Compensation offer... (First off. 4x4s sting like a ...)

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
First off this morning with a 4x4.

Going along Tooley Street up toward London Bridge. Stationary traffic, I was pootling along the left side of traffic. Lights were green for me. Came up to the hatched bit on the link below and a car coming the other direction decided to make the turning at the moment where I was crossing it. Grabbed the brakes but he was still moving so hit the front of the car, went off/over, landed on my right side as my bike landed (and stayed) upside down on the pavement.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 3,,0,24.67

A few people heard it and saw me landing but no witnesses. Thanks to the owner/manager of 'On Your Bike' who stopped to check I was alright, helped the bike into the workshop (handy that, crashing outside a bike shop) and grabbed me a drink while the adrenaline subsided.

Damage?
Bike doesn't look trashed, hopefully just handlebars need straightening. Didn't really inspect it much given I could just leave it at the workshop and ask them to do a check. How do carbon frames stand up to Chelsea tractors?

Me? Bit sore, will have some impressive bruising on my side (pic to follow when my phone decides to work).

Ow
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    You sure it wasn't the manager of On Your Bike who hit you? Nice way to drum up a bit of business on the way to work ;)

Hope you heal quickly.

You didn't make it clear, but having watched you bounce off their bumper, did the driver then just continue on their way?
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Glad youre ok and it wasnt worse. Hopefully the bike wont need much doing to it.
    You dont mention the driver? did they stop, offer to pay damages? did you get their details etc?
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • Ouch, that sounds painful :cry:

Did the 4x4 driver stop?
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Sorry to hear that mate, hope you are ok. All in all not such a good morning for us SE Londeners.

Two of us offer to be cycle buddies and two of us have offs the very next day (ok mine was my own fault) but where's the karma in that?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • dhope
    He did stop and swapped details. Seemed like a perfectly normal bloke, he wasn't arsey about it and was concerned I was alright.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    hate that bit of road. when you're on the left, you're always hidden to the other side of the traffic. even though there's bike lane all the way along, cars just pull out on you without a second thought. if you go on the right, you're shoved into the opposite lane as it's so tight. if the traffic is stationary i always slow to a crawl after having a near miss there myself. hope the bike's ok.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Sorry to hear that mate, hope you are ok. All in all not such a good morning for us SE Londeners.

Two of us offer to be cycle buddies and two of us have offs the very next day (ok mine was my own fault) but where's the karma in that?

I think you're all conspiring to put me off cycling with you now I've been on the forum for a couple of days :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yep I know that exact spot. I've almost been taken out there before and now always slow when I get to hatched areas like that as more often than not you'll get someone turning across the hatched area. They usually turni at speed as the way is open and they want to get across before the traffic starts moving again.

It's the same with any turning on your left when you're filtering along a queue of traffic, it only takes one car to flash one coming the other way wanting to make a turn right and you get taken out....

Hope you and the bike recover...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • dhope
    Yep I know that exact spot. I've almost been taken out there before and now always slow when I get to hatched areas like that as more often than not you'll get someone turning across the hatched area. They usually turni at speed as the way is open and they want to get across before the traffic starts moving again.

It's the same with any turning on your left when you're filtering along a queue of traffic, it only takes one car to flash one coming the other way wanting to make a turn right and you get taken out....

Hope you and the bike recover...

Yep, I'm always wary on that bit - as you say, just needs one car to flash someone across and they try to nip across. Guess I wasn't wary enough today, or they were extra eager...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Urgh unlucky chap!

That bit of road is annoying.

It's always seems nice 'n quiet before that stretch, then you get a quick build up of traffic and peds and all sorts.

I used to filter up the middle along this stretch as there's been so many times when the cycle lane is blocked, or when you have to deal with left-turning traffic at the top.

Having said that I've cut back on filtering up the middle as it's a left-hand bend so vis is poor.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    dhope wrote:
    Damage?
    Bike doesn't look trashed, hopefully just handlebars need straightening. Didn't really inspect it much given I could just leave it at the workshop and ask them to do a check. How do carbon frames stand up to Chelsea tractors?
    /quote]

Clean the frame, forks and seat post and check for any cracks. I'd also take the steerer out of the head tube to see if that has sustained any damage. Perhaps get OYB or your LBS to do this.

Glad to hear it's not worse.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hmm - I had to remove the bumper from our chelsea tractor (Merc ML) the other day (front parking sensors playing up!). Revealed the hugest damn girder underneath the plastic exterior mouldings..........

Hope you are okay dude.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    hope your ok and as cjcp said give bike realy good check over
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I hate that bit of road, I had my off before getting to that spot, preople jsut don't seem to look on that bit of road, I was almost taken out by a crazy taxi driver doing a u turn without looking. Ohh and at night being shouted and sworn at by a taxi driver who had parked in the asl and didn't like it when I looked across at him innocently, apparantly I am "one of those"
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Ohh and astras hurt a bit too especially if you hit them with your sternum, took nearly 5 weeks till I could get on the bike or lift anything without pain or a little scream/yelp
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Ouch! :shock: Hope you feel better soon.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Headhuunter
    Paul E wrote:
    I hate that bit of road, I had my off before getting to that spot, preople jsut don't seem to look on that bit of road, I was almost taken out by a crazy taxi driver doing a u turn without looking. Ohh and at night being shouted and sworn at by a taxi driver who had parked in the asl and didn't like it when I looked across at him innocently, apparantly I am "one of those"

I've had probs with taxi drivers swinging U turns all of a sudden there, not sure specifically why there but it seems to be a favourite spot for them suddenly to swing across the road...
  • there's a taxi rank on the left as you head up Tooley St towards LB...loads of taxi's come down Tooley St then do a U-turn to get into the rank, or just head back to to LB station to get a fair.
  • Headhuunter
    there's a taxi rank on the left as you head up Tooley St towards LB...loads of taxi's come down Tooley St then do a U-turn to get into the rank, or just head back to to LB station to get a fair.

