Commuting: Practice first or just MTFU and do it?

hatbeard
hatbeard Posts: 1,087
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Hey all,

I'm a rookie commuter who only got his bike on friday (and has yet to actually ride it).

I'm planning on commuting Greenwich -> Farringdon on it but as someone who hasn't rode a bike in about 15 years the thought of doing battle with london traffic is a little err daunting.

I'm strongly thinking about just saying eff it and riding in tomorrow morning leaving nice and early and giving myself plenty of time to get there so i'm not stressing my speed etc

for all the commuters out there how did you get started? is it better to try and do a couple of rides on the weekend to get myself back in the saddle as it were or as the thread title says am I just being a big wuss and I need to MTFU and go do it?

the other option I thought of was taking the bike on the riverboat to london bridge / tower hill and cycling from there to cut the journey in two and ease myself into it.
Hat + Beard

Comments

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    just crack on my friend!!

and welcome aboard
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    edited October 2010
    I went through my commute on a weekend to get the best route with no time constraints so it was nice and relaxed. Worth doing if you are not sure of the way.

The traffic you will get used to and learn to master tricky situations. You can't practice this just have to go and deal with it.

Best of luck.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I went through my commute on a weekend to get the best route with no time constraints so it was nice and relaxed. Worth doing if your not sure of the way.

The traffic you will get used to and learn to master tricky situations. You can't practice this just have to go and deal with it.

Best of luck.

+1 Ride the route on a Sunday then just dive in. You can always just ride a few days a week to start with, but there's no substitute for just getting on with it.

Enjoy, 'tis much fun.
  • Can you drive? Would you drive up to (say) central London early on a Sunday in preparation for the real drive up to work on Monday?

Nah.

Jump in. It's one of those things that looks a lot more dangerous than it is when you're on the outside looking in.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    There are 2 bits of advice that I'd give to new cycle commuters:

1) NEVER EVER undertake a lorry, ESPECIALLY if there's a chance it could turn left.

2) Read Cyclecraft.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    As above. If you've not actually ridden the bike it's probably best to have a shakedown ride where there is no time pressure just in case you find the brakes don't work or the saddle is at the wrong height etc

Wish I'd done that before I took a new bike to the Alps. We live, we learn :wink:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Can you drive? Would you drive up to (say) central London early on a Sunday in preparation for the real drive up to work on Monday?

Nah.

Jump in. It's one of those things that looks a lot more dangerous than it is when you're on the outside looking in.

Wot he said.

Leave plenty of time, as you've already said, and perhaps warn work that you're cycling in for the first time and you may be late.

I found navigation the biggest issue, traffic wasn't a problem (Mayfair to Liverpool Street).
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    What route are you planning on taking, I go from Charlton, over Tower Bridge to Aldgate?

http://beta.mapmyride.com/routes/detail/23651778/

I would say MTFU but it will be a bit of a shock to the system, happy to hook up with you for a ride in if you leave 8:00-8:30ish?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Greg66 wrote:
    Can you drive? Would you drive up to (say) central London early on a Sunday in preparation for the real drive up to work on Monday?

Nah.

LOL I spent a sunday morning "teaching" my (not so current) wife driving from Clapton to Blackfriars several times in order that she could drive in. She still failed miserably :D
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I thought about doing a dry run at the weekend before I started commuting, but in the end didn't get round to it.

Just do it. Within the first 500 metres, you'll wonder what was stopping you before.

And welcome aboard. I'll say hello as I pass you on the Old Kent Road if you head that way. :D
  • You can also use googlemaps eye view and go along your route using the pictures...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    You also need to read all of this first. :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    No one else has said it, so...

Make the extra bits as easy as possible for yourself.... have your survival kit ready (spare tube, tools, lights etc) ready the night before. Have a change of clothing / shower (cleaning) kit at the office - carry only what you need when cycling as opposed to everything you think you need.

Apart from that - you know the route, go have fun. It IS very safe and as said above, you'll wonder what stopped you!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    the best method to teach a kid to swim is to throw him/her into the deeper side of the pool.

and this theory also apply here.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Leave a bit early, roads are much quieter at 7am than 8am on that route. Not to say that they're dangerous at either time but there's an appreciable difference.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    soy_sauce wrote:
    the best method to find out if a kid can swim is to throw him/her into the deeper side of the pool.

