How to get meth off of my brake pads?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2010 in MTB general
should I burn it off or wash with water? please tell me which is the better way to get them as clean as possible
I have soaked them overnight and are still soaking in the methylated spirit right now

Comments

• damo2576
    damo2576 Posts: 236
    that sh1t will kill ya

sorry couldn't resist.

seriously tho i would wear it off (by riding and braking) rather than add any more chemicals etc
  • Anonymous
    Pretty sure you're as good as knackered. Meths leaves a horrible oily residue. Get some new pads, and clean the rotor with alchohol.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Pretty sure you're as good as knackered. Meths leaves a horrible oily residue. Get some new pads, and clean the rotor with alchohol.

This...
  • Anonymous

Where do i get alcohol for cleaning the disc?
  • Anonymous
    Now that, I do not know, unfortunately. I know we buy in isopropyl alchohol for cleaning the heads on old tape machines from an industry supplier, but otherwise, I have no idea where you'd look.
    Try Boots, or a local chemist, somewhere like that.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Huh? Didn't think meths left any residue, white spirit does, but meths should be absolutely fine surely? Just fit them and ride.
  • Anonymous
    Any time I've had to use meths to clean anything non bike related, it always leaves behind a nasty film. It might be down to individual brands of meths, I dunno. I've not come across a clean one yet though.
  • Anonymous
    Guess I'll go clean it off and tell you if it works as a cleaner
  • Anonymous
    OK everyone, im going to try to bake the pads, this is when you put them in the oven when they have been contaminated, so all the oils will evaporate and GFTO my pads.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    you guys are kidding me right?

piece of piss to clean them, get something with a blue flame and burn it off.

hope you got sintered pads.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273

Where do i get alcohol for cleaning the disc?

I use some cheap nasty vodka I had lying about. Seems to work.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Meths isn't just meths, it's got the colouring in it to stop people thinking it's vodka or something :roll: It's probably this that will leave the residue.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Meths is plant based alcohol with additives to taste bad.

I use meths to clean my rotors, pads etc. If my pads get contaminated, I soak them in meths then set them alight, the meths burns off the contamination.

Meths improves the performance of my brakes, not reduces it.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That I have to disagree with - meths varies so much you have to be careful. some is simply alcohol, methylated alcohol and colour, but some of these 'additives' are oily, and do leave a residue. Any may not burn off.

Test first.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You want medical grade 99% pure IsoPropanol Alchohol known as IPA there are several peeps on ebay sell it my last lot cost me £6 for a litre
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    IsoPropanol Alcohol... several peeps on ebay sell it

I get mine from the local Chemist. They grilled me about what I was using if for but once I persuaded them it wasn't for explosives or narcotics they were happy to take my money.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    you can get IPA from places like Maplin too.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what residue is it?

i find this rather odd of you have some cheap stuff that is a different mix to normal.

it is often used as a glass cleaner as it does not leave a residue.

but then i never soak my pads if they are contaminated as they are never as good as they should be.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • :shock: Just what are you guys riding through in order to get your pads so contaminated you have to resort to spirits/ovens/flames to clean them :shock:

As a biker (extremely fast engine kind) of many years I have never had to resort to such treatment :?

Unless the pads are dunked in fork oil or brake fluid or any other oil based contaminant a scrub with a stiff brush and just water should be sufficient.

:?:

Be nice to all cyclists - you may want to borrow a pump one day :-)
  • Why not just use a tin of car or motorbike brake cleaner from a motor factors or Halfords?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    some contain oils to prevent iron discs rusting.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IPA-ISOPROPYL-ALC ... 47&afsrc=1

local chemists are a rip off.

Mix 50/50 with water. Good for disinfecting work surfaces as well.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Go to the pound store and buy a CD scratch remover. Comes with a spray bottle of IPA. It's something like 50% alcohol.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    If my brake pads get contaminated with oil/brake fluid/white spirits, I bin them.

If they get covered with a lot of bike cleaner I douse them with meths and burn it off.

New pads get put on my aga to drive off the last bit of volatile fluids to 'condition' them before I put them on the bike.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails