Cheap biking holidays in 2011?

neil_uk
neil_uk Posts: 289
edited October 2010 in MTB general
I've been mountain biking for a few years now - but have yet to ride any foreign trails! Problem is...... cash is a little tight (the past couple of years have been expensive).

Is it possible to ride abroad on some 'rain free' trails for 200 - 300 quid... or is this completely unrealistic? as most holidays I have come across all seem to be 600-800 :cry:

Any pointers on how to do this on the cheap and still have a good time would be really appreciated

Cheers
Neil

Comments

• Book a cheap flight early, then rent an apartment in somewhere like Morzine. Flights, lift pass and apartment rent (between 2 or 3) could easily be done for £300.

I think we're pretty reasonable, starting from about £400 for a week, guided and catered, but you're still looking at £600+ with flights and passes.
    Mountain bike holidays in the French Alps - www.whiteroomchalet.com
  • You could try Basque northern spain, loads of trails (no lifts, we´re talking ridgelines and coast) amazing food and reasonable accomadation. Just grab a backpack, a gps and you´ll be golden.

There´s a Scottish guy that runs a decent club aswell if you´re lazy, BasqueMTB, it on the interwebs.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Assuming you are looking at doing this with a bunch of buddies then here is what we used to do to get a summer holiday on the cheap:

Book flights early - use someone like BA for preference as they generally allow you to fly with your bike with out wanting to rape you for having the audacity to turn up at the airport with a big bag. Aim for somewhere like Morzine as it has plentiful summer riding and lots of transfer co's etc.

Book an apartment through the local tourist info - there are a dearth of places to rent and not enough tourists so it is cheap (or at least it used to be havent done it this way for a few years) - go on http://www.resa-morzine.com/ and type in your search criteria and pick a few places, hit book on one in a nice central ish location and you can pay by bank transfer to the tourist office - as a guide the first year I went out (2003) we paid under £100 for an apartment - exchange rates have worsened since but in 2004 and 5 we came in under 30 quid each for our places. Since then I have stayed at a mates place out there so I am unsure of current prices.

Book with a good transfer co - my mate runs action transfers (http://actiontransfers.com/) if you tell him Small Paul recommended him to you he may do you a small discount. But there are others available.

Lift ticket is pretty reasonable for a week, grab a trail map or the Bike Fax book (http://www.bike-fax.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=30) and the local map and youa re away.

Cheap holiday planned - beer and food to be added and repairs. Weather not guaranteed. Especially in August. I'd go early July for best possible chance of a sunny week!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • neil_uk
    neil_uk Posts: 289
    Cheers guys for all the advice!!!

Defo going on holiday next year

Neil :D