Paco Mancebo, Puerto and more

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited October 2010 in Pro race
A story here:
http://www.newcyclingpathway.com/news/b ... os-arribas

It's not a quick read and awkwardly translated. But worth pursuing to the end. If you want the summary, it claims Mancebo was encouraged to go to Fuentes by his boss (presumably Unzue) and then in time, Fuentes worked with him but not much, at times he was given "placebo" treatments. Yet he was taken to the cleaners, blacklisted and more. All whilst Valverde became a millionaire.

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Cracking read.

You've got to feel for Mancebo. It sounds like he tried to do something useful and has been punished for it.

Good guys dope. Bad guys dope.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    He was still the most disappointing bust for me. I loved his crazy timetrialling with his head over to one side. Always looked like he was suffering and on the limit. I had figured he was clean.

Now it seems he was. Sort of. Then resorted to cheating which did him no good. A sad tale.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    What an interesting read! If true then you have to feel for Mancebo; although the fact he admits to taking certain drugs surely means he would be landed with a 2yr ban- even if they had little or no effect??
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Oh yes, it's a ban. But it's interesting to read of the protection Valverde gets. And how presumably Unzue says "go to Fuentes" yet now he won't touch him, all whilst the Movistar team has been created to home Valv and Contador.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,811
    it really isn't in the interests of the Peloton to support this behaviour anymore..its not like these top guys and management are going to stand by the little guys anymore or ever did... the landis thing is just another facet of this.

no one likes a snitch I can get but its a one way street

winner takes all.

flick em into a ditch would be a reasonable emotional response if outing people is not on..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm