guides

2»

Comments

• Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    my details are up too. if not, I'll see you all on Jamaica Road.
  • I'm SE London too and clearly we are a friendly bunch! I'm happy to guide anyone from Crystal Palace over to SW London though it isn't a terribly frequented route so there may be no takers for this!
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    edited October 2010
    Right, now I need a forum buddy. Lots of people have links in their signatures and I thought it would be useful to have a link to the spreadsheet in there. But I haven't figured out how to do it without copying the whole google caboodle.

EDIT: wey hey, if all else fails read the instructions!!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm SE London too. Sometimes along OKR, sometimes the route that others have listed along Deptford Ch St up to Chancery Lane. I think you need a column on the spreadsheet to list your start and finish time, I tend to do the route between 8 and 8.30ish but I know other people here commute from about 7am or laterthan me from 8.30-9. If you need a guide you'll need to find someone who does your route more or less at the same time as you.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I'm SE London too. Sometimes along OKR, sometimes the route that others have listed along Deptford Ch St up to Chancery Lane. I think you need a column on the spreadsheet to list your start and finish time, I tend to do the route between 8 and 8.30ish but I know other people here commute from about 7am or laterthan me from 8.30-9. If you need a guide you'll need to find someone who does your route more or less at the same time as you.

So, a couple of columns like of ''time window - am'' and ''time window - pm'' for earliest departure and latest arrival times? Does that cover it or would we need an earliest departure, latest departure, earliest arrival and a latest arrival time? For now - early stages - you can sort the list alphabetically by ''journeys to'' (col B) or ''journeys from'' (Col C) and this will group them together - so you should be able to see the range of choices for a particular destination/departure point.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    dhope wrote:
    Bah, Google Docs banned at work

try logging in to your google account using the link on the google homepage in the top right and then accessing google docs using https
    Hat + Beard
  • Headhuunter
    I'm SE London too. Sometimes along OKR, sometimes the route that others have listed along Deptford Ch St up to Chancery Lane. I think you need a column on the spreadsheet to list your start and finish time, I tend to do the route between 8 and 8.30ish but I know other people here commute from about 7am or laterthan me from 8.30-9. If you need a guide you'll need to find someone who does your route more or less at the same time as you.

So, a couple of columns like of ''time window - am'' and ''time window - pm'' for earliest departure and latest arrival times? Does that cover it or would we need an earliest departure, latest departure, earliest arrival and a latest arrival time? For now - early stages - you can sort the list alphabetically by ''journeys to'' (col B) or ''journeys from'' (Col C) and this will group them together - so you should be able to see the range of choices for a particular destination/departure point.

Yeah something like that. "Journey time AM" and "Journey Time PM" or something
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    oh and cyclopsbiker I just saw your name on the spreadsheet. apologies for calling you 'fella' in my previous post. :oops:
    Hat + Beard
  • I'm SE London too. Sometimes along OKR, sometimes the route that others have listed along Deptford Ch St up to Chancery Lane. I think you need a column on the spreadsheet to list your start and finish time, I tend to do the route between 8 and 8.30ish but I know other people here commute from about 7am or laterthan me from 8.30-9. If you need a guide you'll need to find someone who does your route more or less at the same time as you.

How's this?
  • Headhuunter

How's this?

Yeah that looks good
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Excellent work!!

Signature duly updated.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • hatbeard wrote:
    oh and cyclopsbiker I just saw your name on the spreadsheet. apologies for calling you 'fella' in my previous post. :oops:

no problem at all :D
  • think I've also updated my signature but don't know how to make it like your's Butterd2???
  • Cyclopsbiker,

If you put the code below into your signature and then remove the space between the [ and url at the beginning of the address it should work. (I put the space in so that it didn't automatically turn into a link itself.)

[ url=https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvTt5zy1mk86dDRhdkJRdVJ4VDdITDdSdk1PWlhlMEE&hl=en]Looking for a cycling buddy? [/url]
  • My boyfriend who is an avid cyclist took me out a couple of times to show my the best way to get to work just before I started commuting. I really don't think that I would have had the confidence to go out there otherwise. He showed me many things to look out for and things that I should and shouldn't be doing on the bike which has served me well over the last couple of months.

So I definitely think that guides are a good idea for us newbies
  • Update...

In case the names on the Cycling Buddies spreadsheet start spreading to other areas, I just sent a PM to WhyAmIHere to sound him out about the possibility of including a link on his ''information for beginners'' sticky on Commuting General - it seemed the most logical place to put it without overloading the forum tops with stickies. Any other ideas?

