Tubs vs Clincher

StrangelyBrown
StrangelyBrown Posts: 232
edited December 2010 in Track
Ok, tubs vs clincher for indoor track use.

Would be for indoor only, mainly for training sessions with possibly the occasional race thrown in. Have only used clincher until now, but a new wheelset beckons and I could go either way.

What's the thoughts here?
It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I'd go with tubs for the simple reason that you are less likely to lose control when you puncture compared to clinchers.
  • Thanks for that. The safety angle aside, what are others experiences of real difference in performance, grip, feel etc.

There seems to be a bit of tyre knowledge kicking about on here - no one fancy chucking a few pearls of wisdom my way?
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Thanks for that. The safety angle aside, what are others experiences of real difference in performance, grip, feel etc.

There seems to be a bit of tyre knowledge kicking about on here - no one fancy chucking a few pearls of wisdom my way?
    Clinchers:
    I have used Veloflex Record clinchers – these are pretty good but work better with lighter riders.

My current favourites are still the Vittoria Diamente Pro Lights – fabulous feel and grip on the boards - nearly as good as tubs. I use these on my training wheels and they have even been pressed in to service for warm up at major meetings when one of my disc wheels broke.

Some people still swear by Conti Supesonics - I have no experience with these.

All of these clinchers work well inside but I’m not sure I’d want to use them for racing for the reasons Bronzie mention.

Tubs:
    It has to be Vittoria Pista Evo CS all the way for indoor use but they are bit delicate for outdoor tracks. Sublime grip and feel but they’re probably too good for training wheels and should be saved for your best racing wheels.

I have another disc on the way with a Dugast tub fitted – that will definitely be my best race wheel! I have ridden on Dugast tubs. I thought they felt great - grip, feel and confidence inspiring - but received wisdom is that they used to be even better!

You might have read in other threads here, Conti tempos just don’t work for me indoors (no grip, no confidence) so I have them on my outdoor race wheels. They might work for you.

If you’re looking for a training tub it’s worth considering Conti Sprinters (I was leant a wheel with one fitted and was surprised by it) or the Vittoria Pista CS (the non Evo version). Everybody has different experiences and different stories.

Hope this helps for starters.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Sorry to butt in on this thread - I'm getting a second hand track bike in a month or two that has tubs. I've never used tubs on the road mainly due to the hassle of changing them in a puncture but also because of concerns on rolling them in races. Obviously the puncture risk is much lower on the track but what do you recommend glue wise for sticking track tubs on as I would have thought the stresses to cause rolling are greater on the track.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Either Vittoria Mastic One or Conti tub glue work fine for track bikes. I use the Vittoria stuff just because it's nicer to work with.

It's more about following a good process for gluing tubs rather then what you use. I won't say a properly glued tub will never roll as you can't legislate for things like the backing tape coming off, for example. It’s the rare extreme incident/manoeuvre that might take off a properly glued tub.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Thanks for the replies. All useful stuff.
  • d87
    d87 Posts: 3
    I think for training decent clinchers are fine. also means that you can use the same wheelset for training outdoors too. e.g. have carbon disc and trispoke with tubs for races and something like shamals with clinchers as you fixed wheelset.

(I appreciate the difficulty in finding clincher shamals...)
  • +1 for the Diamente Pro Lights.

I followed Eddie's advice and put some on my bike. Even out of the box they feel sticky, once sanded and run in for a few laps they are absolutely rock steady. My bike has more grip on the banking than it did on the straights previously!
  • Ok, next question.

Has anyone used Tufo S3 Pro Tubular Clinchers? On paper they look like a good option, and being able to run them at such high pressure with no issues for the rim is very appealing.
  • Ended up going for a pair of Tufo S3 Pro Tubular Clichers. Taking them for a first try out at this Friday's vet drop in at Newport. Very interested to see how they ride, especially with nice high pressures in. Will post up my impressions.

And yes, I have prepped them :)
  • Ended up going for a pair of Tufo S3 Pro Tubular Clichers. Taking them for a first try out at this Friday's vet drop in at Newport. Very interested to see how they ride, especially with nice high pressures in. Will post up my impressions.

And yes, I have prepped them :)

were you there last week?
  • Nope - tonight was the start of my 'season'. Will be aiming to be fairly regular for the rest of winter. It was nice to get back on the boards.

Tyres were good. Ran them at 160psi with no probs at all, nice and grippy, stayed on the rims and the bike stayed on the track, which is always good. I think I might be liking tubular clinchers.