SPD cleats?

Peter88
Peter88 Posts: 50
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
A quick question for the members who ride clipless

I have been given some Shimano m820 pedals but they have no cleats.Will any SPD compatable cleats fit these pedals?

Sorry if this is elswhere on the forum and thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they come with the pedals.

you will need a system ( pedals and cleats) that uses the same fitting bolt pattern.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    These are the sort of thing you need*:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 000000886/

As Nick says, you'll need shoes that have a two-bolt fitting pattern

* other online stores are available
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    I think the answer's yes. Shimano SPD cleats come in two sorts - black ones which only release sideways and silver one which are more multi-directional, I think
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    crud miss read it.

but is there a typo there ? 820 or 520 i guess 520,

yep MTB pedals so as above 2 bolt fitting and then either the multi or single action release.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I'm guessing you bought some M520's from Absolute cycles on eBay? I grabbed a pair for £13 which is a bargain but they don't come with cleats.

I would personally recommend the SH51's (black) single direction release.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Buy some Shimano SPD shoes and they come with cleats, do they not? Or any shoes that use the SPD system. I know I have spares and I know you can get them from Chain Reactions as well for a couple of quids..
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Buy some Shimano SPD shoes and they come with cleats, do they not? Or any shoes that use the SPD system. I know I have spares and I know you can get them from Chain Reactions as well for a couple of quids..

Cleats come with pedals, not shoes.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • so... I've had two pairs of 520's so far and the 2nd set has a nasty click in the left spindle that only now and again wakes up. It also requires constant greasing at the cleat clip in points or it squeaks constantly...

Will 540's being that bit better and of nicer construction make it worth the extra 15 quid on crc for them. 35 dollah as compared to 20...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Butterd2
    I've got 520's on my FG and XTR's (what ever number they are) on my Roadie. I have to say in terms of weight and performance I cannot tell what I paid the extra £70 for. Hopefully longevity but they will have to last 6 times as long just to break even.

Plus Absolute are still doing them for £14 if you already have cleats which has to be a bargain....
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-M520-Silv ... 339wt_1139
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • so basically, cheaper replace more often will actually end up being as cost effective as the more expensive but only lives slightly longer... If you care less about the mg that you can shave off with the more expensive.
  • Butterd2
    ^^^ Exactly, I weigh 15.5st, how much difference do you think 80 grams makes to me? :D
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2 wrote:
    ^^^ Exactly, I weigh 15.5st, how much difference do you think 80 grams makes to me? :D

2 chocolate bars? :D
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 wrote:

2 chocolate bars? :D

Mmmmm chocolate......
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    Note That Shimano M520's Cost Less Than A Set Of Brand New Cleats For Those Exact Pedals... Note I Bought The M520 Pedals Two Years Ago been Commuting On Them Every Day During That Time, No Problem What So Ever. True They Go Rusty in The Wet Weather But After A Few Uses In The Dry The Rust Goes Away!
  • Peter88
    Peter88 Posts: 50
    Thanks for the replies guys i got the pedals today they are M520's not 820's as i said earlierand they had no cleats.

They came from a guy at work who bought a 2nd hand Carrera which had them fitted but he didn't want them.

Have been to CRC and ordered a set of SH51's and a pair od Diadora shoes for £38 all in :) (didn't want to spend too much just to try the clipless setup)
  • Butterd2
    Good work!

Now for the bad news..... you will have a fall, it will hurt, but you will learn and you will never go back.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    What we do need is a 'where to get cheap SPD cleats' thread.....

M520's at £13 is throw away money. Got XT M770's on both Fixed Road bike and MTB - zero maintenance and very smooth, but only paid £45 for them by looking round, not £70.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Uchiga wrote:
    Note That Shimano M520's Cost Less Than A Set Of Brand New Cleats For Those Exact Pedals... Note I Bought The M520 Pedals Two Years Ago been Commuting On Them Every Day During That Time, No Problem What So Ever. True They Go Rusty in The Wet Weather But After A Few Uses In The Dry The Rust Goes Away!
    Are you a headline writer for the New York Times? :lol:
  • Butterd2
    fossyant wrote:
    What we do need is a 'where to get cheap SPD cleats' thread.....

M520's at £13 is throw away money. Got XT M770's on both Fixed Road bike and MTB - zero maintenance and very smooth, but only paid £45 for them by looking round, not £70.

Mine are XTR's (M970's) for which I paid £70 which is cheep like a budgie
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    edited October 2010
    Using spd's get into the habit of leaning in the direction of the foot you've just unclipped as you come to a stop. Sounds obvious but it will save you flapping like a panicing chicken trying to unclip your other foot as you fall slo-mo to the ground.