Ah that's true....
  • dhope
    edited October 2010
    Got in touch with his insurers. Told the truth

Bike appears to be okay, bike shop cannot guarantee that there's no damage to carbon components.
    I'm basically okay, head, neck, back, limbs good. Impressive bruising, some tendinitis and discomfort but not enough to stop me working. Normal cycling/gym routine not possible which is an annoyance. Would want to get a new helmet, and some damaged clothing.

My bike is 5 months old. They offered £900 for possible damage, on the assumption that I could sell any components to make up the difference to the £1200 that it would cost me to buy it new.
    They also offered £1700 for clothes, helmet, travel, injury/inconvenience.

So total £2600. I'm inclined to accept and count myself fortunate that the collision wasn't more serious.

And no, this isn't an invite for you to spec me up a £2600 road bike. Though it is tempting :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:
    Got in touch with his insurers. Told the truth

Bike appears to be okay, bike shop cannot guarantee that there's no damage to carbon components.
    I'm basically okay, head, neck, back, limbs good. Impressive bruising, some tendinitis and discomfort but not enough to stop me working. Normal cycling/gym routine not possible which is an annoyance. Would want to get a new helmet, and some damaged clothing.

My bike is 5 months old. They offered £900 for possible damage, on the assumption that I could sell any components to make up the difference to the £1200 that it would cost me to buy it new.
    They also offered £1700 for clothes, helmet, travel, injury/inconvenience.

So total £2600. I'm inclined to accept and could myself fortunate that the collision wasn't more serious.

And no, this isn't an invite for you to spec me up a £2600 road bike. Though it is tempting :D

That sounds pretty generous. I got £5300 compensation and about £800 for new bike and kit etc which was destroyed in my crash. Mine was a lot worse than yours too by the sounds of it. Was taken to hospital for X rays, tests etc, had stitches in my leg (which got infected) and still have issues with my left hip. It took me almost a year to get the money (only just ending now) even though the driver admitted liability soon after the crash. I would take it, I don't think you'd get much more if you employed a solicitor to chase them...
  • dhope
    That sounds pretty generous. I got £5300 compensation and about £800 for new bike and kit etc which was destroyed in my crash. Mine was a lot worse than yours too by the sounds of it. Was taken to hospital for X rays, tests etc, had stitches in my leg (which got infected) and still have issues with my left hip. It took me almost a year to get the money (only just ending now) even though the driver admitted liability soon after the crash. I would take it, I don't think you'd get much more if you employed a solicitor to chase them...

My thinking too. Plenty of people with plenty worse crashes and I could never complain about compensation culture or ambulance chasers if I started employing solicitors when it all seems perfectly reasonable.

Dr-Nick-Simpsons.png
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    Impressive bruising, some tendinitis and discomfort but not enough to stop me working.

Not sure how you'd have tendonitis from a crash...

I guess the only thing is to be a 100% sure you're not going to suffer any long-term effects before you settle. Might be worth delaying your decision for a few days just to be sure.

(Tell the insurance company your 'Uncle' is a personal injury lawyer and you want to check with him before you sign anything... you might even get that missing £300.)
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    I dunno. If they're offering £2600 as a first go, surely they think it's really worth £5000?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Mate, It's tempting to try and screw the system for every penny you can. Walk around in a neck brace, claim dizzy spells and an inability to concentrate, claim that your performance at work is down to 60% of pre-crash and therefore likely to affect your salary for the rest of your life to that level, claim trauma and stress....etc..

But I wouldn't put out your crotch if it was on fire if you did that.

Shit happens, and if the offer is reasonable just take it and say thanks.

a) You'll most likely get paid off immediately rather than a year down the line.
    b) You'll be able to live with yourself and most importantly;
    c) You won't be contributing to the bloody horrible position we are in these days.

My father in law went from healthy active man (70s) to knocking on the D door in the space of 18 months following a leg smashing accident caused by tripping over an undeniably dangerous manhole cover. Because of the number of fraudulent and 'pushing it to the hilt' claims over the last decade (thanks Blair) the barriers have been set so high that he won't receive a penny. We as a nation need a change in attitude.

If however the offered sum is not enough to fix the damage and cover any loss of earnings and other reasonable costs then by all means give them a reasoned argument as to why it should be higher. That is fair.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    I wouldn't get a lawyer. I'd probably call them back and say "I'll take £4,000", and then accept whatever their counter-offer is.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SamWise72 wrote:
    I wouldn't get a lawyer. I'd probably call them back and say "I'll take £4,000", and then accept whatever their counter-offer is.

My counter offer would be 'see you in court'. It isn't necessary to be greedy; the offer seems fair and generous and designed to let everyone get on with their lives.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • see you in court - hmm

When I was offered compo if it went to court and if I was awarded less than the original offer I think I would have been liable for fees iirc.

£2.6k is pretty good and if you arent worried about long term problems worth taking them up and getting a new bike sorted asap.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    You don't only have price to negotiate on. You can negotiate on settlement date as well. If you decide to accept the first offer, I would suggest making it clear that you are incurring daily expenses so you acceptance of the offer has to take this into account and is based on settlement before I specific date. Simply put £2,600 next week is worth more to you than £ 2,600 in 6 months time.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5