What gives in first? The Ar$e or the Brooks?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Just fittted an utterly gorgeous Brooks Swallow (fnurk) and it's like riding on a bloody hatchet. I know that the wisdom is that you have to break 'em in and then (cue Worthers Originals sepia toned footage) but bloody hell - after a thirty miler my posterior feels like I woke up floating in Mr Barrymores swimming pool!

If anyone has any tips or experience the my sweet cheeks thank you.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• By coincidence, I was looking at a Brookes Swallow online today and thinking that it looked exactly like how I remember the Brookes I had 20-odd years ago. For 6 months I waited patiently and painfully for the saddle to break in. Eventually I gave up - the saddle was doing a better job of breaking me in. I was ready to compromise - the saddle wasn't.

Because they've got such a glowing reputation, I simply put it down to the shape of my sit bones. Persevere a while but if getting on the bike begins to feel like penitence, you may have the same problem.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I've used a few Brooks saddles; one only became comfortable after I'd left the bike out in the rain and it got a good soaking and one remained as hard as a piece of wood until it got stolen so I hope that the thief had as much discomfort from it as I did.
    I current B17 was ridable from the first day. So was I "Flyer" that I bought but didn't like for other reasons.
    (If you give up on the Swallow and decide to sell it let me know.)
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SimonAH wrote:
    ...my posterior feels like I woke up floating in Mr Barrymores swimming pool!

You'd be lucky to wake up. Did the police ever find that door knob?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Bought a team pro a couple of months ago. Was pretty comfortable from the start (more so than my Charge spoon), and has been getting better as time goes.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Just fittted an utterly gorgeous Brooks Swallow (fnurk) and it's like riding on a bloody hatchet. I know that the wisdom is that you have to break 'em in and then (cue Worthers Originals sepia toned footage) but bloody hell - after a thirty miler my posterior feels like I woke up floating in Mr Barrymores swimming pool!

If anyone has any tips or experience the my sweet cheeks thank you.
    This has to be a contender for the best post of 2010 :-)

Have always been tempted into getting a Brooks but haven't had the courage for the reasons you mention. Perhaps it's a cycling rite of passage, like using clipless pedals without going horizontal at the traffic lights lol
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    My arse gave up first I'm selling my b17 narrow now. Not willing to give up on brooks entirely though, B17s and Team Pros are meant to be the stiffest, I'll give a softer one a try one day when I've got the cash.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I started using a B17 Narrow last week and found it very comfy from the off, plus it has started becoming supple and springy already, whereas it was rock hard at first.

However, I did slather the underside with two good helpings of Brooks Proofide treatment two days apart before fitting the saddle to my bike. Maybe it helped to kick off the ensupplement process.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • SimonAH
    Hmm, Just had the 'slather the underside' tip from a colleague too. What's the Brooks stuff like (I haven't got any) reckon that sort of normal dubbin would do the job too?

Have to say I've battered out a few miles and I do detect a minor easing of the granitlike surface.......or perhaps I've merely destroyed the pain receptors in my backside.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    I don't know if you know anyone who rides horses, but they might have a few tips. Also, I would imagine sweat would help soften a saddle. I'll leave it there as I don't want to speculate on other people's sweatiness, especially as regards the saddle/rider interface.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    My experience has been

1) B17 Ti (Brown) sore arse for first 50 miler. Progressively better after that. Still in use
    2) Brooks Swift. Wooden for 2,000 miles or more. Then used it on a wet Byran Chapman (600km audax in Wales), much improved. Still not as good as the B17, probably too thin for my fat arse.
    3) B17 Ti (Black) comfortable from day one

Recently got a "Body Geometry Avatar Comp" saddle with a new bike. Now that's a "arse hatchet" if you ask me
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Which just goes to show how personal saddle choice is - I love my BG Avatar. Anyone else ever ridden those semi-rigid plastic saddles that were popular on cheap bikes in the 80s?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Obviously its horses for courses, but I've never had any trouble whatsoever with Brooks saddles - I've used B-17s for years and found them reasonably comfy from the first ride, with break-in taking no more than 50-100 miles. I do use the Proofide on the bottom of the saddle before I install it and apply some on top as well, buffing it off - as per Brooks' instructions. I treat the top of the saddle several times during the first few weeks (again, as per instructions although as I say any discomfort has gone within the first 100 miles at most)

I've not used their Ti saddles, or indeed anything other than the B-17 and the sprung version (the Champion Flyer) on my expedition tourer. I think the lighter weight saddles - the Swallow etc - are pretty much meant for flyweight riders, as in probably below 11 stone. Not me.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    What's the Brooks stuff like (I haven't got any) reckon that sort of normal dubbin would do the job too?

The Brooks Proofide is just like very light-coloured, almost runny dubbin with a nicer smell to it. My dad would definitely use normal dubbin but I sprang for the official stuff since I don't have any dubbin in the house anyway. It goes a fairly long way.

I also put a little on top and buffed it off as per instructions, but I think you really need to get a good dose into the underside to start the leather softening.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Have you tried rubbing alcohol on your arse to toughen it up?
  • SimonAH
    kelsen wrote:
    Have you tried rubbing alcohol on your arse to toughen it up?

Absolutely, but the Weatherspoons barred me for it, and it's the only place in town I can afford the tequila after paying for the Brooks......

• SimonAH
    Shortage of dubbin in this house (thought I had some) so I've given it olive oil on the underside. (extra virgin of course)

Sucked it up! Leather feeling imperceptibly more flexible.

I'll update on the progress once a couple more miles hammered into it - I'm optimistic though.

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    SimonAH wrote:
    Shortage of dubbin in this house (thought I had some) so I've given it olive oil on the underside. (extra virgin of course)

Sucked it up! Leather feeling imperceptibly more flexible.

I'll update on the progress once a couple more miles hammered into it - I'm optimistic though.
    Don't use dubbin or olive oil, they soften the leather too much so it loses it's resilience. The saddle will turn into a arse-hammock. Proofhide is the stuff.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Like a few others on here, I got a B17 and have not had an uncomfortable ride yet My boyfriend bought a different model Brooks and after one ride he was walking like John Wayne after a night with Mr Big in San Quentin :o)

A shop owner mentioned that you can use the stuff they use to proof horse saddles on your Brooks, not tried it yet but it is better value for money
  • My arse gave in first.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I had a B17 - felt like riding a log even after repeated treatment - gave up and sold it - switched to a retro style Selle Italia Turbo - most comfotable saddle ever
  • SimonAH
    Ladies and gentlemen, the victor, in the blue corner, wearing the slightly threadbare Fat Face denim is the Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar$e!!!!!!

Oh yes, it was a battle (and one I thought seriously about giving up on) but those walnut cracking buns of steel currently serving the office of holding me legs to me torso have spanked Mr Brooks into armchair comfiness in about 200 miles.

No more John Wayne gait for me my friends, I shall strut like a peacock henceforth.

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol::lol:

Well done!
  • good on you, your buttocks will love you forevermore
  • SimonAH wrote:
    comfiness in about 200 miles.

Mine has become springy and supple after about 130 miles. Must be the Proofide that made the difference.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10