So... I eventually did Cwmcarn!

Where are my stabilisers?
edited October 2010 in Routes
I probably shouldn't identify myself for being the super slow girl riding Cwmcarn on Tuesday :oops: , but I'd just like to say how much I enjoyed it!

I found the up's well hard, but the down's were defo worth the effort :D . I was overtaken by about 10 people, who could easily have lapped me several times, but I didn't care - I was having fun! Everyone was really friendly and chatty and I was really impressed by the skills and pace of the people I met.

I did have one moment of glory when I overtook a guy... Ok, yes, he did have a puncture and yes, he did get passed me again, but it was fun while it lasted :wink:

So anyway, hello to the people who were there, I'll be back soon and I'm also gonna have a go on that uplift thing and try the DH :twisted:

Comments

• Nice one :)

I really like CwmCarn... It's a brilliant trail. Gets all the crappy climbing out the way straight away and the rest is just brilliant.
    The climbing isn't even that difficult! Just sit and grind through and your suddenly at the top!

Plus it's only 20mins from my flat :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's good there isn't it :D

And the DH is another level entirely, though don't be put off by the DH category. It's mostly rollable if you want to and take the right lines (just watch out for the bits that branch off to the black sections). One big drop though to watch out for near the bottom. Can't miss it really. The experts will fly off it and the rest of us stand there looking at it. The chicken run isn't much better. Ended up walking down it myself, which wasn't easy!
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    But now chicken run at that drop off is changed, so would say all techy bits are rollable. If you can ride down any public stairs on streets you will find Cwmcarn DH tame.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    Ah, didn't know it had been changed. What have they changed?
  • popstar
    Routine maintenance at improving trails. That DH drop off the road chicken run is changed now, sunday warriors would be delighted as well as improved berms in places for uber speed flow.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Wish I lived 20 mins away!

Can't wait to go back now, I've looked at some videos of the DH and think I can muddle my way down - As long as I don't think about it too much, I should make it to the bottom ok :D

Once I start thinking that something might be difficult, I usually make a right royal mess of it :shock:
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i've never ridden the downhill track at cwmcarn because it's called the 'downhill track' it sorts of puts me in the frame of mind that i need 8" travel and a full face and pads etc. (i know you don't)

even though i've ridden stuff probably just as big and steep on an xc bike and not thought twice about it :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, you don't need an 8" travel full sus at Cwmcarn. Most is rollable though a full sus is still recommended.

I'd recommend the full face and pads though. It's not that suicidal but a lot of rocks and flint which could cut you up a fair bit if you tumble. Then again when I went there I managed okay on the DH but did a face plant on the freeride bit off the XC trail.
  • welshkev
    deadkenny wrote:
    Yeah, you don't need an 8" travel full sus at Cwmcarn. Most is rollable though a full sus is still recommended.

I'd recommend the full face and pads though. It's not that suicidal but a lot of rocks and flint which could cut you up a fair bit if you tumble. Then again when I went there I managed okay on the DH but did a face plant on the freeride bit off the XC trail.

ha ha, always the same, come off when you're least expecting it :D

i've ridden mynydd maen mountain for years before the trail centre was at cwmcarn and the locals just used to make tracks. i've seen the videos and know i've ridden steeper and bigger stuff. there's more difficult DH tracks on that mountain made by the locals that i've ridden by accident (they strted off as nice singletrack and got steep and gnarly very quickly!!!!) didn't it silversladey? :lol:

like i said, it's just the frame of mind it puts me in withe DH tag i think
  • You set me up, started off as a nice technical piece of singletrack then quickly turned into a near vertical loose gravelly descent ( which you rode ) however we both passed on the 12 foot drop off at the end :):):)

Rode whites yesterday amazing the black route is just on the very limit of my ability awesome
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Cwm Carn sounds great - haven't been there, but will be travelling to the Gower from Scotland next May (via M6, Severn Bridge, Swansea...), and hope to take in a trail en route. I ride a hard tail (with 100mm travel on front) and love the red runs at Glen Tress and Laggan WolfTrax, so would you recommend I stop off at Cwm Carn? (Or Afan...?) Appropriate riding for my bike/style?

cheers,
    Lucy
  • Take your pick out of three great Red routes

The Wall at Afan - easy forest road climb with some brilliant singletrack descent

Whites Level at Glyncorrwg -Great rideable singletrack climb with brilliant descents, also a bit of Northshore and a great wooded section Energy

Cwmcarn- Really hard climb but an amazing descent from the highest point to the car park in about 10 minutes :shock:

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/C ... mcarn.aspx

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/C ... _Wall.aspx

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/C ... Level.aspx
  • Anonymous
    If you don't want to do the DH at Cwm, I'd go for Whites at Glyncorrwg (next to Afan).
  • popstar
    Descent at Cwmcarn aka Twrch trail is very good. Climb there is techy hard.