Also coming up to a junction/ lights, un cleat in plenty of time if you're starting off.
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    snooks wrote:
    Using spd's get into the habit of leaning in the direction of the foot you've just as you come to a stop. Sounds obvious but it will save you flapping like a panicing chicken trying to unclip your other foot as you fall slo-mo to the ground.

Also coming up to a junction/ lights, un cleat in plenty of time if you're starting off.
    I would go further and say always unclip left and lean left, with a bit of "self talk" as you get used to it, it will soon become a habit. Problems start when you vary the side you lean towards.
  • alfablue wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    Using spd's get into the habit of leaning in the direction of the foot you've just as you come to a stop. Sounds obvious but it will save you flapping like a panicing chicken trying to unclip your other foot as you fall slo-mo to the ground.

I would go further and say always unclip left and lean left, with a bit of "self talk" as you get used to it, it will soon become a habit. Problems start when you vary the side you lean towards.

Especially when it's towards the passing traffic!
  • snooks
    alfablue wrote:
    snooks wrote:

There are at least two parts on my commute where I stop on the right hand side of the road, and also if you ride off road it's nice to be able to unclip on the highside of any single track. That isn't always on the left. It you get used to unclipping on both sides, when you do have to unclip unexpectedly it's not unnatural.
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • alfablue
    Well, its not unnatural, but for beginners, believe me, unclipping one side and leaning the other is the cause of "clipless moments" - getting the habit of one-side is the best way to keep your pride and your skin intact!
  • snooks
    alfablue wrote:
    Well, its not unnatural, but for beginners, believe me, unclipping one side and leaning the other is the cause of "clipless moments"

Which was the point of my post, get into the habit of unclipping and leaning the way of the unclipped foot :)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • lms
    lms Posts: 9
    my advice = get sh56 multi-directional release cleats. I've had a few toppling moments but I have always avoided actually falling because the panic yank releases the cleat .... I believe this would not be the case with the sh51s where they will only release if you make the correct movement.
  • alfablue
    snooks wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    Well, its not unnatural, but for beginners, believe me, unclipping one side and leaning the other is the cause of "clipless moments"

Which was the point of my post, get into the habit of unclipping and leaning the way of the unclipped foot :)
    er, yes, but you are saying the unclipped foot could be either, so then there are 4 possible combinations. . . . oh never mind

basic learning theory
  • snooks
    alfablue wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

er, yes, but you are saying the unclipped foot could be either, so then there are 4 possible combinations. . . . oh never mind

basic learning theory

I'm not riding a tandem, and I've not got 4 legs :D
    All I was saying was:

Uncliping right foot, slow, lean right
    Uncliping left foot, slow, lean left

But don't lean until you've unclipped ;)

If you get into the habit of leaning to the side of your unclipped foot, gravity will take over and you stop on the unclipped foot. If you don't lean you have a 50/50 chance of gravity acting on the side of your unclipped foot :D Which, yes, could be either foot, for the reasons I mentioned above, riding off road, stopping on the right etc

If you don't get into the habit of it then you could find yourself in the left foot unclipped falling right.

Swapping the unclipped foot also varies the leg you push down on for the sprint off the lights :)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • alfablue
    Well, it works for you Snooks, thats fine, but it is far easier to learn lean left unclip left. And easier for newbies is what is relevant here as its newbies that fear (and have) clipless moments. Just common sense that this single sided approach will be reproduced more reliably and safely.

If you are used to leaning either way and unclipping either way you have more chance of leaning right, unclipping left or leaning left and unclipping right (i.e. 50% chance of getting it wrong) - and indeed there are 4 options, because add to these the other two when you get it right. If you never unclip right and never lean right then you never come a cropper (i.e. youget it wrong 0%)! After 15 years of all sorts of riding on and off road I never felt the need to unclip right, though as an experienced rider I probably do so intuitively sometimes.
  • I completely disagree! It depends entirely which is your 'chocolate' foot. It is no more sensical to say that everyone should be right-handed than to say everyone should unclip to the left.

As it happens, I do usually unclip left, and actually wish I varied it a bit more, as there are situations where I need to unclip to the right, and find myself having problems because I'm not used to doing so. For example, waiting at a right turn light, I'm on the RHS of the lane, and want to put my right foot on the kerb.

Anyhow, most people will have one or two 'clipless moments' - we all know you need to lean towards the foot you've unclipped, as it's going to be the one on the ground shortly. Doesn't mean we always do it though!

:D