Pro riders to use glass bottles?

GazelleBoy
GazelleBoy Posts: 32
edited October 2010 in Pro race
Take a look at this:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14102010/ ... xcuse.html

Quote:
Rabin conceded there were other explanations for the presence of plasticizers, which can enter a person's system through drinking out of plastic containers or eating meat that has been wrapped in plastic.

It's a good job riders dont use anything plastic, like bidons or energy gels packets.

Looks like the UCI will be banning any use in life of anything plastic so they can detect blood doping.

Next excuse will be:
No havent been blood doping it must have been when I was eating an icecream and I licked the plastic spoon.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike.
Then I realised that The Lord doesn\'t work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me.

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    why not just store the blood in glass?
    exercise.png
  • TheStone wrote:
    why not just store the blood in glass?

It would coagulate, if I remember correctly.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Lets not get all worked up. They're not just looking for plasticisers, they're looking for extreme volumes of them.

They know what a normal modern persons levels look like, they know what blood doping looks like.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Exactly. It's about having much higher levels than everyone else. That doesn't prove anything, but it raises alarm bells. Especially given the presence in the blood stream vs urine, the ratio here could give clues about whether it was ingested or infused.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I thought a plastisizer could only be absorbed through an infusion, otherwise it just heads straight through the digestive system.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,811
    Timoid. wrote:
    I thought a plastisizer could only be absorbed through an infusion, otherwise it just heads straight through the digestive system.

AIUI I think the amounts absorbed through digestion vs infusion are spectacularly different
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    So zero chance of a positive from a water bottle then?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Kléber
    Well, it would be strange to get a very high score on the rest day, let's put it that way. Especially if you also score much higher than everyone else.

Maybe he spent the evening chewing on a biro or, like an unfortunate dolphin, swallowed a plastic bag.

Because a grand tour contender in pro cycling blood doping? That's unthinkable.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I read they tested 20,000 cattle at some point in the 1990s none came back + for clen. AC, you're history!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I read they tested 20,000 cattle at some point in the 1990s none came back + for clen. AC, you're history!

Yeah but that was the EPO period for cattle, they should have tested them in the 80's ;)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Isn't the plastic that blood comes in a different quality than other plastics though?

Thinks.

More like a camelbak in fact.

End of argument with self.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tusher wrote:
    Isn't the plastic that blood comes in a different quality than other plastics though?

Thinks.

More like a camelbak in fact.

End of argument with self.

Aren't you a nurse, or am I mistaken?

Anyway, I believe the plasticizers that seep into the blood are there by design (the help stabilze the blood and maintain its integrity), rather than by unavoidable accident.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Glass bottles ?

What a bad Meff the topic starter is!
    Lets think hmmmm mixing nice light tubs and dropped bottles through feeding areas, and smacking joe public in the face.

Guess you did not fall out of the nouse tree eh? Get real
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,811
    Timoid. wrote:
    So zero chance of a positive from a water bottle then?

AIUI

but i aint the pope of dope
    who is in fact belgium obviously
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Kléber
    Might I dare to suggest that you didn't visit the humour garden either?
  • :lol:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Glass bottles ?

What a bad Meff the topic starter is!
    Lets think hmmmm mixing nice light tubs and dropped bottles through feeding areas, and smacking joe public in the face.

Thick by name, thick by nature? It's obviously a joke

It's looking more and more like Contador is boned, sorry FF, the best I think Contador fans can hope for is a ban of less than two years but I can't see that as a likely outcome. The presence of these plasticizers combined with the drug...It just seems to point to one thing.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live