FTFY
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I did mine on a Saturday afternoon first so I could check the route properly. Although I knew most of it by car there were a couple of sections where it was safer to use a cycle path which disappears down the side of a busy A road so I wanted to see what kind of condition the path was in and exactly where it came out. It was also good to be able to ride it without having to worry about time so I could get a feel for the roads and make mental notes of potholes and any other potential problems.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Dive in! :)

I remember I tried a practise run. Got a puncture up a hill, got fed up and came home.

I browsed the net for a bit, looked for the best route (which was different to my practise one anyway) and just did it.

Pack everything the night before, get up nice and early, and just do it.

My only problem was that I was worried about time so left very early, and still cycled very fast. I was outside work before 7am and had to wait 40mins till the doors opened :oops:

My route is probably similar to yours as I go up through Deptford / Evelyn / Lower / Jamaica and onto Barbican.

I find it quite an easy route and traffic never gives me any problem. The earlier you go the less traffic there is, but the more traffic there is, the slower it moves. I don't mind either way now.

p.s., the longer you leave it, the more your'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier!
  • hatbeard
    You can also use googlemaps eye view and go along your route using the pictures...

have already done this but it's a very good suggestion.

and thanks everyone for the suggestions/advice.

@ketsbaia... I'll get right on that :lol:

@butterd2 thanks for the offer I'll probably leave VERY early (7am) so I can nip into my gym and shower before I get to work anyways.

If worst comes to worst I've been training for a 10k run this sunday anyways so if it does get too much I'll just lock the bike up somewhere and run in :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • When I started commuting I bought a bike on a Sunday and started riding to work the next day, from Rotherhithe to Holborn so not too different from your route.

The main thing that struck me is that the viewpoint on a bike is totally different from what I was used to when driving, so everything seemed to be coming at me from all angles at once. That took a couple of trips to get used to.

For the first week I was knackered and pukey every morning when I got to work but that was down to fatness and over-enthusiasm.

It's all much easier than it seems in the first week though, so just get stuck in. You won't realise how much you like it until the first time you're forced back onto public transport for a day.

Since you're in Greenwich you should have a look in Decathlon next to Canada Water station for bits and pieces - cycle stuff there is much cheaper than most places.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    hatbeard wrote:
    If worst comes to worst I've been training for a 10k run this sunday anyways so if it does get too much I'll just lock the bike up somewhere and run in :lol:

This is funny. On my route in I often wonder why everyone is waiting for the bus and / or tube.

I'm always like, but it's a straight road, then a right turn over London Bridge and your there, in the City, you can all walk it so easy! :)
  • hatbeard
    Since you're in Greenwich you should have a look in Decathlon next to Canada Water station for bits and pieces - cycle stuff there is much cheaper than most places.

That's quite useful. I already spent a £1000 at evans (see the what I just bought thread) with my cycle to work voucher but I price matched everything so saved myself about £300 on top of the tax benefits of C2w so I'm pretty well kitted out already but I still need some cycling clothes (will make do with my running kit for now for base layer etc) so I'll definitely check them out.
    Hat + Beard
  • You can never underestimate the need for good quality clothing - Particularly in the rain and cold. Also, it's unusual to see someone with too many lights.

Defo get some high-class thermal, waterproof gloves and overshoes (hands and feet are always the worst in the cold)
    Good waterproof, close-fitting if possible
    Thermal microfibre balaclava reeeeeeally helps in the cold
    Get a decent mini-floor pump
    Good mini-tool, spare tube, tyre levers and park tyre patches for emergencies
    Spare brake pads
    Cereal bar in case you have a blood sugar crash (try not to have one with choc on it in case it melts)

At work it may be a good idea to keep some spare kit if you have a real mare - track pump, spare tyre, spare light, spare chain, cables and public transport fare in case your bike is unrideable, even a basic cycling toolkit (edinburgh bikes one is good)

Do all that and you'll only have to worry about catastrophic failure, which (touch wood) is very rare and unlikely.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    all of the above and plot your route on here:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

if you only put two points in (ie start and finish) it'll in theory plot your best route and show you the gradient.

i go along quite a bit of that route and you've got some lovely bus lanes to use. it'll be fine. head down and get on with it :D
  • mese13
    mese13 Posts: 38
    Butterd2 wrote:
    What route are you planning on taking, I go from Charlton, over Tower Bridge to Aldgate?

