London to Paris 2011

I'm thinking of doing a London - Paris organised ride next year. I'm leaning towards the Royal British Legion Pedal to Paris, mostly because I'm a serviceman and its naturally a charity close to my heart. Has anyone done it? How does it stand up when compared to the other options that are out there?

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• hi, if its any help I went with discover adventure this year and they were fantastic. :D
  • I've only ridden with the British Legion (did it for the first time this year) and I have to say that it was fantastic! I'm really keen to try and raise the money again to do it next year.

The organisation was really good. They had mechanics who provided their time for free, free sports massages during the day at the stops (which were a god-send!). There was no chance of going hungry as there was tons of food available and the organisers were really happy to help out where they could.

The riding itself was great, helped in part by fantastic weather this year. The best bit of it was riding with a rolling road block for the whole time in France so for three days you don't have to worrry about cars. I think they are the only charity ride who have enough clout to get the Arc de Triomphe shut down (I believe the other cycle event that can do this is the Tour de France).

The only potential down side would be if you're a very serious cyclist as you are kept in the rolling road block which can feel slow at times and if you're in the fast speed group you have to wait at the final stop of the day for a while for the 'social' group to arrive as they can only close the roads in the big towns once a day. However if you have the mindset that it's not a race and you just want to enjoy the cycling, then it's great.

Hope that helps.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Schobiedoo wrote:
    I've only ridden with the British Legion (did it for the first time this year) and I have to say that it was fantastic! I'm really keen to try and raise the money again to do it next year.

The organisation was really good. They had mechanics who provided their time for free, free sports massages during the day at the stops (which were a god-send!). There was no chance of going hungry as there was tons of food available and the organisers were really happy to help out where they could.

The riding itself was great, helped in part by fantastic weather this year. The best bit of it was riding with a rolling road block for the whole time in France so for three days you don't have to worrry about cars. I think they are the only charity ride who have enough clout to get the Arc de Triomphe shut down (I believe the other cycle event that can do this is the Tour de France).

The only potential down side would be if you're a very serious cyclist as you are kept in the rolling road block which can feel slow at times and if you're in the fast speed group you have to wait at the final stop of the day for a while for the 'social' group to arrive as they can only close the roads in the big towns once a day. However if you have the mindset that it's not a race and you just want to enjoy the cycling, then it's great.

Hope that helps.

Are you sure they got the Arc De Triomphe shut down ? Even the tour doesn't do this as there is too much traffic which is why they don't go round it any more. If they can't do it for a global spectacle i'm not sure if they would do it for a charity ride with no TV coverage
  • Yep, they definitely get the Arch de Triomphe shut down as it's a war memorial and the charity ride focusses very much on this. You'd be surprised how much power the British Legion has in France.

We cycled up the Avenue de la grande armee and then stopped there for a memorial service. It doesn't get it shut down for a long time, just sufficient time for 300 cyclists as a group to cycle up it and then once again for everyone to cross the road in a procession. Let's just say it's a hell of a great finishline!!
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • I did the London to Paris with The British Legion in 2009 and i can confirm that they do shut L'Arc de Triomphe as you march up to it. You get full french millitary band there as well, even for me who has nothing to do with the services it was an emotional time and riding on the cobbles was a great experience. As a social ride it was great to meet so many different people, and the french outriders were great too. Im thinking of doing next years so might see you there if you decide to do it.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Schobiedoo wrote:
    Yep, they definitely get the Arch de Triomphe shut down as it's a war memorial and the charity ride focusses very much on this. You'd be surprised how much power the British Legion has in France.

We cycled up the Avenue de la grande armee and then stopped there for a memorial service. It doesn't get it shut down for a long time, just sufficient time for 300 cyclists as a group to cycle up it and then once again for everyone to cross the road in a procession. Let's just say it's a hell of a great finishline!!

Seems you get better treatment than the tour they don't even get to get as far as the arc. Sorry for doubting you thought it might have been le defense of one of the other arches or something instead
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1 to all the praise for Pedal to Paris. My own report about this year is here. Hopefully I'll do 2011, if they'll have me back!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Yes they definitely close the Arc du Triomphe for the riders as they approach. My wife did it in 2009 and I was there to greet here at the Arc. She had a great time - didn't manage it in 2010, but we plan on riding it together in 2011.