What Bolle safety specs?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Fed up with scratching more expensive specs. In the mood for economy specs and seems a lot of people are happy with Bolle safety specs so looking at them at the moment.

There are lots of options though. Any recommendations? After something that wraps around reasonably well and is going to keep the crud out of my eyes (I wear contacts and have had too many incidents of crud and dead flies getting in there and infecting or irritating my eyes!). But not too much like I'm taking a chemistry lesson :D

Ideally want the option of shades, clear and the low light orange stuff. Currently got D'Arcs with interchangeable lenses. They're fine, but they scratch easily and if I'm going to scratch glasses I may as well get cheap almost disposable ones.

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like the BL10s for dark and clear, they look good IMO and they're cheap. Can't speak for light tint though, I had a set of Contour ESPs I think they were and I didn't like them at all but Pete's got those now and he likes 'em, I just don't like light tints.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I used the Bolle Trakker ones as they have air vents and a strap to go round the back of your head but sent 2 pairs back as the dark tint is a film ontop of a clear lens which peeled off... so AVOID the TRAKKER model.
    It`s changed a bit since...
    2010 Zesty 314
  • ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    I've got two pairs of Contours, one dark and one clear. Bought them on ebay for less than £10 each, delivered. Love them. Bought these as they are plastic frames, as I don't want metal going through my face when I crash.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I did indeed like them Northwind but I now use Bolle Contours (clear) and Bolle Spider (flash lens) and love them way more. Cost 7 quid each so I don't mind if they get lost or wrecked but they are very comfortable and have good quality lenses with good anti-fog
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I got the super duper fancy Metal Contour ESP ones, at £12. I think all the fancy coatings are stuck on, but mine haven't started peeling off yet.

Cooldad also got a pair but killed them at Afan before he even wore them :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    +1 for the plastic contours. I bought some for my wife and bought plastic for safety reasons as said above. Ebay shop was workwear warehouse. £7.15 delivered and arrived next day.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    I have the Spider "disposable" Bolle safety glasses. They're a little less wraparound than the other ones but that's why I bought them. The visibility is not really affected and they look less TdF...
    What amazes me is that I can't break them however hard I try.

I can't understand people who spend £150 on cycling glasses.
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    i have some spider ESP. They look silly on my and the tint makes everything look miserable. And the wind gets under them when you go over about 35 mph.
  • Got to be the bolle ESP contours as already advised above. In fact I wore mine today :) can't be beaten on price - got mine for £6 on eBay
  • esp contours(free work issue) :o
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cheers all. Sounds like Contour and/or Spider then.

Really are a billy bargain. Might buy a few to keep me going :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I had a pair in my bag last weekend (my special scratched Afan ones). If we are out this weekend you could try them on. Contour.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • OK so I was sceptical about the Bolle Contour Safety glasses so I bought a clear and tinted pair. Well, I received them today and given that it is a bit overcast in Southern France I wore the clear ones on a two hour XC ride in the Alps Maritimes. These glasses are fantastically good, particularly the fit and the anti-fog capabilities. Yep, my Oakleys are not as good and I will never spend another penny on high end MTB glasses. Oh, about 15 UK Pounds for BOTH pairs delivered to France. Ridiculous bargain.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I prefer the Bolle Axis... you can adjust the angle of the arms.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    +1 for Bolle Spider's i had a 4x4 run over a pair and they were in some nick,they bent back into shape and done me the ride whit no problems.i imagine oakleys would have just shattered into bits,along with my heart at they prices... :D
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    +1 for Contours. Amazing value for money, got mine from Amazon for about £6 +£2.50 postage I think.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • I have bolle contours and highly rate them too. About £6 delivered from ebay last summer and did a good job through winter.

A few months ago someone started a thread asking for some good clear riding glasses. When i suggested bolle specs i got flamed because they were cheap, so im glad they are being recognised now!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    BL10s- possibly the reason I have 2 eyes :mrgreen:

310441_10151077390187815_1661744582_n.jpg
    Uncompromising extremist