Cycle specific clothing, where have you been all my life?

SamWise72
SamWise72 Posts: 453
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Because my job takes me to different client sites every day, seldom with any opportunity to change, I've tended to ride in my suit, with a leather jacket on top in winter, and a hi vis vest. The most cycle specific it got was padded underwear and, on severe days, a Lidl cycling vest to take the edge off. This meant that arriving at work was a aweaty experience, albeit one I could deal with, given that I don't seem to stink like I did as a teenager, and I have to arrive in plenty of time to cool down.

Recently, however, I bought a soft-shell running jacket (alright, not cycle specific, but I made the wrong call on the bike ones) from Lidl. My new Brompton's cavernous T bag gave me space to lightly roll my jacket, even with everything I needed for the day, so I thought I'd try the soft-shell out as my top layer on dry days. Instant transformation! (Admittedly assisted by not wearing a backpack or messenger bag) I was warmer when I got on the bike, my temperature was better regulated on the ride to the station, and I felt cooler and drier on arrival. Now I just swap the soft shell for my business jacket outside whatever venue I'm at, and walk in looking a lot less hot and flustered.

Yesterday was chilly when I left at 6:15, and today, it had to be 4:15, so I thought it was time to try my Endura BaaBaa base layer and my Aldi skull cap. Again, revelation! Warm torse, minimal sweat (even having to cover an unscheduled journy from Waterloo to Euston flat out (just over 10 mins. Booyah!). I'm working in Milton Keynes Council corporate centre today, where temperature control is haphazard to say the least. Hope I don't bake!
MiniLogo-1.jpg
http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)

Comments

• I've been right here, SamWise72, right here beside you just waiting for you to notice me....

:cry:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol: @ LiT. Nice one.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Assos wrote:
    Hi SamWise you big stud! Wanna play? :twisted:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Amazes me that it takes people so long, do people think we wear lycra* etc for fun?

*ok, ok so some of us do...
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    It wasn't that so much. I have cycling jerseys and tights and so on, I just didn't figure out how to make them work with my job and workwear, but I'll admit to being surprised just how well even a cheap softshell works. I guess I hadn't really drunk the "technical fabrics" kool aid.......
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • yeah, i don't know what the distance is for commuting in regular togs, but i wear lycra, a merino base layer of sorts and a jersey / armwarmers (if need be).
    when it rains, i got an event jacket (DHB). somehow seem wetter inside at the work end of the trip. often thought about a Rapha Softshell as a one garment does all thing for chiily, town riding (nicer than lycra tops) and can be worn with regular trousers for a better outcome as well as with bib tights.
    Comments on softshells anyone?
    Geordiefella
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Amazes me that it takes people so long, do people think we wear lycra* etc for fun?

*ok, ok so some of us do...

Yup, that's always what I figured...... Saw my MD in lycra a few months ago (shudders) once seen impossible to erase from the mind.

Not exactly audaxes but I've done many a 30 mile plus rides (at a good lick) in sawn off trousers or full on jeans (plus I'm a commando guy :oops: ) and never had an ill effect....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Having a bit of a nightmare with cycle specific clothing at the moment. Or rather, one piece of cycle specific clothing.

I bought a couple of compression base layer tops from Aldi (or Lidl, I always get them mixed up) and was really impressed with them....

....Until I realised they were/are giving me a rash on the nape of my neck and crook of my elbows. Gotta go to to Docs to get this sorted, sharpish.

The worst thing about it though is I'm now paranoid about getting another base layer
    a) until the rash clears up and
    b) in case it happens again.

So I have to say cycle specific clothing generally, +100, Crane Sports compression base layers -100000000000.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Just found this site :)

http://outlier.cc

I don't think I could pull of this look though, not without sweat dripping down me face, and ripped trousers from the chain cogs, and black smudges from fumes :D

Outlier-StreetPhilosophy.jpeg
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Yeah you can get proper suit gear ib wicking fabrics now, so even the office crowd can ride more comfortably without needing a full change.... well short journeys usually.

Rapha sell some nice shirts for suits. And trousers Expensive though. :oops: