Pedal Monorail System Under Construction

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Saw this and I thought of you...

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/shweeb-pedal-monorail-personal-mass-transit,news-8327.html

It goes about the speed of walking for slightly less effort.

I'm sold :D

Edit : Here's the pic shweeb-pedal-monorail-personal-mass-transit,H-S-265024-13.jpg

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    That's an awesome idea, should be able to go faster than walking though? Maybe some way of sharing the power input so people don't catch up.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Could just walk? Perhaps break into a trot every now and then?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    ....Or just cycle there on a normal bike! Looks like those little pods would get VERY hot, they look like little greenhouses!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Imagine having to use one after someone who had beans for dinner the night before as well. no ta...
    Hat + Beard
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    edited October 2010
    If cycling in an enclosed pod sounds hot and tiring, the Shweeb FAQ address all potential issues. Each unit features ventilation holes for air-cooling and a reflective roof to keep the sun out. Shweeb’s developers promise that propelling each pod requires less effort than “walking at an average pace”. For hills, an electric motor will kick in for assistance.

Pods can also push each other and form “pelotons”, where minimal effort is required from each “cyclist” to keep the entire group moving (the FAQ remains mum on the inevitable freeloaders who’ll just relax and take advantage of people behind them). Each pod has front and rear buffer zones that prevent deadly collisions.

The Shweeb Monorail system is undergoing tests as of this writing. Of great help is the $1 million investment the developers received from Google last September. They will announce the location of the first major mass transit implementation soon.

Doomed to failure. Massive investment for minimal benefit. Spend the money on improving cycle infrastructure instead.

And the line on "mass transit" made me laugh. They are individual pods, ok you can join to form a peleton but its hardly mass!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    If you can't overtake its doomed. I neeeeed to be able to SCR with it.