2011 Fuji Track Bikes

trackworldcup
trackworldcup Posts: 41
edited November 2010 in Track
As always Fuji have come up with some amazing re-designs of their Track range in time for new season, with a completely revamped range they provide something for all kinds of Track Cyclists ranging from Professionals, Beginners to the Fixed Gear/Single Speed options for the Road

http://www.velodrome.org.uk/fuji2011.html

Comments

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Please excuse my ignorance as I dont really know anything about track bikes but the top of the range bike is quoted as being 7.13kg's. To me that seems really heavy for a bike that seems to be lacking all the stuff which I would assume makes up for the majority of the weight of a normal road bike.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    chunkytfg wrote:
    Please excuse my ignorance as I dont really know anything about track bikes but the top of the range bike is quoted as being 7.13kg's. To me that seems really heavy for a bike that seems to be lacking all the stuff which I would assume makes up for the majority of the weight of a normal road bike.

Weight is pretty much irrelevant on a track bike - strength and stiffness are far more important and providing those properties generally makes the bike heavier.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Fair enough. cheers Pross
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pross wrote:
    chunkytfg wrote:

Weight is pretty much irrelevant on a track bike - strength and stiffness are far more important and providing those properties generally makes the bike heavier.

For anyone that knows - is weight really irrelevant? Especially in an event such as the kilo where every second from a standing start matters? WIll a heavier bike be harder to get moving?
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Pokerface wrote:
    For anyone that knows - is weight really irrelevant? Especially in an event such as the kilo where every second from a standing start matters? WIll a heavier bike be harder to get moving?
    Irrelevant isn’t strictly how I would express it.

Track bikes still have to comply to the 6.8kg UCI minimum limit so a bike coming in at 7.13kg is good from a legality view point. Pross is correct stating that track frames and components are built for (and what I look for as a rider is) strength and stiffness.

What track riders, particularly from a sprinters perspective, don’t get caught up with is building the lightest sub weight limit bike possible – when I’m coming out of the start gate or hitting 40+mph on the banking, I want to know that everything is going to hold up underneath me. But equally we’re not looking to build a 9 or 10kg bike because it is sluggish to accelerate in a sprint or out of the gate.

If you every see a World Cup or the World Champs, each bike is checked for each event before it is allowed to be ridden – most elite level bikes are close to or on the limit.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Pokerface
    Eddy S wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Irrelevant isn’t strictly how I would express it.

Track bikes still have to comply to the 6.8kg UCI minimum limit so a bike coming in at 7.13kg is good from a legality view point. Pross is correct stating that track frames and components are built for (and what I look for as a rider is) strength and stiffness.

What track riders, particularly from a sprinters perspective, don’t get caught up with is building the lightest sub weight limit bike possible – when I’m coming out of the start gate or hitting 40+mph on the banking, I want to know that everything is going to hold up underneath me. But equally we’re not looking to build a 9 or 10kg bike because it is sluggish to accelerate in a sprint or out of the gate.

If you every see a World Cup or the World Champs, each bike is checked for each event before it is allowed to be ridden – most elite level bikes are close to or on the limit.

Thanks for the reply Eddy. I actually ride for a National team - and have been to competitions. I know the bikes get checked. I have ridden both a carbon and steel frame track bike. I personally found the carbon one easier to accelerate with. But track isn't my main discipline, so wanted opinions from those that know before buying my next track bike.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Pokerface wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Eddy. I actually ride for a National team - and have been to competitions. I know the bikes get checked. I have ridden both a carbon and steel frame track bike. I personally found the carbon one easier to accelerate with. But track isn't my main discipline, so wanted opinions from those that know before buying my next track bike.
    Colin,

I was aware you rode for a National team but didn’t realise it included track.

Just an interesting observation W.R.T. frame material: At the National Masters Track champs this year, two of the four overall fastest kilo times were set on steel frames.

If you are able, you need to try a few and see what feels/works best for you. Correct fit and position are probably still the most important factors driven by what discipline you will ride.

I’m very pro carbon track frames that are designed for specific use – I have a Dolan DF3 for sprinting/TT use but still ride my (aluminium) Track Champ for training and it makes a great all-round track bike.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Pokerface
    Eddy S wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Colin,

I was aware you rode for a National team but didn’t realise it included track.

Just an interesting observation W.R.T. frame material: At the National Masters Track champs this year, two of the four overall fastest kilo times were set on steel frames.

If you are able, you need to try a few and see what feels/works best for you. Correct fit and position are probably still the most important factors driven by what discipline you will ride.

I’m very pro carbon track frames that are designed for specific use – I have a Dolan DF3 for sprinting/TT use but still ride my (aluminium) Track Champ for training and it makes a great all-round track bike.

I've owned a Dolan Arc (pre-DF3) and a box standard Dolan Pre-Cursa. The Arc was a joy to ride and the aero frame helped a little. :)

I have Track World's in March and will have to start training for them soon! But need a bike first.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    The arc with disc wheels and pursuit bars is hardly the lightest bike and comes in over 8kg :D but easy to keep rolling when up to speed.
  • slightly OT, but I am thnkking of changing my bike as its too small, and it just doesnt feel right, I cant find the sweet spot on it at all. Any recommendations under £1k ?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    slightly OT, but I am thnkking of changing my bike as its too small, and it just doesnt feel right, I cant find the sweet spot on it at all. Any recommendations under £1k ?
    My yellow chris hoy bike with 853 frame, 58cm, with miche cset, dura ace seat post, zipp 404 wheels :D
  • slightly OT, but I am thnkking of changing my bike as its too small, and it just doesnt feel right, I cant find the sweet spot on it at all. Any recommendations under £1k ?
    My yellow chris hoy bike with 853 frame, 58cm, with miche cset, dura ace seat post, zipp 404 wheels :D

BLING!

Yeah that would suit me...how much but without the zipps? I could do without the sir christopher references too.....

big selection here for under £1000 - http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk/index.p ... ent=8&pg=1