right shoulder which has already been pinned and had an artificial ligament.

It was agony, I could have sworn I'd done my shoulder again! Anyway got to A & E and fortunately shoulder repair is still ok just badly bruised and strained.

Moral of the story - I think I will be waiting until the leaves are gone before going back in the woods.

On the plus side an adult deer crossed my path about 4 metres in front of me as I was struggling home which almost made it worthwhile. Almost!