Afan forest got 2 trail centers. I like Glyncowrg more, for Whites level and Skyline. Proper XC swoopy trails, and not as hard climbing wise.

Those red trails either at Cwmcarn or Afan are more fun than Laggan Wolftrax red, but nowhere near as good as Laggan's Black IMO. I didn't ride upper section Red in Laggan so can't comment on that, but Black there is stunning.

If you preffer kind of trails as Laggan's orange, then Cwmcarn DH trail is your cake.

• lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Great info, thanks - spoilt for choice!!!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Should have said before, I had all week off this week :p

Would have ridden Tuesday too if I'd known hehe
  • welshkev
    You set me up, started off as a nice technical piece of singletrack then quickly turned into a near vertical loose gravelly descent ( which you rode ) however we both passed on the 12 foot drop off at the end :):):)

Rode whites yesterday amazing the black route is just on the very limit of my ability awesome

i didn't set you up mate, i was crapping myself all the way down :lol:

i wish i could ride in the week more, hopefully will be able to soon though, i have something in the pipeline :wink::D
  • Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me where the DH track at cwmcarn starts from! Is it possible to ride up the XC route and ride it - I've ridden twrch trail numerous times but never figured it out!

Thaanks
  • He He, I tried the uplift and did a few downhill runs, very good fun I must say! I'll be going back again, it was quite hard in places, but you can avoid it, so it's cool! :D
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    Do you think any of the trails there would be do-able on a cyclo cross bike?
  • oxoneil wrote:

piece of string!

a cycle cross bike isn't dissimilar to the rigid MTB's I grew up riding around the Brecon Beacons and the old workings.

with narrower tyres and no suspension you will get kicked about on rocky sections. plus on sustained descents your forearms will ache from the braking.

I'd be surprised if it was impossible but you'll have to do a lot more.
  • welshkev
    neon_neon wrote:
    Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me where the DH track at cwmcarn starts from! Is it possible to ride up the XC route and ride it - I've ridden twrch trail numerous times but never figured it out!

Thaanks

when you reach the top of the twrch climb you go down either the freeride section or airstream xc, you then go through the singletrack bits until you hit that really short, steep concrete ramp thing. get on the road at the top of the ramp to the right and go up the road climb, the start of the track is up there.
  • Anyone going Sunday morning?
    I'll be there on the meta about 10am :)
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    oxoneil wrote:

piece of string!

a cycle cross bike isn't dissimilar to the rigid MTB's I grew up riding around the Brecon Beacons and the old workings.

with narrower tyres and no suspension you will get kicked about on rocky sections. plus on sustained descents your forearms will ache from the braking.

I'd be surprised if it was impossible but you'll have to do a lot more.

Tyres shouldn't be a problem cos 35s will go the rims but I agree about the braking. I've done some rides on the Ridgeway and on some descents the braking does get quite painful.

Looking at some videos on You Tube I reckon it might be OK.
  • welshkev
    Anyone going Sunday morning?

i wish i could've been there. how was it? the weather was great today :D it was my first day off in 3 weeks and i spent it with the gf and little boy. i'm probably working next weekend aswell so it looks like commuting will be the only riding i do for a while :(
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Has anyone hear ridden the Twrch @ Cwmcarn and the Quercus (blue) trail @ Whinlatter? Took the girlf on the Quercus for her first taste of proper MTBing and she mostly loved it; now looking for something closer to home but don't really want to try anything more techy than the Quercus just yet. Having seen the "Best bits of the Twrch" on Youtube it looks like a reasonably simple and rollable trail and no more difficult than the Twrch. Anyone able to confirm whether this is correct?
    Rules are for fools.
  • Done both... The Twrch trail is a lot more technical climbing but everything on the downs can be rolled or taken slowly.
    Saw a lad probably about 6 on the Twrch with his mum and dad today :)
  • welshkev wrote:
    Anyone going Sunday morning?

i wish i could've been there. how was it? the weather was great today :D it was my first day off in 3 weeks and i spent it with the gf and little boy. i'm probably working next weekend aswell so it looks like commuting will be the only riding i do for a while :(

Pretty much perfect tbh!
    Wet, loads of grip and fast! Got the new bike muddy though :(
    But... I'm never riding a Sunday again. It was proper proper busy. Each Saturday i've been it's been dead..... Feels like you have the trails to yourself!

Still need to organise that ride at Cwm! I need to sort my climbing out though so I don't embarras myself though haha!
    I want to try the DH too... Going back home in a few weeks so I'm gonna get my full face an body armour!
  • welshkev
    i'm jealous, i haven't ridden cwm in nearly 2 months!!!! i know i might start an argument here, but isn't it so much more fun to fide on a full suss :D
  • IMO Cwmcarn rides much better on a Full Suss, I'm not saying it is neccessarily quicker, but due to the rocks and the routes it is much more enjoyable (and you can stiil feel your arms at the bottom.) :lol::lol: