carron valley

miken123
miken123 Posts: 16
edited October 2010 in Routes
Hi ,anyone on here ridden at Carron Valley near Falkirk and what it`s like?

Cheers

Comments

• Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    I was leaving the house for Carron Valley just as you were posting this.

First time I've been , being a relative newcomer to the sport. Enjoyed the morning out with my pal although more experienced riders find it a bit too short I believe.

I managed to fall off and skin my knee on a left hand berm. I was too low and the front wheel washed out on some loose stuff.

As it's close to the central belt it gets a lot of visitors from Greater Glasgow area.

There's lots of info scattered around the internet. Do a search and you'll find reviews and videos.
  • K10Daz
    K10Daz Posts: 17
    Me and a few others are of to Carron Valley today too!
    My other ride is your Mum!
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    been up a few times and its great fun.granted its not as hard as glentress and the bigger trails but still excellant fun and the runway is a blast,im heading up tomorow,hope you enjoy it
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    The uphill singletrack isn't too bad, the fire road boring (aren't they all).The signage is not great.
    Less than 30 seconds of enjoyable downhill trail from the top on the first run.
    Maybe a bit more on the next bit.
    The Runway is fun though and ok for beginners and beyond to practice their technique.
    I found it very disappointing though someone at work I know goes every week
    Don't imagine that this is anything like a "proper" trail centre.
  • K10Daz
    K10Daz Posts: 17
    We were intrigued by the "free ride" sign to follow the path to land in, what my brother described as muddy porridge. The signs are quite poor. I enjoy going there as I'm just a beginner and getting fitter doing the climbs. Been to Glentress an felt like I was slowing guys down a lot where as carron valley it's not that busy so can take them at a pace I'm comfy with.
    My other ride is your Mum!
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    i was up there on sunday for a few hours and had fun,as it looks its not everyones cup of tea but still good fun.its not lentress by any means but still enough to get you fit enough and get your tech right,the runway is good fun.i was talking to 2 guys who went down the side of the runway coz they thought it was a freeride but its the start of an un-finished push up.until they open something closer to me it'll do for me the now,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I liked it, sure there's a bit of a lack of actual quality trail (and oh my word is there a story behind that) but some of what's there is very nice. The runway's good fun for the jumpers and has a superb surface and good sightlines- it was Pete Laing rebuilt it I think- so you can have a fair old charge at it. Plus tabletops > doubles. And the first outbound section and the later part of the singletrack return are good. Have to say the furthest out bit, with Kelpie's Staircase on it, was a waste of time IMO, lots of dead trail, an occasional little step but not very much going on at all, so I just did it once and did laps of the rest of.
    Uncompromising extremist