Help needed

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
I have no enthusiasm to get back on my bike.

None whatsoever.

Can you say anything to encourage me please?
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• MTFU.
    did that help?

doesn't PT drag you down? the thought of taking the train/tube this morning crossed my mind (I am soooo tired) but then I remembered the pain of PT.
  • linsen
    MTFU.
    did that help?

doesn't PT drag you down? the thought of taking the train/tube this morning crossed my mind (I am soooo tired) but then I remembered the pain of PT.

PT What is that?
    My commute takes me 20 mins in a car, 50 mins on a bike......
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Cycling puts you in a good mood. A smile on your face, helps develop your vocabulary if/when some idiot left hooks you etc.

You get great legs/arse as a benefit. Improved cardio system thereby greater shouting ability (you work in a school, right?) :wink:
  • if you work in a school think of the good example you'll be setting to your students. the sense of pride and achievement.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    ...... and if they are little devils on the odd occasion you can ride ninja style and run them over :twisted:

You'd need a spare, nondescript bike for that though........ :wink:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    It'll do your body good. Give you time to think (if you want to). As cyclopsbiker notes, sets a good example to the kids & their parents. An excuse/reason to eat more...the list goes on and on.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Feck it, take the car you wimp. The average toughness of Britains cyclists will increase by a small but measurable amount by your removal from the wheelpool.

:wink:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Are you allowed back on the bike then? Is the back fully healed?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • linsen
    Are you allowed back on the bike then? Is the back fully healed?

Not quite fully healed nor ever will be, as I have two fractures in L5 and a spinal fusion anticipated within ten years. For now, though, a little gentle cycling is allowed.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Stay off it. It's meant to be fun; if it isn't don't bother. Worked for me last year.

Eventually I just fancied a ride so went out and did a 20 miler or whatever, it all came back how good it is to be out on the bike and I haven't looked back since.

Or buy a ludicrous piece of carbon bling and ride that. That works as well.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Good weather's gone now - chances are that cycling will not be 'fun' again until spring. Although, we have had the odd bout of sunshine.

London's not really the place for rediscovering cycling IMO. A bit too manic. Give me the countryside any day.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • didn't know you'd been injured....just take it easy. as others have said, its meant to be fun so just in your own time.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    get warm gear and start on nice days, maybe limit it to a couple of days a week
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    benefits_bike.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Linsen,

believe2.jpg

I believe in you!

This is a DDD advert of awesome (tm.)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Courage_Make_a_Bicycle_Turn.jpg

(Don't follow where your path may lead. Instead, make your own way and leave a path)
  • linsen wrote:

None whatsoever.

Get on yer bike, yer lazy ka! Gawd knows, you teachers have so much bleedin' free time you need to 'ave summint to keep yer busy! And yer overpaid, the bleedin' lot of yers!

No?

Oh well. There goes my career as a motivational speaker.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Hold off until you feel like it, or until it's one of those lovely crisp, sunny winter mornings, then tog up and go for a pootle - won't take you long to realise what you are missing.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Hold off until you feel like it, or until it's one of those lovely crisp, sunny winter mornings, then tog up and go for a pootle - won't take you long to realise what you are missing.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    linsen wrote:

None whatsoever.

Hello you, I have to find 130 miles this weekend I'd be more than happy to ride on down, go for a pootle with you and ride home again, that should knock off a few miles :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    After being hit by a motorboat, my back and hip was in a bad way, but it got better. At the time I didn't know whether I would ride my bike or walk without pain again, but I did.

I found cycling gave me freedom again. Before I was walking along being overtaken by OAPs (honestly) I was hobbling along slowly and painfully. The world was rushing by me in fast forward, and I was stuck in slow motion

Initially I couldn't even get on my bike, but I dropped the saddle and shuffled over the back wheel to the seat, sat down and the pressure was taken off my hips, it felt ok. So I had a quick short cycle along the road.

I could move at a walking pace again! I felt the wind in my face and what's left of my receding hair. The month or so of painfully stuttering along was a memory, I was back with the pace of normal people, and it felt great. I was liberated from my aching body for a few minutes...till I went over a pot hole and it hurt like hell! :shock:

Try it, it doesn't have to be a long ride, just around the block to begin with, you rode your bike for a reason before, find that reason and enjoy it again.
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs