Rechargeable Batteries

squibnocket
squibnocket Posts: 207
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
Just bought some lights for my commute winter training and I'm not sure what are the best rechargable batteries to purchase.
Any advice greatly please appologies if it's been covered before.

Also I've just built up a road bike for best :D how do I post up pics to show it off.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    What size/type of battery are you after?
  • I buy all my rechargeable batteries from 7dayshop.com.
    The AAAs go upto 1100 mAh and the AAs go upto 3000 mAh. I buy their own brand and have not had any fail on me yet.

They also do a great charger called a v8 super charger. This does a great job of keeping the batteries in tip top condition.
  • I recommend Vapextech Batteries. People in the "Radio Controlled Car/Boat/Plane" community swear by them, and their prices and spec are very competitive. The UK distributor is also very good to deal with.

I have no affiliation with the company, just a happy customer.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Batteries that claim to be 2900MaH or 3000 MaH rarely are when you actually get them. I've got one of those Technoiline intelligent chargers and as soon as I get neww AA or AAA rechargeables I do a "refresh" charge on them and the most I ever get is about 2600 or 2700 MaH. It's like cars - they claim that they can do 0-60 in 3 seconds but that's in a vacuum lab test or something. Having said that the Vapextech ones are pretty good and cheap...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Yep, that's my set up although since I haven't used the batteries over the summer, they seem to have lost a fair amount of power
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Thanks to all who posted replies much appreciated
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have one of these (the Maha Wizard One), and it is very good, however the BL-700 does virtually everything the Maha does. As for betteries, the Powerex are probably the best I have used, but again, for much less money, the Vapextech 2900mah AA's offer the best price/performance ratio and come close to the Powerex in all but price (the tests on the Maha charger show actual capacity, so I know how they compare). Vapextech also deliver promptly and free.
  • GMRK
    GMRK Posts: 22
    alfablue wrote:
    I have one of these (the Maha Wizard One), and it is very good, however the BL-700 does virtually everything the Maha does. As for betteries, the Powerex are probably the best I have used, but again, for much less money, the Vapextech 2900mah AA's offer the best price/performance ratio and come close to the Powerex in all but price (the tests on the Maha charger show actual capacity, so I know how they compare). Vapextech also deliver promptly and free.

Cheers for that - I first saw the Maha charger a couple of years ago but never got round to investing in one, I'm usually a bit concerned about buying something 'techie' that's not been updated for 18-24 months in case something else cheaper/better has come along that I don't know about, so you've probably saved me a few quid if the BL-700 is just as good for a semi-casual user as you say?

I had a set of four of the Vapextech Instant batteries but lost them when I misplaced my Cateye front light with them in somewhere last year.
  • alfablue
    GMRK wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Cheers for that - I first saw the Maha charger a couple of years ago but never got round to investing in one, I'm usually a bit concerned about buying something 'techie' that's not been updated for 18-24 months in case something else cheaper/better has come along that I don't know about, so you've probably saved me a few quid if the BL-700 is just as good for a semi-casual user as you say?
    Well, I haven't used the BL-700, but looking at the spec it does most or all that the Maha does, the main difference I can see is that it has charge rates of 200, 500 or 700ma, whereas the Maha is variable in 100ma increments up to 2000ma I think. This means you can't charge as fast, but then I don't use high charge rates as they aren't so kind to the batteries. It does include refresh and discharge options which is useful for evaluating the health of your batteries and helps you decide when to replace them (i.e. when new, my vapextech 2900mah will usually have about 2450 or 2500 capacity, when I can no longer get 2000mah I ditch them - or relegate them to remote controls or other low drain items). So, with the caveat that I haven't actually used it, it would be the one I would choose myself now.
  • Aldi recharger and batteries (AA say 2300) are ok and cheap - but like the cycling stuff they tend not to be available all year round.

I have a Uniross charger from Wilkos which was rubbish.
    Aldi charger has red light while charging - green light when batteries ready - and it doesn't seem to lie.
  • alfablue
    SimonLyons wrote:
    Aldi recharger and batteries (AA say 2300) are ok and cheap - but like the cycling stuff they tend not to be available all year round.

I have a Uniross charger from Wilkos which was rubbish.
    Aldi charger has red light while charging - green light when batteries ready - and it doesn't seem to lie.
    I would always use a "smart" charger - i.e. one that monitors the state of the batteries rather than just using a timer - "dumb" chargers cook batteries quite fast and can quickly half the capacity of the batteries, so are false economy (same applies to super-fast chargers). I don't know if the Aldi one is or isn't.

Cheapest charger I would use is Vapextech's LCD World charger (says its ultra fast, but it isn't really).  4 AAs take 4 hours. Individually monitored cells, £14.95 delivered.