That's definately the route you want, or a portion thereof. Don't go anywhere near the Old Kent Road - it can get pretty hairy - and is too far south for your commute - you'd probably add a mile to your journey.

Just crack on with it. The bits to look out for are:

Greenwich oneway - make sure you're in the correct lane & no undertaking on the left hand corners
    Deptford - keep on the LHS of stationary traffic rather than overtaking - they normally leave a gap for cyclists, and it would get too exciting facing the oncoming traffic
    KFC - little hump over the bridge where the cycle lane starts; watch the left hand turn (to the tip) shortly after - make sure anyone intending to turn left has seen you, and knows damn well that you're going stright on and that they're not going to hook you
    Surrey Quays oneway - hang in the bus lane
    Rotherhithe - roundabout is easyy on the way in
    Bermondsey - starts getting busy - may want to head up the middle; lots of buses to overtake; watch out on the ped crossings too

Then there are various ways up to Farringdon so try out a few to discover what suits. You could stay south on Southwark street and head over Blackfriars Bridge or head over Tower Bridge & weave your way up through the City.

Start to memorise the roads as well, favourite potholes etc. and sections where it backs up or gets tight. You'll tweak your speed accordingly.

On your way home the only real difference, apart from it perhaps being dark, is Rotherhithe roundabout. Hang in the bus lane and then move into the centre 30m before the roundabout. Stay central on the roundbout and then bear left to Surrey Quays. Eye contact with the drivers coming out of the tunnel to ensure they've seen you.

Best advise: take it easy to start with, but be assertive, and make sure you've got some decent lights if you're coming back late.
  • Butterd2
    hatbeard wrote:

@butterd2 thanks for the offer I'll probably leave VERY early (7am) so I can nip into my gym and shower before I get to work anyways.

Ah, that's more dhope's kind of time......

All the best, see you on the SCR thread soon!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2
    mese13 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

Greenwich oneway - make sure you're in the correct lane & no undertaking on the left hand corners
    Deptford - keep on the LHS of stationary traffic rather than overtaking - they normally leave a gap for cyclists, and it would get too exciting facing the oncoming traffic
    KFC - little hump over the bridge where the cycle lane starts; watch the left hand turn (to the tip) shortly after - make sure anyone intending to turn left has seen you, and knows damn well that you're going stright on and that they're not going to hook you
    Bermondsey - starts getting busy - may want to head up the middle; lots of buses to overtake; watch out on the ped crossings too

On your way home the only real difference, apart from it perhaps being dark, is Rotherhithe roundabout. Hang in the bus lane and then move into the centre 30m before the roundabout. Stay central on the roundbout and then bear left to Surrey Quays. Eye contact with the drivers coming out of the tunnel to ensure they've seen you.

Some good advice there, only one I would debate is staying on the inside through Deptford, personally I prefer to ride down the centre with the motorbikes avoiding the risk of sideswipes or left hookers. Prob depends on your speed as to which is more appropriate.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • hatbeard
    mese13 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

That's definitely the route you want, or a portion thereof. Don't go anywhere near the Old Kent Road - it can get pretty hairy - and is too far south for your commute - you'd probably add a mile to your journey.

Just crack on with it. The bits to look out for are:

Then there are various ways up to Farringdon so try out a few to discover what suits. You could stay south on Southwark street and head over Blackfriars Bridge or head over Tower Bridge & weave your way up through the City.

Start to memorise the roads as well, favourite potholes etc. and sections where it backs up or gets tight. You'll tweak your speed accordingly.

Best advise: take it easy to start with, but be assertive, and make sure you've got some decent lights if you're coming back late.

thanks for this...

I think that I may compromise a little and commute in, then head to london bridge on the way back and get overland/riverboat back until my confidence increases a little before trying to ride the whole way back in the dark. my travelcard is valid for the rest of the month so I may as well get some use out of it before it gets retired for occassional paygo usage only.
    Hat + Beard
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    At the very least, have a ride of your bike somewhere easy and safe first, both to ensure it's set up correctly and to reassure yourself that you won't do anything silly once you start!
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    mese13 wrote:
    That's definitely the route you want, or a portion thereof. Don't go anywhere near the Old Kent Road - it can get pretty hairy - and is too far south for your commute - you'd probably add a mile to your journey.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Old Kent Road - its virtually empty from New Cross to Albany Road!! I've never found it hairy or dangerous, instead its free-flowing and fast :)