pedal removal

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
I need a spare set of pedals and currently use Look Keo's. I need to be able to remove them when at home but also at tracks.

I've been told that a short hex wrench is better to stop the crank arm wanting to move around. Is it better to buy a separate one and not as part of a multi tool?
http://twitter.com/mgalex
www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

Comments

• PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    A multi tool should be fine. Just make sure to use plenty of grease when installing the pedals and they will come off easily without using much force.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • PieterM wrote:
    A multi tool should be fine. Just make sure to use plenty of grease when installing the pedals and they will come off easily without using much force.
    famous last words - many a fraught evening on the night before a flight has been spent trying to un-stick pedals to get the bike in the bike box!!
  • It is a myth to think that grease stops things from getting stuck. Grease reduces friction as you tighten, allowing you to tighten that little bit more. Use an anti-seize product.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I put some copper grease on pedal threads.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I use the Park Anti Seize compound which is a bit expensive but it works a treat. I can undo the pedals by hand (and I don't bother using a wrench to tighten and haven't had any problems). I learned to use the compound the hard way, as in i didn't bother with anything on my first set of pedals and it took two burly chaps and the biggest wrench in history to get the set off after just 3 months.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I wouldn't rely on a multi-tool to give enough leverage to remove / tighten pedals. You really need something at least foot-long for leverage, particularly if you're planning on using them with a track bike - a pedal coming off at high speed would probably throw you off the bike. You can pick up a pedal spanner for a tenner - you owe it to your dentist.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..