Colnago C40 - eBay purchase

2»

Comments

• donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    colnago looks great,probably the best name you can buy, well respected and a good bargain price too.
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    caw35slr wrote:
    nochekmate wrote:
    I'm already operating a 27.2mm - 28mm shim

Please, where did you get it?

To answer my own question, I got a USE 28-to-27.2 shim from ukbikestore.co.uk.
  • caw35slr
    edited March 2011
    I've just brought a C40 back from Holland, will post a photo soon. It' a 61 cm Freuler from before the days of B-Stays, which I prefer.
    mrdsgs wrote:
    i could be wrong, but the paint style is spelt "arte decor"

You are close: mine says "Art Decor" on the left side of the top tube. What the hell does art decor mean? Is this a misprint that somehow stuck? The coachwork is more art nouveau than art deco. Maybe Mr. Colnago's house has art nouveau decor? ;-).

The frame is blue/white with coachlines in pink and mint green. It looks brilliant and is in absolutely mint condition. The rider on the top tube has both hands on!

Spec:

- Ksyrium wheels (presumably period, so how much is left in the rims is anybody's guess)
    - Dura Ace groupset (also period, so 9s, all-metal, trad BB).
    - ITM Millennium aluminium cockpit.
    - Chris King headset.
    - Unbranded carbon seatpost with no shim.
    - It even has Ultegra pedals and Sigma computer.

I paid 800 Euros for it. I think I got a good deal.

Questions:

1. How do identify the model/series number of Shimano groupsets? Anybody got a link?
    2. How do I evaluate the wear to the rims?
    3. How do I date this frame?
    4. NapoleonD, is your 28mm seatpost branded? EDIT: Strike that. nochekmate, is your 28mm seatpost branded?
    5. I'll measure it, but seeing as I'm typing...Italian BB shell, right? EDIT: Yes, Italian.
    6. It has fulllength rear brake cable outer (and the requisite, er, braze-ons). Is that normal for a bike of this vintage? EDIT: it would seem so.

One more question regarding wheel aesthetics:

I intend to sell the wheels and the groupset. I have a 2007 carbon Chorus 10s gruppo which, despite the age difference, would be an improvement IMHO. As for wheels, I have a pair of Record hubs, but to which rims should I have them laced? I'm thinking something like black CXP-33 rims via bladed spokes. What would be good match age-wise to the frame? EDIT: I slotted my Record/DT Comp/Open Pros into the dropouts and they looked good.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    caw35slr wrote:
    You are close: mine says "Art Decor" on the left side of the top tube. What the hell does art decor mean? Is this a misprint that somehow stuck? The coachwork is more art nouveau than art deco. Maybe Mr. Colnago's house has art nouveau decor? ;-).

Probably just can't spell. Bike companies often can't - my Ribble (UK company) has a 'carbon fiber' frame. That does actually irritate me a bit :lol:

As for Mr Colnago's paint jobs - neither Deco nor Nouveau. More 'Art Explosioninapaintfactory' than anything else!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • caw35slr
    Some photos. NapD will love my watering can...

DSC_0100-20110322-124527.jpg

DSC_0101-20110322-124558.jpg

DSC_0102-20110322-124618.jpg

DSC_0103-20110322-124642.jpg

DSC_0104-20110322-124705.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bike looks great! For the second time on this page, seat pin is sold!
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Bike looks great! For the second time on this page, seat pin is sold!

Yes and it was me who bought it for my C40!!
  • caw35slr
    nochekmate wrote:
    Yes and it was me who bought it for my C40!!

I'd be interested to see a picture of it. Is it branded? Mine is completely label free, yet is a very snug fit (so 28mm?). Need to get a caliper onto it to get a proper measurement. I'll add a photo of mine tomorrow.

Can one of you have a tilt at my questions please?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    As a matter of interest lads, what size seat post does the c40 take, is it 28 or 27.2?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    28mm to my knowledge (not too many around at that size) - I previously had a 27.2mm post with a 28mm shim.
  • caw35slr
    According to Sheldon Brown, all C40s have 28mm seatposts.
  • caw35slr
    Another quick question: is the seat clamp 32mm in size?
  • caw35slr
    Some new pictures:

DSC_0843-20110429-142051.jpg

DSC_0844-20110429-142228.jpg

DSC_0845-20110429-142418.jpg

Swapped the watering can for a rusty planter. Swapped the Star fork for a Force with a longer steerer. Added my hand-built wheels (Harry Rowland OpenPro on Record via DT Comp), 2007 Chorus gruppo, Record headset. Finished with a 48cm Nitto Noodle bar, Fizik saddle and tape. Finally some appropriate spacers.

Seeking a Colnago seat clamp, hence my previous question about size.