Meanwhile, does anybody think it might be worth starting a new thread or new threads on different forums, saying what the aims of the list are? And also for emphasising that we're not insured cycling instructors, just experienced cyclists who know their area and are happy to show new/returning riders routes and give them general roadcraft advice? I'm just worried about visibility and people thinking that it's only for SE London when, in theory, it could be useful for just about any more-or-less urban commuting centre. Also, it doesn't even have to be BR-based, that's simply where this particular list first started.

Another thought - I was mindful that people would change their commutes, jobs, availability over time - I put the ''last updated'' column in so that, after a period of time, say every 3 (?) months, I could PM/email the contacts and check whether their details were still correct and active. While the list's still small, maintenance should be minimal. And then, if there's no reply, I could delete the record because it had since become dormant. Reasonable?
  • Another SE Londoner on the list although a pootler compared to most of you. Hmmm, perhaps that might be less intimidating to a rookie commuter... Suspect there may be more take up in the spring months. It's a rare breed who start at this time of year...
  • Another SE Londoner on the list although a pootler compared to most of you. Hmmm, perhaps that might be less intimidating to a rookie commuter... Suspect there may be more take up in the spring months. It's a rare breed who start at this time of year...

Yes, I think it is less intimidating. Safety and awareness first, the racing can come afterwards once the confidence/desire is there. I've come up to nasty junctions before and I've stopped first to plan a strategy first - it's not quick but I was still alive when I last checked (I'll check again in the morning). In fact, it's probably the faster, regular commuters that may have to allow a little extra journey time if they're buddying.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Added myself, and added a column to mention the bike you're riding
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Update...

In case the names on the Cycling Buddies spreadsheet start spreading to other areas, I just sent a PM to WhyAmIHere to sound him out about the possibility of including a link on his ''information for beginners'' sticky on Commuting General - it seemed the most logical place to put it without overloading the forum tops with stickies. Any other ideas?

Meanwhile, does anybody think it might be worth starting a new thread or new threads on different forums, saying what the aims of the list are? And also for emphasising that we're not insured cycling instructors, just experienced cyclists who know their area and are happy to show new/returning riders routes and give them general roadcraft advice? I'm just worried about visibility and people thinking that it's only for SE London when, in theory, it could be useful for just about any more-or-less urban commuting centre. Also, it doesn't even have to be BR-based, that's simply where this particular list first started.

Another thought - I was mindful that people would change their commutes, jobs, availability over time - I put the ''last updated'' column in so that, after a period of time, say every 3 (?) months, I could PM/email the contacts and check whether their details were still correct and active. While the list's still small, maintenance should be minimal. And then, if there's no reply, I could delete the record because it had since become dormant. Reasonable?

DM, pretty much agree with everything you suggest there, thanks for pushing this. Only thing is I may have to remove myself from the experienced riders category (pls see my tempting fate thread) - that would have fun with a novice in tow!!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2 wrote:
    Update...

DM, pretty much agree with everything you suggest there, thanks for pushing this. Only thing is I may have to remove myself from the experienced riders category (pls see my tempting fate thread) - that would have fun with a novice in tow!!

Butterd2....you'd have been showing the novice how not to do it...so a valuable lesson :lol:
    seriously, glad yr ok. pride aside.

DM - new threads on other forums would be a good idea. we need to ensure cyclists from other areas of London get involved too....unless it's only the SE that's friendly :)
  • DM - new threads on other forums would be a good idea. we need to ensure cyclists from other areas of London get involved too....unless it's only the SE that's friendly Smile

Nah, the others are just a bit shy. But that may be changing - I'd like to welcome el presidente, our first West Londoner, who's just put his name down. :wink:

I'll get onto posting a thread or two on other forums this afternoon.
  • I said I'd get around to posting a thread or two yesterday afternoon to up the profile but I got sidetracked. I then wondered whether I should wait until Monday, when more commuters might spot it.

Ooh, look, sunshine...must go...
  • A wee update. I've put a new topic up on Commuting General with a couple of links, and if it's suitable is it is, the news from Modsville is that it may could get made into a sticky so that it doesn't disappear from view. It will be interesting to see whether it can grow and become genuinely useful.

Thinking about it (and having had some positive feedback from outside BR), it doesn't have to be limited to commuting, nor does it have to be limited to BR (even though all the contacts are via BR so far).
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Mod interruption - I've made DM's topic sticky in Commuting General, so all info can be found there.

Carry on.
  • Many thanks for that, WAIH. It would be great if it turns out to be useful, if not, oh well, no harm done....

EDITed to make it look like English :oops: